Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
gearhead

That just blows my mind. I would make money on it at $25k, though not very much. I e always been one to say an S title won't matter in the end game but I didn't think middies were there yet. A 67S or 57 Speedster, sure but a 74 911. Crazy times.

I can sit on the 86 until spring but don't want to. My slow season is Dec and Jan and I want cash to play with cars while it is still cold.

I'll be honest and say one motivation is I have never properly projected a 911 beginning it to end. The 74 has plenty left to do. The 86 us 100% stock except for the rep 930S steering wheel.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-30-2017, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
The way I see it is this. Salvage means almost nothing at this point.

$25K (or around) was what that Silver Anniversary '75 sold for last week that sat for freaking 30 years, does not run, and there are A LOT of unanswered questions. $14K or $16K (I can't remember) is what Adam got on a eBay auction for a '74 that was VERY rusty (I thought this was high, but whatever).

I'd say $25K for yours, plus the $15K odd that you plan to put in (things add up as you know) then that car is at $40K for anyone.

I'd bet you would get $35K for the '86 (not at Christmas) but maybe, who the heck knows? I'd try to get it on the market sooner than later though.
That 75 from last week looked like a museum piece - completely original - comparing apples to bananas here!

Like someone said above, I would sell both and move on to something else when you have the time.

Give the 86 a good rub when you get it back and that color should get you 25% more than a similar car in a "normal" color.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2017, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I think $25k on the middie is a bit optimistic. A lot of the appeal on those cars is the narrow body. Flares would turn away a few buyers, more than the salvage.

Bear in mind that they always say "buy the seller", and you are a somewhat public figure in the Porsche world, even a newbie can figure that out quite quickly, so you may have a bit more pricing power than a random Joe Schmoe from Prestige Auto Classic Imports.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

1974 911 Targa
Old 07-31-2017, 03:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
I have both a 74 and 86.
While neither are for sale, the 74 was more money and in worse condition than the 86, although it is a matching numbers Carrera. The 86 a great touring car, but the raw feel of the 74 prompted me to move to a 3.2 powered lightweight 81 outlaw (beyond raw for the street).
I couldn't bring myself to alter the stock 86, and find myself driving the 81 75% of the time (the other 25 my wife comes with, and hates the track car lack of comfort).
I do not envy your necessary choice, but suspect you will end up with a purpose built carver or hot rod.
35k for the 86 today, 20 or 40k tomorrow, who knows?
Seems like way too many old 911 cars produced to hold the 2014-2016 numbers forever.
I've been wrong before though.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiandk View Post
That 75 from last week looked like a museum piece - completely original - comparing apples to bananas here!

Like someone said above, I would sell both and move on to something else when you have the time.

Give the 86 a good rub when you get it back and that color should get you 25% more than a similar car in a "normal" color.

Good luck!
Museum piece? I think not. Clean and original - yes. I honestly do not think people realize how very, very few '74-'75 cars are left here in the States - never mind the world. Plus Matt's car has a more (though not original) desirable engine than the 2.7.

1) Matt is never, ever going to have more time because he's got small kids - and I know that once that time goes, it never comes back - so he minus well keep the one he wants and work on it in his spare (although less) time.

Guarantee he'd get $25K or close to it for his car as it sits. I've seen most running (with work/no rust) midyears going for an average of $24K.

Sorry Christian, Matt is not going to buy a 944 and call it a day.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

...and some would probably say that the '75S Silver Anniversary that went for $25K (or around) was a bargain and could possibly be worth more ($10K more?) so the result on this car is not appropriate nor indicative of the midyear market because it's probably too low...
Old 07-31-2017, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
gearhead

I think that Silver at $25k was a bargain. If it had been a targa I would have bought it.

I think it funny that Rick suggested that Matt Monson provenance matters. Don't I have more enemies than Friends?

Christian, you aren't listening mate. I enjoy working on a project. Part of why I am probably keeping the 74 is because I want to keep working on it. I have missed tinkering with my toy cars the last few years.

I appreciate everyone's input. I need to focus on month end for the business the next day or two, but I will come up with some reference pictures at some point here.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-31-2017, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
I think it funny that Rick suggested that Matt Monson provenance matters. Don't I have more enemies than Friends?
[/img]
Like they say, "many enemies, much honor".

1974 911 Targa
Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
I've seen another photo other than this I think. I think it's totally, absolutely, definitely, worth $25K. I wouldn't last a week - or a day - at that price. People would lose their minds over the color (driver quality or not). It would probably be the first impact-bumper car to be let into R-Gruppe on the color alone (they probably already have impact bumper cars in there, but I'm not privy to that information).
Old 07-31-2017, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
I'm surprised at the high 20's number. There's a 79SC on the board right now for $27K. I'm surprised it's lasted a day. Maybe it doesn't have accidents, but I'd rather have a 3.2 behind me than a 3.0, even though that one looks nice, despite the greased up appearance.

Over $30 for sure Matt. Knowledgeable, known Pelican and no BS. These 3.2's are the bomb. I don't think it'd last very long at high 20's. Are there other Carreras in that price range? Doubtful. And that color...

Mid 30's anyway, maybe more.
I'm calling in Rodney Dangerfield.
I get no respect, no respect at all.
Your PP presence is a plus. There will always be detractors.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 07-31-2017, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
I'm calling in Rodney Dangerfield.
I get no respect, no respect at all.
Your PP presence is a plus. There will always be detractors.
I'm sorry, brother. I didn't know I was supposed to answer each poster. I did appreciate your reply. I'll send Ronnie over to hang out to show you just how much...
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-31-2017, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
'74 looks pretty sweet. Want to trade? J/K Like others I would keep the 74, I am a little biased towards the midyear cars though.

'75 911s Targa
Old 07-31-2017, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Wow would love to see them together. Great colors on both.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaircooled View Post
'74 looks pretty sweet. Want to trade? J/K Like others I would keep the 74, I am a little biased towards the midyear cars though.
Don't tease me. I'm a targa guy at heart. I did actually consider posting the 86 as WTT for a targa when I list it. Why not the 74 instead? Tell me about your car.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-31-2017, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Wow would love to see them together. Great colors on both.
Brb... in 5 months.

I have a professional photographer on retainer. There will be a proper photo shoot prior to sale. We don't get much snow before Christmas so it shouldn't be a problem finding a clear day.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-31-2017, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
gearhead

Here's a cars n coffee shot someone took.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-31-2017, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
So, you would pay the same for otherwise similar cars regardless of title status.

Good to know that.
It is good to know, so if you have any salvage Porsches, Ferraris, BMWs or the like (or even motorcycles) I'd be happy to buy them. And I have.

You are pretty much missing the point here. There are so few '74s on the market at any given time, with demand probably at an all-time high, on Matt's car a salvage brand would mean nothing - or close to nothing.

I think it's hilarious that a branded Salvage classic car when there are so few of them around, and if inspected correctly (ie. California, where I lived for a major part of my life threw a Salvage brand on everything that was stolen, joyrided, or had the vin removed, or a million other reasons where the car had NO physical damage at all) and I got some pretty good cars. Salvage doesn't mean the same from state-to-state.

How many '74 911s on sale right now in the entire world, as I write this, in the shape that Matt's car is in? A handful? 10? Yeah, I would buy Matt's car - and Techweenie would probably agree with me.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
gearhead

Techweenie's guy is the one who did paint and body on it.

As best we could tell it was a theft recovery that had the engine and gearbox ripped out. So it got made into a 935 sheeper. It's a socal car. Dry and solid for the most part. Did need a gas tank tray up front.
2008 Cayman S Mule

Last edited by Matt Monson; 07-31-2017 at 06:18 PM..
Old 07-31-2017, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
It is good to know, so if you have any salvage Porsches, Ferraris, BMWs or the like (or even motorcycles) I'd be happy to buy them. And I have.
Yes, it's good to know.

Quote:
You are pretty much missing the point here. There are so few '74s on the market at any given time, with demand probably at an all-time high, on Matt's car a salvage brand would mean nothing - or close to nothing.
As long as there are non salvage cars out there, their S titled brethren will take a valuation hit.

Quote:
I think it's hilarious that a branded Salvage classic car when there are so few of them around, and if inspected correctly (ie. California, where I lived for a major part of my life threw a Salvage brand on everything that was stolen, joyrided, or had the vin removed, or a million other reasons where the car had NO physical damage at all) and I got some pretty good cars. Salvage doesn't mean the same from state-to-state.
I haven't seen a salvaged car on sale which includes the detailed record of what happened to it. So, the seller's word or the previous seller's word etc is the best you can go by. Who knows, happened a long time ago, blah blah.

Quote:
How many '74 911s on sale right now in the entire world, as I write this, in the shape that Matt's car is in? A handful? 10? Yeah, I would buy Matt's car - and Techweenie would probably agree with me.
I believe there's no question the car would have cost more then and worth more now without the S title.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post

I haven't seen a salvaged car on sale which includes the detailed record of what happened to it. So, the seller's word or the previous seller's word etc is the best you can go by. Who knows, happened a long time ago, blah blah..
This is why I say that one must buy each car based first and foremost on your assessment of its current condition. So many of these cars that don't have an S title have stories. I guarantee 90% of buyers would miss the fender replacement on my 86 If I didn't disclose it. Its not on a car fax. At 30-40 years old on these cars You just never know. I could dump my car at a dealer on consignment and I promise they wouldn't put it in the ad.

And don't even get me started on interstate washing of S titles. Ckeaing an S title is easy for a shady person.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-31-2017, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: