Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Closed Thread
shh-the robot is sleeping
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Notheast PA
Posts: 273
Itza,
I recently purchased an ‘88 coupe after searching for over a year. I found it through a mechanic I called to ask to preform a PPI on a different car in his area. Through our conversation I realized I would pay him close to $900 to go through a car that would likely need another 10-15k in repairs. Why not buy a known entity instead? He mentioned that he may have a customer interested in selling a nice 911 and kindly called to ask them. The rest is history.

Perhaps you would consider looking through old posts here to find trusted p-car shops. You can call and ask any of them if they have customers looking to part with any of their little beauties. You may find the proverbial needle in the haystack.

All this will take much time, effort and energy. I have family like many here, so my time is valuable. It’s a trade off however you look at it.
__________________
'88 911 Coupe, 69k miles

Last edited by da Vinci Dan; 01-30-2018 at 10:22 AM..
Old 01-30-2018, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #61 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
OP. If you find anything halfway decent in the mid to lower $20s you are going to have to buy it instantly. No PPI, buying site unseen, etc. There allot of bottom feeders at that price point looking for the quick flip that can afford the loss if the car is a dud. I think you can find a decent car in your range as long as you have the ability to hop on a plane at the drop of the hat & have cash/wire ready.

Best of luck with your search.

+1 to this comment.

I'm in the UK and a lot of these duds are shipped over here with the "service history being lost in transit", and then sold. Lots of people have the cash too, and make it their job to buy cheap cars - OP will be competing with these.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #62 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan View Post
Itza,
I recently purchased an 88 coupe after searching for over a year. I found it through a mechanic I called to ask to preform a PPI on a different car in his area. Through our conversation I realized I would pay him close to $900 to go through a car that would likely need another 10-15k in repairs. Why not buy a known entity instead? He mentioned that he may have a customer interested in selling a nice 911 and kindly called to ask them. The rest is history.

Perhaps you would consider looking through old posts here to find trusted p-car shops. You can call and ask any of them if they have customers looking to part with any of their little beauties. You may find the proverbial needle in the haystack.

All this will take much time, effort and energy. I have family like many here, so my time is valuable. Its a trade off however you look at it.
Congrats sounds pretty cool and things like that make the search somewhat enjoyable.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #63 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
The only rudeness was questioning dude's upbringing. Otherwise you just come off as young, excited, and overly optimistic. Don't get old, jaded, and pessimistic and you'll do just fine. Patience is a virtue many lack today. Since you have that, you might just stumble onto a deal.
Yup, my bad.

I'll keep the search alive.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #64 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 48
1972 Porsche 911T non-sunroof modified
Old 01-31-2018, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #65 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF Jay View Post
Not bad, saw that one. Thought about contacting him.


Anyone see the 1984 911 with a Mitsubishi EVO 4G63 swap in it the guy was selling to pay for his daughters wedding?

It was posted in Philly craigslist for an hour before getting deleted by the author. I tried calling and texting the seller but he kept dropping my call after a couple rings.

Fishy but for $9500 it looked too good to be true. Drop that 4G63 and sell it and have a decent (looking) roller ready for a swap.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #66 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo
 
Rawknees'Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: North TexASS
Posts: 9,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzaMe View Post
If you want to pay someone big bucks to do the work for you and hype up the cost of maintaining one of these cars then go ahead.

. . .
There really is no hype regarding the high cost of self-maintaining and repairing one of these cars, when they are actually driven and not just used for garage art; the cars are old and worn (like me! ), have many high wear items, have many key design flaws than can be expensive to correct, parts are extremely costly, and if something significant goes wrong with the machine, then you really need to be prepared to grab your ankles and smile.

The true hype is the nonsense that you sometimes see where people claim that 911s are low maintenance and bullet proof (true of garage art 911s, only).
Old 01-31-2018, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #67 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,572
Flippin sweet.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #68 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sugarwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,582
Garage
ItzaMe,

Most people will agree that deals are rare, in any market. So, don't expect one. But you certainly wait and hope for one. As you said, they are out there.

The reason you're getting no support here is that you're asking for a free lunch. Getting a deal is something you do in isolation. It's an ad you chase down before anyone else.
People find deals for a living. That is their day job. You don't get a deal just because you deserve one. Everyone wants a deal. But, very few actually get the great deal since it involves luck, persistence, and timing.

If you think someone's going to post a clean driver 911 for $20k so you can have your deal, you're wrong. No one will be posting any deal here. They are doing the work.
It's like romancing a woman for weeks, then letting you step in at the last minute and getting the sex. Not. If someone is bothering to find a deal, that means they will buy the car themselves, and flip it for the difference.
It's just not going to be handed over to you for nothing.

If you want a deal, by all means, go find one. Set up your email alerts, have the $20k in cash in your house, and call in sick when the deal arrives in your mailbox. Because that's what all the other deal seekers are doing.
__________________
1986 3.2 911 coupe.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #69 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 14,260
Damn Sugar, harshing itza’s melon. He’s been showing us cars for a couple years learning his way around. He’s not asking for a free lunch.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #70 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tucson, Az.
Posts: 1,986
Garage
I am there with Sugar. It is just the facts.
Great deals are snapped up in moments from listing, even if a sympathetic Pelican put Itza in touch with the smoking deal ad it will already be gone by the time he gets to it.
And if some one contacts me with a car and wants to sell it for 2/3 of the market price, and that's what itza wants, I would advice them to sell it for more and not leave money on the table. If they insisted on giving away $10,000 in value on a car, I am afraid I would tell a closer friend about it than some random stranger on the internet or buy it myself.
Sorry itza, no help from me other than my opinion on market correct price's or potential problems in cars you find.
__________________
1978 Porsche 930
1968 Porsche 911S
1964 356C
Old 02-01-2018, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #71 (permalink)
82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 241
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan View Post
Itza,
Have you looked into this one? May need some DIY, a few dollars and elbow grease to get right. This forum is a great resource! Your quest may take a village.
Da Vinci, that one was sold. There's a note at the bottom of the ad:

"Update as of Jan 21 2018: SOLD! Porsche have been sold already. Thanks!"
Old 02-01-2018, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #73 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tucson, Az.
Posts: 1,986
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretz View Post
Da Vinci, that one was sold. There's a note at the bottom of the ad:

"Update as of Jan 21 2018: SOLD! Porsche have been sold already. Thanks!"
Wow! I am shocked!
__________________
1978 Porsche 930
1968 Porsche 911S
1964 356C
Old 02-02-2018, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #74 (permalink)
Dave W
 
davewadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: redondo beach
Posts: 1,010
Orig Poster,
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but for under $20k you can get a very nice 914 that's ready to drive and enjoy....and you'll still be in a classic air cooled Porsche, and prices will only go up.
__________________
1975 911S (3.2) "The Blue Goose"
1978 SC 3.2 track car
Old 02-02-2018, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #75 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
ItzaMe,

Most people will agree that deals are rare, in any market. So, don't expect one. But you certainly wait and hope for one. As you said, they are out there.

The reason you're getting no support here is that you're asking for a free lunch. Getting a deal is something you do in isolation. It's an ad you chase down before anyone else.
People find deals for a living. That is their day job. You don't get a deal just because you deserve one. Everyone wants a deal. But, very few actually get the great deal since it involves luck, persistence, and timing.

If you think someone's going to post a clean driver 911 for $20k so you can have your deal, you're wrong. No one will be posting any deal here. They are doing the work.
It's like romancing a woman for weeks, then letting you step in at the last minute and getting the sex. Not. If someone is bothering to find a deal, that means they will buy the car themselves, and flip it for the difference.
It's just not going to be handed over to you for nothing.

If you want a deal, by all means, go find one. Set up your email alerts, have the $20k in cash in your house, and call in sick when the deal arrives in your mailbox. Because that's what all the other deal seekers are doing.

Well said.

That same thought is what's in the back of my mind every time I'm searching for one, glad you brought it more to light.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #76 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Damn Sugar, harshing itzas melon. Hes been showing us cars for a couple years learning his way around. Hes not asking for a free lunch.
It's all good he has good point.

I got lucky with my first 912 but had to sell it and got lucky to make a few bucks being a somewhat noob to the aircooled club.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #77 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
I am there with Sugar. It is just the facts.
Great deals are snapped up in moments from listing, even if a sympathetic Pelican put Itza in touch with the smoking deal ad it will already be gone by the time he gets to it.
And if some one contacts me with a car and wants to sell it for 2/3 of the market price, and that's what itza wants, I would advice them to sell it for more and not leave money on the table. If they insisted on giving away $10,000 in value on a car, I am afraid I would tell a closer friend about it than some random stranger on the internet or buy it myself.
Sorry itza, no help from me other than my opinion on market correct price's or potential problems in cars you find.
All good, appreciate the honesty & help with my finds.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #78 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 481
Cleveland OH

Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Over the years there were exact same cars as that one for 18-20k and some with zero issues (according to seller) but they sold quick.


Quote:
Originally Posted by davewadd View Post
Orig Poster,
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but for under $20k you can get a very nice 914 that's ready to drive and enjoy....and you'll still be in a classic air cooled Porsche, and prices will only go up.
True, once I drive a 914 that might possibly get me in one.

I just can't see myself getting any other car besides a 911 to hold on to for a long period of time.

I've had many cool cars that I've put work into and sold later to pay for my tuition over the years so since I'm finally done with school and steady job, I want to find something to build on and enjoy.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #79 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 15
The 911 is 'the' car to go for, if you can afford it.

Keep up the work, it looks like you're doing everything 'right' to get something lucky, just need to be patient!
Old 02-02-2018, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #80 (permalink)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:09 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.