Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
See Below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
D, and myself, and others, disagree with your thinking. Prove us wrong and we will pat you on the back. At the same time, we've seen all manner of turds that you considered buying over the last two years. Nothing wrong with turd collecting, I am guilty of it. Ultimately I think he's trying to present a need for reasonable expectations. That $20k score might not be so sweet when you get it home.

My 74 is a great example. It's a decent car. I knew what needs it had when I brought it home. But the deeper I get into it, the more surprise needs it has. Almost all these cars with needs hide a few surprises and it helps to have the perspective that it could happen to you.
Yes my thinking can be a little abstract. But i agree, lots of them were turds but at least 4-5 were very nice and great deals with stock bodies and no mods.

That's why I like to run the cars by you guys since you'll know if they are semi-turds or complete garbage and to run away.

If I come off as being a little rude maybe just trying to defend myself cuz I've gotten deals on other vehicles before. Just have to see how long it will take to happen again.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
OP. If you find anything halfway decent in the mid to lower $20s you are going to have to buy it instantly. No PPI, buying site unseen, etc. There allot of bottom feeders at that price point looking for the quick flip that can afford the loss if the car is a dud. I think you can find a decent car in your range as long as you have the ability to hop on a plane at the drop of the hat & have cash/wire ready.

Best of luck with your search.
I would send you the Kansas City craigslist link that was posted today but it was removed by author so assuming it was sold.

Thanks ill update the thread also.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzaMe View Post
If I come off as being a little rude maybe just trying to defend myself cuz I've gotten deals on other vehicles before. Just have to see how long it will take to happen again.
The only rudeness was questioning dude's upbringing. Otherwise you just come off as young, excited, and overly optimistic. Don't get old, jaded, and pessimistic and you'll do just fine. Patience is a virtue many lack today. Since you have that, you might just stumble onto a deal.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-30-2018, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
shh-the robot is sleeping

Itza,
I recently purchased an ‘88 coupe after searching for over a year. I found it through a mechanic I called to ask to preform a PPI on a different car in his area. Through our conversation I realized I would pay him close to $900 to go through a car that would likely need another 10-15k in repairs. Why not buy a known entity instead? He mentioned that he may have a customer interested in selling a nice 911 and kindly called to ask them. The rest is history.

Perhaps you would consider looking through old posts here to find trusted p-car shops. You can call and ask any of them if they have customers looking to part with any of their little beauties. You may find the proverbial needle in the haystack.

All this will take much time, effort and energy. I have family like many here, so my time is valuable. It’s a trade off however you look at it.

Last edited by da Vinci Dan; 01-30-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-30-2018, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
OP. If you find anything halfway decent in the mid to lower $20s you are going to have to buy it instantly. No PPI, buying site unseen, etc. There allot of bottom feeders at that price point looking for the quick flip that can afford the loss if the car is a dud. I think you can find a decent car in your range as long as you have the ability to hop on a plane at the drop of the hat & have cash/wire ready.

Best of luck with your search.

+1 to this comment.

I'm in the UK and a lot of these duds are shipped over here with the "service history being lost in transit", and then sold. Lots of people have the cash too, and make it their job to buy cheap cars - OP will be competing with these.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan View Post
Itza,
I recently purchased an Ď88 coupe after searching for over a year. I found it through a mechanic I called to ask to preform a PPI on a different car in his area. Through our conversation I realized I would pay him close to $900 to go through a car that would likely need another 10-15k in repairs. Why not buy a known entity instead? He mentioned that he may have a customer interested in selling a nice 911 and kindly called to ask them. The rest is history.

Perhaps you would consider looking through old posts here to find trusted p-car shops. You can call and ask any of them if they have customers looking to part with any of their little beauties. You may find the proverbial needle in the haystack.

All this will take much time, effort and energy. I have family like many here, so my time is valuable. Itís a trade off however you look at it.
Congrats sounds pretty cool and things like that make the search somewhat enjoyable.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
The only rudeness was questioning dude's upbringing. Otherwise you just come off as young, excited, and overly optimistic. Don't get old, jaded, and pessimistic and you'll do just fine. Patience is a virtue many lack today. Since you have that, you might just stumble onto a deal.
Yup, my bad.

I'll keep the search alive.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

1972 Porsche 911T non-sunroof modified
Old 01-31-2018, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF Jay View Post
Not bad, saw that one. Thought about contacting him.

Anyone see the 1984 911 with a Mitsubishi EVO 4G63 swap in it the guy was selling to pay for his daughters wedding?

It was posted in Philly craigslist for an hour before getting deleted by the author. I tried calling and texting the seller but he kept dropping my call after a couple rings.

Fishy but for $9500 it looked too good to be true. Drop that 4G63 and sell it and have a decent (looking) roller ready for a swap.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzaMe View Post
If you want to pay someone big bucks to do the work for you and hype up the cost of maintaining one of these cars then go ahead.

. . .
There really is no hype regarding the high cost of self-maintaining and repairing one of these cars, when they are actually driven and not just used for garage art; the cars are old and worn (like me! ), have many high wear items, have many key design flaws than can be expensive to correct, parts are extremely costly, and if something significant goes wrong with the machine, then you really need to be prepared to grab your ankles and smile.

The true hype is the nonsense that you sometimes see where people claim that 911s are low maintenance and bullet proof (true of garage art 911s, only).
Old 01-31-2018, 11:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Buy this !

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/86-porsche-959-convertable/6466521997.html
Old 01-31-2018, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Flippin sweet.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
ItzaMe,

Most people will agree that deals are rare, in any market. So, don't expect one. But you certainly wait and hope for one. As you said, they are out there.

The reason you're getting no support here is that you're asking for a free lunch. Getting a deal is something you do in isolation. It's an ad you chase down before anyone else.
People find deals for a living. That is their day job. You don't get a deal just because you deserve one. Everyone wants a deal. But, very few actually get the great deal since it involves luck, persistence, and timing.

If you think someone's going to post a clean driver 911 for $20k so you can have your deal, you're wrong. No one will be posting any deal here. They are doing the work.
It's like romancing a woman for weeks, then letting you step in at the last minute and getting the sex. Not. If someone is bothering to find a deal, that means they will buy the car themselves, and flip it for the difference.
It's just not going to be handed over to you for nothing.

If you want a deal, by all means, go find one. Set up your email alerts, have the $20k in cash in your house, and call in sick when the deal arrives in your mailbox. Because that's what all the other deal seekers are doing.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
gearhead

Damn Sugar, harshing itza’s melon. He’s been showing us cars for a couple years learning his way around. He’s not asking for a free lunch.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-01-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
I am there with Sugar. It is just the facts.
Great deals are snapped up in moments from listing, even if a sympathetic Pelican put Itza in touch with the smoking deal ad it will already be gone by the time he gets to it.
And if some one contacts me with a car and wants to sell it for 2/3 of the market price, and that's what itza wants, I would advice them to sell it for more and not leave money on the table. If they insisted on giving away $10,000 in value on a car, I am afraid I would tell a closer friend about it than some random stranger on the internet or buy it myself.
Sorry itza, no help from me other than my opinion on market correct price's or potential problems in cars you find.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan View Post
Itza,
Have you looked into this one? May need some DIY, a few dollars and elbow grease to get right. This forum is a great resource! Your quest may take a village.
Da Vinci, that one was sold. There's a note at the bottom of the ad:

"Update as of Jan 21 2018: SOLD! Porsche have been sold already. Thanks!"
Old 02-01-2018, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretz View Post
Da Vinci, that one was sold. There's a note at the bottom of the ad:

"Update as of Jan 21 2018: SOLD! Porsche have been sold already. Thanks!"
Wow! I am shocked!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Dave W

Orig Poster,
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but for under $20k you can get a very nice 914 that's ready to drive and enjoy....and you'll still be in a classic air cooled Porsche, and prices will only go up.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
ItzaMe,

Most people will agree that deals are rare, in any market. So, don't expect one. But you certainly wait and hope for one. As you said, they are out there.

The reason you're getting no support here is that you're asking for a free lunch. Getting a deal is something you do in isolation. It's an ad you chase down before anyone else.
People find deals for a living. That is their day job. You don't get a deal just because you deserve one. Everyone wants a deal. But, very few actually get the great deal since it involves luck, persistence, and timing.

If you think someone's going to post a clean driver 911 for $20k so you can have your deal, you're wrong. No one will be posting any deal here. They are doing the work.
It's like romancing a woman for weeks, then letting you step in at the last minute and getting the sex. Not. If someone is bothering to find a deal, that means they will buy the car themselves, and flip it for the difference.
It's just not going to be handed over to you for nothing.

If you want a deal, by all means, go find one. Set up your email alerts, have the $20k in cash in your house, and call in sick when the deal arrives in your mailbox. Because that's what all the other deal seekers are doing.

Well said.

That same thought is what's in the back of my mind every time I'm searching for one, glad you brought it more to light.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: