Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Distributorlab feedback

Has anyone used Barry Hershon at DistributorLab in Detroit? I have a beat up 3.2 Carrera distributor that "needs it all'.
Any experiences?
Thanks, Dan
Old 07-17-2017, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Lots of feedback over on the technical forum.

Last edited by gtc; 07-25-2017 at 08:06 AM..
Old 07-20-2017, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Re: DistributorLab/barry Hershon

Let me start by saying I waited a full week to reflect on this before posting.
I own a Porsche/BMW service/repair/resto shop. I had a customer bring in a 1984 Carrera (250k miles) with a poor running issue. We checked the basic tune up and found that the distributor was coming apart internally. I grabbed a good used unit and installed it. She ran well again. I called the customer and told him what was going on. He asked if any new or reman distributors were available. I did some research and came across DistrbutorLab. I contacted Barry and described the failed distributor. He said "I can rebuild any Porsche 911 distributor". He said to ship it to him, and that he would check it out. He also said that he would require a $300 deposit by credit card to get started. I told him that I needed to get the customer's approval before we could ship it up.
Barry and I had been conversing mainly by email. I received several emails from Barry pushing me to send the distributor. He said that if I gave the customer a say in the repair, that he would "cheap out" and go with the used distributor. I replied several times that the decision was up to the customer.
The customer agreed to send it up for assessment. I did so. Barry called me when it arrived and proceeded to tell me what a piece of **** I had sent him.
I asked for an estimate, and he replied he couldn't tell me exactly until he took it apart, but that I was looking at $8-$900 at least. I gave him my CC info, but asked him to NOT disassemble it until I talked with the customer, and explained to him that the cost would approach $1,000.
I called and left a message for my customer.
In about 10 minutes, Barry called me back to say he had already disassembled the distributor and that it would be at LEAST $1,000 to rebuild it. I asked him why he took it apart, and he then proceeded to call me a bunch of nasty names. He said I was trying to "rip him off". He said that he woudn't work on anything ever for me or my customer, and that he was keeping the distributor unless I wired him $335.00 by Western Union.
I waited a day, and tried to reason with him over email, as he would get VERY hostile on the telephone. He told me that he took my position VERY PERSONALLY.
I tried to explain that I was just trying to find the best way for my customer to get his car back on the road.
As of today, Barry still has my customer's distributor and won't do anything without the $335 wired to him. Did I cross any lines? Am I looking at this wrong?

Last edited by touringmandan; 07-24-2017 at 02:26 PM..
Old 07-24-2017, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Western Union. WTF.
Did you ship it to Nigeria by accident?
Old 07-24-2017, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringmandan View Post
Let me start by saying I waited a full week to reflect on this before posting.
I own a Porsche/BMW service/repair/resto shop. I had a customer bring in a 1984 Carrera (250k miles) with a poor running issue. We checked the basic tune up and found that the distributor was coming apart internally. I grabbed a good used unit and installed it. She ran well again. I called the customer and told him what was going on. He asked if any new or reman distributors were available. I did some research and came across DistrbutorLab. I contacted Barry and described the failed distributor. He said "I can rebuild any Porsche 911 distributor". He said to ship it to him, and that he would check it out. He also said that he would require a $300 deposit by credit card to get started. I told him that I needed to get the customer's approval before we could ship it up.
Barry and I had been conversing mainly by email. I received several emails from Barry pushing me to send the distributor. He said that if I gave the customer a say in the repair, that he would "cheap out" and go with the used distributor. I replied several times that the decision was up to the customer.
The customer agreed to send it up for assessment. I did so. Barry called me when it arrived and proceeded to tell me what a piece of **** I had sent him.
I asked for an estimate, and he replied he couldn't tell me exactly until he took it apart, but that I was looking at $8-$900 at least. I gave him my CC info, but asked him to NOT disassemble it until I talked with the customer, and explained to him that the cost would approach $1,000.
I called and left a message for my customer.
In about 10 minutes, Barry called me back to say he had already disassembled the distributor and that it would be at LEAST $1,000 to rebuild it. I asked him why he took it apart, and he then proceeded to call me a bunch of nasty names. He said I was trying to "rip him off". He said that he woudn't work on anything ever for me or my customer, and that he was keeping the distributor unless I wired him $335.00 by Western Union.
I waited a day, and tried to reason with him over email, as he would get VERY hostile on the telephone. He told me that he took my position VERY PERSONALLY.
I tried to explain that I was just trying to find the best way for my customer to get his car back on the road.
As of today, Barry still has my customer's distributor and won't do anything without the $335 wired to him. Did I cross any lines? Am I looking at this wrong?
Based on my dealing with Barry, I could see how someone could go down the rabbit hole with him pretty quickly. He's a quirky guy in that he takes all of this very personally. I sent him the distributor from my 3.0L that I wanted recurved for carbs and he wanted the deposit you mentioned just to receive it. The bill was over $800!
My distributor was working fine, just needed the recurve. I thought it was a lot of money for what he did, but he came with great recommendations and the distributor works great with the carbs. He forgot to send a part back with the distributor and it took many weeks and many calls to get him to send it. I was a ways out from installing the motor, so it wasn't a big deal, but every phone call was lengthy, he loves to talk. On the other hand, he referred me to a master Porsche mechanic that sent me a template and gave me free advice on how to install a later oil tank in my 71 chassis. YMMV!

Looking for Engine # 6114097

2010 Cayman
Old 07-25-2017, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
gearhead

Wow. I think this thread belongs in Tech where more eyes can see it. I'm a moody little biatch sometimes but that's just off the deep end. I've never in my life held someone else's property hostage. I have shipped a gearbox back in pieces because someone didn't want to pay to reassemble it. I think every tranny shop has at some point.

He must have some sort of insane hourly rate to expect $355 and he's terrified of the chargeback since he demanded Western Union. Regardless, when deals go bad like this, and they do, I just ship the parts back free of charge and move on. Life is too short to get that worked up. Those are the kind of people who die of strokes and heart attacks.

Jerry Woods still does dizzys. That's where I would send mine.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

abides.

Garage
Yikes. Makes me want to delete my post up there so nobody takes it as an endorsement!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Really ? And I thought you are one who hates the big bad internet, "trial by internet" as you put it.

I have no skin in this game but with apologies to touringmandan, we are hearing only one side of the story here.
Shows you just how offensive I find this vendor's behavior. Let him tell his side if he has an explanation.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Mr. Hershon is still holding my customer's distributor. I have sourced another and had it fully (and beautifully) rebuilt at PartsKlassic in Flagstaff, AZ. Very nice people, smooth transaction, less than half the cost. A big "thumbs up" for PartsKlassic, and I hope that Mr. Hershon is storing the distributor in a "very personal" location.

Last edited by touringmandan; 08-17-2017 at 07:01 AM..
Old 08-17-2017, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post

Jerry Woods still does dizzys. That's where I would send mine.
I have a Jerry Woods dizzy. It is exceptional work. I have the receipt for the full detail and rebuild (yes, it was 5-6 years ago) and was about $460.

People like the one above cannot be reasoned with. They cannot be talked to in a normal manner. Something in their brain skips. Somehow, some way, their anger is king.

Frankly, I'd report the dizzy stolen and tell them you know who stole it. I mean really, what are your options? You can reason with a person like this.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post

Frankly, I'd report the dizzy stolen and tell them you know who stole it. I mean really, what are your options? You can reason with a person like this.
It's a little more complicated than that. While whether or not the teardown and inspection was authorized is open to debate, it happened. The vendor did labor on the customer's part and is basically holding it on mechanic's lien. It would end up in small claims court and not get handled as a criminal matter.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-17-2017, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Wow glad it wasn't just me. I called this clown once, couldn't believe how rude he was! I will NEVER do business with him.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I will just chalk this one up to experience. If I can prevent it happening to the next guy, some good will come of it. Karma will take care of things.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Barry/ "Distributorlab" still has my customer's distributor. Caveat emptor.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 sc View Post
Wow glad it wasn't just me. I called this clown once, couldn't believe how rude he was! I will NEVER do business with him.
I called him once for a quote, which I found to be not in the budget for sure. Even though I could easily have driven the part to his house, he said it had to be shipped because he lived in a shady neighborhood and did not allow any visitors. I told him I would let him know if I decided to go with him, but he contacted me two days later and insulted my decision to not let him do the work.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
jerry woods has done two for me over the years most recent being a couple of years ago and the cost had gone up to $600. id have paid more due to the fact that it was him, and I got to hang out while he did it.

this other guy sounds like a tool. being so close to JWE is one of the very few things I will miss about living in the so bay area.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringmandan View Post
Barry/ "Distributorlab" still has my customer's distributor. Caveat emptor.
Bet there's a dizzy with a "@!&% touringmandan" label on it.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
All I can do is hope so!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Bet there's a dizzy with a "@!&% touringmandan" label on it.
actually after this long he likely has poached any good parts from it for other customers jobs charging them a meeeeellion dollars...
Old 05-28-2019, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Just had the same experience, he quoted price and i am the king etc when we spoke on the phone. After i said Jerry is much cheaper he call me back and starts to talk ****, piss me off so iI tell this piece if **** to .... off now he
Like Jerrys work etc . My advise is run Forest run guy is an ass . I have a current reciept from Jerry if you doubt this and I promise I have call records from this ******* . Oh yea every porsche mechanic is a dumbass which pissed me off as mine isnt and also a friend .
Old 05-28-2019, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: