Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
shh-the robot is sleeping
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Notheast PA
Posts: 238
For your consideration:

FS: 1984 Carrera coupe / red - spoilers - 16" fuchs nice driver $28k

We’ll help you make it right.
__________________
'88 911 Coupe, 69k miles
Old 02-08-2018, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan View Post
For your consideration:

FS: 1984 Carrera coupe / red - spoilers - 16" fuchs nice driver $28k

We’ll help you make it right.
I came back to the thread to post the same link haha

Perfect example of what I'm looking for but on the higher side of 20k

Will talk to the seller and see what we can deal with.

The amount of them I found in the 28-34k range was plentiful but this one is pretty decent..
Old 02-08-2018, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Racerbvd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan View Post
For your consideration:

FS: 1984 Carrera coupe / red - spoilers - 16" fuchs nice driver $28k

We’ll help you make it right.
The SALVAGE could be a problem, depending on what state it is going to be registered in, and it has an SC front valance & fogs, possible crash car
Still worth a long look if it can be registered the home state, and checked for cash damage.
__________________
Byron

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 02-08-2018, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post
The SALVAGE could be a problem, depending on what state it is going to be registered in, and it has an SC front valance & fogs, possible crash car
Still worth a long look if it can be registered the home state, and checked for cash damage.
Yes, I wouldn't want it coming back as a salvage title in OH since that would require me to pass a police inspection and they would be wondering what I replaced etc

It coming back as a rebuilt-salvage would be OK
Old 02-08-2018, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 13,816
It clearly states that the title is clean. I’ve never seen a dmv pull a title history search. I walk in, they look over the other state’s title, and proceed.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Dave W
 
davewadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: redondo beach
Posts: 990
with entry level 911SCs at $30k, and likely to have some big repair bills down the road, ...someone who wants to be driving and air-cooled Porsche, and is on a budget, should seriously look at a 914 like this one on BAT. It will be under $25k, and you'll spend more time driving it than staring at it in the garage because of needed repairs.. These cars are good value, and prices are going up..... and you'll even be welcomed at Luftgekuhlt. And this model is the desireable GA motor 2.0...

I have no affiliation with this car... just giving my opinion, 'cuz you asked


https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-2-0-8/
__________________
1975 911S (3.2) "The Blue Goose"
1978 SC 3.2 track car
Old 02-08-2018, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 13,816
^wise words. If someone offered me a driver 74 914 2.0 and $15k they could drive away in my 86 coupe this afternoon.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-08-2018, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: midwest
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
It clearly states that the title is clean. I’ve never seen a dmv pull a title history search. I walk in, they look over the other state’s title, and proceed.
The seller says "Clean State of IL title but by law declared 'SALVAGE'. " but you can't have it both ways. He his playing loose with words.

Perhaps no lien, but Salvage is Salvage. In most states a 'Salvage' title needs to be turned into a 'Rebuilt' title after an inspection where the Police are looking for receipts for the replacement parts. They are more concerned with the use of stolen parts, not really safety or the quality of repair.

California has insurance auctions where California DEALERS can buy cars with Salvage titles, but out of state buyers only get Scrap titles which can not be rebuilt in most other states.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewadd View Post
with entry level 911SCs at $30k, and likely to have some big repair bills down the road, ...someone who wants to be driving and air-cooled Porsche, and is on a budget, should seriously look at a 914 like this one on BAT. It will be under $25k, and you'll spend more time driving it than staring at it in the garage because of needed repairs.. These cars are good value, and prices are going up..... and you'll even be welcomed at Luftgekuhlt. And this model is the desireable GA motor 2.0...

I have no affiliation with this car... just giving my opinion, 'cuz you asked


https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-2-0-8/
Thanks for the link but those 914's really don't interest me right now.

I see many people are jumping on them so maybe they are the next car to be hyped up but the look of it is umm..interesting.. and if i got one it wouldn't remain stock for long

I'm looking for a 911 and I think I might have a plan with a local guy.

You guys probably wont like it but it will let me tinker around while still owning one.

Will update later if magic happens.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
The seller says "Clean State of IL title but by law declared 'SALVAGE'. " but you can't have it both ways. He his playing loose with words.

Perhaps no lien, but Salvage is Salvage. In most states a 'Salvage' title needs to be turned into a 'Rebuilt' title after an inspection where the Police are looking for receipts for the replacement parts. They are more concerned with the use of stolen parts, not really safety or the quality of repair.

California has insurance auctions where California DEALERS can buy cars with Salvage titles, but out of state buyers only get Scrap titles which can not be rebuilt in most other states.
Yea Matt M, Matt D is right.

There are many states that don't have SALVAGE titles and some states that kinda wash tittles up.

There have been 5-10 instances where me or someone I know bought a car without knowing it had salvage history so the DMV saw the records and changed the CLEAN title to a REBUILT salvage. Was pretty sh#itty.

One way to get around this is, go to a DMV that doesn't have there records updated or check history when they transfer the title.

It's not really ideal to do so and frowned upon but I've saw it done.

Anyway, that 84 Porsche would likely come back as a rebuilt title which ins't anything crazy.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 13,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
The seller says "Clean State of IL title but by law declared 'SALVAGE'. " but you can't have it both ways. He his playing loose with words.

Perhaps no lien, but Salvage is Salvage. In most states a 'Salvage' title needs to be turned into a 'Rebuilt' title after an inspection where the Police are looking for receipts for the replacement parts. They are more concerned with the use of stolen parts, not really safety or the quality of repair.

California has insurance auctions where California DEALERS can buy cars with Salvage titles, but out of state buyers only get Scrap titles which can not be rebuilt in most other states.
Not all states are the same. California issues a rebuilt from salvage title. That's what my 74 is. Colorado just calls that a salvage title.

Other states clear the salvage status once the car is rebuilt and henceforth the title appears clear.

My read of it is the seller is trying to be transparent and honest that the car was written off as salvage earlier in it's life and wants the buyer to know that even though the title is clean today the car has a history. A shady dealer could buy this car, do a bit of refurbishment, and never make such a disclosure. We don't know for sure because none of us has called him and not all states handle this process the same.

Anyone seriously interested in the car should just call up the seller and talk about it instead of speculating about it on the internet.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 13,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzaMe View Post
Yea Matt M, Matt D is right.

There are many states that don't have SALVAGE titles and some states that kinda wash tittles up.

There have been 5-10 instances where me or someone I know bought a car without knowing it had salvage history so the DMV saw the records and changed the CLEAN title to a REBUILT salvage. Was pretty sh#itty.

One way to get around this is, go to a DMV that doesn't have there records updated or check history when they transfer the title.

It's not really ideal to do so and frowned upon but I've saw it done.

Anyway, that 84 Porsche would likely come back as a rebuilt title which ins't anything crazy.
Read my comments above. I am not wrong in what I am saying. I am in fact saying exactly what you are. People seem to be mixing up a car with salvage history and a car with a salvage title. I see ZERO risk of what Byron is talking about on a car like this because it does NOT have a salvage title.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-08-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Read my comments above. I am not wrong in what I am saying. I am in fact saying exactly what you are. People seem to be mixing up a car with salvage history and a car with a salvage title. I see ZERO risk of what Byron is talking about on a car like this because it does NOT have a salvage title.
Gotcha, you are right the current title is clean due to it being in a state that might not issue salvage/rebuilt titles.

But bringing it back to home state and registering it with an honest mindset it would be a salvage/rebuilt vehicle.

Basically it having salvage/totaled the vehicle out history makes it a salvage vehicle. Titles don't really make much difference on these cars anyway.

Some clean titles have far worse damage that never gets reported so it doesn't bother me. Just would have to inspect properly.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
 
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 13,816
I've been saying this for years, the condition as the car sits today is the most important thing to consider. If you are ok with that, then you need to look at current cost versus future resale. If the deal it good enough to offset what the future may bring the car is a buy.

One reason that S titles get such a value hit on newer cars is because most banks and credit unions won't offer financing on one. A bank will look across state lines to see a salvage history on a car. A DMV generally won't.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-08-2018, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Racerbvd's Avatar
Being a 3.2 car has the value over others in the same price range, doesn't hurt to look, talk to the owner, check the laws in you state. That $8K over your budget could save you a lot of $$$ on a $20k project. If I were in the market, I'd check it out.
__________________
Byron

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
I've been saying this for years, the condition as the car sits today is the most important thing to consider. If you are ok with that, then you need to look at current cost versus future resale. If the deal it good enough to offset what the future may bring the car is a buy.

One reason that S titles get such a value hit on newer cars is because most banks and credit unions won't offer financing on one. A bank will look across state lines to see a salvage history on a car. A DMV generally won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post
Being a 3.2 car has the value over others in the same price range, doesn't hurt to look, talk to the owner, check the laws in you state. That $8K over your budget could save you a lot of $$$ on a $20k project. If I were in the market, I'd check it out.
Cool, good points.

Thanks guys
Old 02-08-2018, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 2,517
Garage
^^^what he said.
__________________
1978 SC Coupe, Gris Argent Metallic Silver
1974 2002 Tii Polaris Silver, Under construction
1972 911T
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 454
What are the odds the car itzame looks at today actually pans out?
Old 02-08-2018, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 13,816
473,693 to 1
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-08-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc911s View Post
What are the odds the car itzame looks at today actually pans out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
473,693 to 1

haha its 3PM and im off at 5PM

Messaged the seller so waiting game
Old 02-08-2018, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Land
Posts: 412
Hey Guys,

What about this?

https://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/d/1966-porsche/6489756038.html

He has the title from 87 said it was his wife's fathers car he left it to her

Should I jump on this asap?

Said 8k cash. Minimal rust but being a noob I can't tell if this is a great deal or not

Some of these unrestored going crazy money I just don't know which those are really yet.

Let me know!! Will make the move he said he will hold possible.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:33 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.