Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Market price for 964 cabriolets?

Hi,

I am looking at 964 cabriolets in various places of the country and they show up at various prices. Anyone here as a somewhat recent experience with a sale and can share some numbers?

Would you say that sellers hoping for $40k are a bit too optimistic?

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

$40k should get you a real nice fully sorted example. Like all classic Porsches, it really comes down to originality, history and condition. The good ones sell fast usually. I would try to find one from a enthusiast and I would recommend looking into the later years (92-94).

Check the PCA classifieds. Looks like nice 93 on there.

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/324083

Last edited by specialtyoneinc; 10-06-2017 at 08:57 AM..
Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
$40k should get you a real nice fully sorted example. Like all classic Porsches, it really comes down to originality, history and condition. The good ones sell fast usually. I would try to find one from a enthusiast and I would recommend looking into the later years (92-94).

Check the PCA classifieds. Looks like nice 93 on there.

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/324083
Ouch, that sure is a nice one.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

"Lux" and "nice" don't belong in the same sentence.

2004 996TT w/X50
1974 911 Targa
Old 10-06-2017, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Brooklyn View Post
"Lux" and "nice" don't belong in the same sentence.
Some owners are caught up in the Singer mystique, forgetting they have a cab that has a reputation for leaks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2017, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The one listed for sale at Porsche Colorado Spring is now available on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-5/

The more I look at the 964 cab market, the more I realize that they don't move that fast. I see many that have been up for sale for 2+ months and that's not something you see a lot with 3.2. Also, they seem to be somewhat low mileage in general (most, if not all, below 100k miles which never happens with 3.2).

It tells me I should not be paying $40k for the 93 C2 that I am taking to PPI today. Will report back
Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Remi View Post
The one listed for sale at Porsche Colorado Spring is now available on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-5/

The more I look at the 964 cab market, the more I realize that they don't move that fast. I see many that have been up for sale for 2+ months and that's not something you see a lot with 3.2. Also, they seem to be somewhat low mileage in general (most, if not all, below 100k miles which never happens with 3.2).

It tells me I should not be paying $40k for the 93 C2 that I am taking to PPI today. Will report back
Cabs do not move quickly - and a 964 cab would be the last on my list.

Cabs like a '83 SC or later 3.2 are much better options. I would not deal with a 964 cab despite their rarity.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Remi View Post
...Would you say that sellers hoping for $40k are a bit too optimistic?...
I put my 93 coupe (~145k miles) on craigslist, once in qtr2 and again in qtr3 of this year to see what the market is like in the FL area. In the $40's naturally.

What I've observed is interesting. A paradox of sorts. It is clear that demand is very high so long as the conversation remains in terms of want/desire. Move the conversation to the financial execution details and demand suddenly drops.

Another observation is the price band in question for a 964 seller kinda sucks too. There is a large pool of newer MY sports cars (to include Porsche) in that price band that are also competing for a buyer's attention.

The result? Stagnation: a 964 seller has no choice but to hold firm and be patient with the cycle. Conversely, a 964 buyer has no choice but to wait for an economic event to force seller price flexibility.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esel Mann View Post
I put my 93 coupe (~145k miles) on craigslist, once in qtr2 and again in qtr3 of this year to see what the market is like in the FL area. In the $40's naturally.

What I've observed is interesting. A paradox of sorts. It is clear that demand is very high so long as the conversation remains in terms of want/desire. Move the conversation to the financial execution details and demand suddenly drops.

Another observation is the price band in question for a 964 seller kinda sucks too. There is a large pool of newer MY sports cars (to include Porsche) in that price band that are also competing for a buyer's attention.

The result? Stagnation: a 964 seller has no choice but to hold firm and be patient with the cycle. Conversely, a 964 buyer has no choice but to wait for an economic event to force seller price flexibility.

Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing.

I am not interested in any appreciation, I just want to be able to drive without thinking about any kind of depreciation. If $40k for a 964 cab is a reasonable value that will hold for a while, I am in.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post

Cabs like a '83 SC or later 3.2 are much better options.
Why? Because you want a less powerful engine, or less stiff chassis? Or maybe just want a 915 instead of a g50. Or you can get by with a marginal air conditioner.

964 cabs are great, as are most 911's.

Just make sure it has no deferred maintenance and enjoy.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevoice View Post
Why? Because you want a less powerful engine, or less stiff chassis? Or maybe just want a 915 instead of a g50. Or you can get by with a marginal air conditioner.

964 cabs are great, as are most 911's.

Just make sure it has no deferred maintenance and enjoy.
Maybe because:

1) The idea or rumor that a Targa/Cab G-Body is less stiff than a 964s is complete hogwash. From people that I have talked to who have raced them, they say the G Body is as stiff as most people need it to be and may be even more so than a 964.
2) If you would like the G50 in a cab, then buy a late model G cab with a G50. Some people like the G50. I could care less about the G50. A 915 is classic and it's fine for me.
3) Air conditioner? Really? In a cab or Targa? Please. Keep the roof off or down and be a man.
4) Less powerful engine. Yeah, no. I like an engine that leaks in all the right places as aircooled 911 G bodies do - in the thermostat, the oil return tubes, the oil pressure switch, etc. I don't like an engine that leaks at the cylinders as a 964 - and all of them did when I was looking at them (even later ones). Plus, who really cares about the extra hp, like around 15 more with the 964.

I would buy the G body cab over the 964 any day and not worry about things like ABS and power steering. But that's me.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

964 vs 3.2 is an entirely different debate. I am coming from a 3.2 targa and I want a change (not to mention that it will be easier on my wife when it comes to driving it, the 915 transmission was a bit rough).

The PPI I was supposed to do yesterday did not happen, it will be early next week. FYI, I am looking at a 1993 cab with 80k miles in good condition.

Last edited by _Remi; 10-14-2017 at 12:19 PM..
Old 10-14-2017, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe because:

1) The idea or rumor that a Targa/Cab G-Body is less stiff than a 964s is complete hogwash. From people that I have talked to who have raced them, they say the G Body is as stiff as most people need it to be and may be even more so than a 964.
2) If you would like the G50 in a cab, then buy a late model G cab with a G50. Some people like the G50. I could care less about the G50. A 915 is classic and it's fine for me.
3) Air conditioner? Really? In a cab or Targa? Please. Keep the roof off or down and be a man.
4) Less powerful engine. Yeah, no. I like an engine that leaks in all the right places as aircooled 911 G bodies do - in the thermostat, the oil return tubes, the oil pressure switch, etc. I don't like an engine that leaks at the cylinders as a 964 - and all of them did when I was looking at them (even later ones). Plus, who really cares about the extra hp, like around 15 more with the 964.

I would buy the G body cab over the 964 any day and not worry about things like ABS and power steering. But that's me.
Stiff as you need, who needs ac, they leak, who cares about power, omg

They are stiffer, anyone who lives where it is hot and it rains wants good ac, they don't all leak - certainly not from the cylinders, and if you want to stay ahead of the random Accord or Camry - all these cars need more power.

Fine, you want an early one, but "a much better option" is bs.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not sure why anyone wants to stay ahead of an Accord or a Camry.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Driving a Targa or cab without a/c is like going deer hunting without an accordion.

2004 996TT w/X50
1974 911 Targa
Old 10-14-2017, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
I'm not sure why anyone wants to stay ahead of an Accord or a Camry.
Not sure why anyone with a sports car thinks sub 250 hp is enough

Another 100 would be a good start

By current measures, just about all of these air cooled cars should be in the sheeper thread, all looks and not much go.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Brooklyn View Post
Driving a Targa or cab without a/c is like going deer hunting without an accordion.
I invite you to the southern USA , where summer afternoon showers are common. Ninety plus degrees F in the rain will make you appreciate good a/c.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevoice View Post
Not sure why anyone with a sports car thinks sub 250 hp is enough

Another 100 would be a good start

By current measures, just about all of these air cooled cars should be in the sheeper thread, all looks and not much go.
what are you doing here nimbwit?
Old 10-15-2017, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: