Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
A $20K car will need $30k in work.
A $30k car will need $10k in work.
Any pre 90's car you buy will cost you $40 - $50k I don't care how you slice it.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan A View Post
Wouldn’t want one for free. What next, buy a Kia?
Old 01-25-2018, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Ever drive one? They handle better than any air cooled and are a blast to drive.

Hello Pandora? I just opened the box. Flame on.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

I never understand all the Miata hate. I get that it has a reputation for being a car for the ladies, but I’d think that car people would see through that pretty quick. Especially with the whole Miata Spec Racing thing. I’ve never owned one, but I would!
Old 01-26-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
The only reason people hate Miata's is because they have to frequently give them the point by on track days.
I don't think they even need to slow down for corners.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
gearhead

People who hate Miatas have never driven one. I know so many people who daily a Porsche and race a Miata.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-26-2018, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
People who hate Miatas have never driven one. I know so many people who daily a Porsche and race a Miata.
or at least owner porsches and race them. when I hung up racing the spec car a couple of Porsche guys I know that race miatas were taking hard runs at me to get on board & I passed. I was stepping away from racing all together due to $$$.

IMO best bang for the buck right now and has been for the last couple years is the early zo6 vettes.
75S "domino" webered early 3.oL Middie Militia #001
07.5 2500HD GM Diesel 4x "tugger"/93 Wrangler YJ "barbie"
08 DRZ400SM+FCR Mikuni/82-XR80SM
03 996TT(sold 10/16 stupid&fast)78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 01-26-2018, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
A Miata is a two bagger car, for sure!
Old 01-26-2018, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
A $20K car will need $30k in work.
A $30k car will need $10k in work.
Any pre 90's car you buy will cost you $40 - $50k I don't care how you slice it.
There will always be people like you saying this and I'm not sure if it was the way you were raised but there are always deals to be found.

Either someone will genuinely want to give someone a deal, or someone needs the cash so is letting go of a nice car or doesn't want to fix it.

This car might need work but seeing it stayed with the original owner and now his son owns it, I would buy this today if the seller would reply back to me and let me drive down and get it.

I work full time and it is a pain in the @ss to try to get one of these cars before all the damn vultures get to it...

Let me know if anyone has any deals hiding they wouldn't mind sharing cuz I don't mind doing work myself and learning while enjoying another 911

These cars are very cool but simple at the same time.

If you want to pay someone big bucks to do the work for you and hype up the cost of maintaining one of these cars then go ahead.

I know I'll be able to afford one or two when I'm 40+ but I'd rather enjoy it now.

Thanks for the input guys.

The s2000 owners I've been dealing with are very unintelligent. Take forever to text back and don't answer calls and then I use a different number and he tells me he is selling it today for the same offer I made him. Pisses me off.

Next time just show up with cash and take the car. People always have a change of heart when the cash in in there hand..
Old 01-30-2018, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Had a couple miatas, s2000's, and my 912.

Miata's fun but super under powered when you are used to the s2000.

Haters will hate.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post

IMO best bang for the buck right now and has been for the last couple years is the early zo6 vettes.
A Z06 C5 Vette is an incredible value. They are an acquired taste unless you live in the midwest, where I am right now - people worship them here. People in California, not so much.

The cliche of people really digging Vettes in the midwest is completely true. My old 911 doesn't even get a glance. However after being here it has forced me to educate myself on them, and a C5 Z06 is an awesome car, though I'd mentally still have a hard time owning one. Much the same way I would have a hard time owning a Harley.

If the C5 Z06 Vette had a prancing horse on the front it would be worth $100K.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzaMe View Post
There will always be people like you saying this and I'm not sure if it was the way you were raised but there are always deals to be found.
Why does this conversation need to become personally insulting?

He makes a good point. An accurate point. He spoke in an absolute, and we all know there are exceptions to every rule. But in essence he is correct.

You might find a deal. You might be the exception. No need to be a dick about it...
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-30-2018, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
See Below.

Quote:

No, it comes from experience. Why don't you make a project list for just restoring the suspension and brakes.

Either someone will genuinely want to give someone a deal, or someone needs the cash so is letting go of a nice car or doesn't want to fix it.

This car might need work but seeing it stayed with the original owner and now his son owns it, I would buy this today if the seller would reply back to me and let me drive down and get it.

Pipe Dream

I work full time and it is a pain in the @ss to try to get one of these cars before all the damn vultures get to it...

Let me know if anyone has any deals hiding they wouldn't mind sharing cuz I don't mind doing work myself and learning while enjoying another 911

Yea, let me know too...
Talk to some local Porsche mechanics. This is the wrong place to find a deal

If you want to pay someone big bucks to do the work for you and hype up the cost of maintaining one of these cars then go ahead.

I know I'll be able to afford one or two when I'm 40+ but I'd rather enjoy it now.

I do all my own work because I enjoy it. It's a lot more fun in your 40's when you can afford it.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Why does this conversation need to become personally insulting?

He makes a good point. An accurate point. He spoke in an absolute, and we all know there are exceptions to every rule. But in essence he is correct.

You might find a deal. You might be the exception. No need to be a dick about it...
I wasn't trying to come off as rude.

The way the statement came across as no matter how I slice it I'm going to have to pay 40k + for a decent car..

But that's not reality because If you actually search and use resources these cars can be found. My position just keeps me from being able to make it on tie to purchase.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
See Below.
Agreed.

Besides the pipe dream lol

I've came across maybe 8-10 of the cars I want over the past year and like I said would have bought if someone gave me the chance or let me put down a deposit. Some you might consider trash but there were nice runners that were steals. We shall see.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
I wasn't trying to come off as rude.

The way the statement came across as no matter how I slice it I'm going to have to pay 40k + for a decent car..

But that's not reality because If you actually search and use resources these cars can be found. My position just keeps me from being able to make it on tie to purchase.
D, and myself, and others, disagree with your thinking. Prove us wrong and we will pat you on the back. At the same time, we've seen all manner of turds that you considered buying over the last two years. Nothing wrong with turd collecting, I am guilty of it. Ultimately I think he's trying to present a need for reasonable expectations. That $20k score might not be so sweet when you get it home.

My 74 is a great example. It's a decent car. I knew what needs it had when I brought it home. But the deeper I get into it, the more surprise needs it has. Almost all these cars with needs hide a few surprises and it helps to have the perspective that it could happen to you.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-30-2018, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

OP. If you find anything halfway decent in the mid to lower $20s you are going to have to buy it instantly. No PPI, buying site unseen, etc. There allot of bottom feeders at that price point looking for the quick flip that can afford the loss if the car is a dud. I think you can find a decent car in your range as long as you have the ability to hop on a plane at the drop of the hat & have cash/wire ready.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
See Below.
Quote:
D, and myself, and others, disagree with your thinking. Prove us wrong and we will pat you on the back. At the same time, we've seen all manner of turds that you considered buying over the last two years. Nothing wrong with turd collecting, I am guilty of it. Ultimately I think he's trying to present a need for reasonable expectations. That $20k score might not be so sweet when you get it home.

My 74 is a great example. It's a decent car. I knew what needs it had when I brought it home. But the deeper I get into it, the more surprise needs it has. Almost all these cars with needs hide a few surprises and it helps to have the perspective that it could happen to you.
Yes my thinking can be a little abstract. But i agree, lots of them were turds but at least 4-5 were very nice and great deals with stock bodies and no mods.

That's why I like to run the cars by you guys since you'll know if they are semi-turds or complete garbage and to run away.

If I come off as being a little rude maybe just trying to defend myself cuz I've gotten deals on other vehicles before. Just have to see how long it will take to happen again.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
OP. If you find anything halfway decent in the mid to lower $20s you are going to have to buy it instantly. No PPI, buying site unseen, etc. There allot of bottom feeders at that price point looking for the quick flip that can afford the loss if the car is a dud. I think you can find a decent car in your range as long as you have the ability to hop on a plane at the drop of the hat & have cash/wire ready.

Best of luck with your search.
I would send you the Kansas City craigslist link that was posted today but it was removed by author so assuming it was sold.

Thanks ill update the thread also.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
If I come off as being a little rude maybe just trying to defend myself cuz I've gotten deals on other vehicles before. Just have to see how long it will take to happen again.
The only rudeness was questioning dude's upbringing. Otherwise you just come off as young, excited, and overly optimistic. Don't get old, jaded, and pessimistic and you'll do just fine. Patience is a virtue many lack today. Since you have that, you might just stumble onto a deal.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-30-2018, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: