Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I think it is 100% irrelevant what the car looked like in the beginning. The fact of the matter is it was turned into a pile of crap that is 100% unacceptable by any standards anywhere on the planet. I highly doubt there was any contract that anybody would agree to that says the car be turned into a bondo queen.
Nathan is correct in that if the work to be performed was outside the scope of the shops ability they should have said that at the time. I am a mechanic and I have no problem informing somebody if I'm not capable of doing the work. It keeps my ass out of trouble.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #401 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Yes, how many? We know your position on it. God knows you’ve repeated it enough times to every single person who disagrees with you. Saying it again isn’t going to sway those of us who think you are wrong.
Well... You do keep harping in this thread too, so...

Pot calling the kettle black?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #402 (permalink)

You forgot one another option: the OP sues John Esposito and his shop for damages and is given his car and his money back. Hopefully the OP and his lawyer have taken that position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewadd View Post
Well, I wish both of you the best in resolving this.
I'm not a legal expert, but I suppose the choices are these:

1. This goes to court or arbitration, and the court decides the outcome.
2. The shop decides this whole thing is too much hassle and releases the car, with certain stipulations.
3. Owner decides to pay the money that the shop believes it's owed for work performed, and then owner takes the car.
4. A compromise between options 2&3 occurs.
5. No one does anything further to resolve this, and therefore the shop becomes the owner of the car via the lein process.

I would encourage both sides to compromise on this and put this behind them. I think both sides could have handled things differently....and I'm sure both sides have something to bring to the table to offer in negotiation.

Good luck

Just my two-cents.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #403 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau911 View Post
You forgot one another option: the OP sues John Esposito and his shop for damages and is given his car and his money back. Hopefully the OP and his lawyer have taken that position.
This has been my position from the beginning. While I was standing there having my car liened I would have been on the phone with my lawyer. Even if someone had come forward to act as mediator I still would want legal counsel. Whether or not JE has any legal right to lien the car, getting it unraveled once it’s done is a tricky business. I’d want an attorney for that alone.

Last edited by Matt Monson; 11-11-2017 at 07:09 AM..
Old 11-11-2017, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #404 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
Old 11-11-2017, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #405 (permalink)
gearhead

Free
Old 11-11-2017, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #406 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage

Speaking of good photos.......check out this great restoration project
Old 11-12-2017, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #407 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtyseven911 View Post

But it looked terrible before, what do you expect? Even if it’s from the most reputable Smithsonian religious art restorer there is.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #408 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
But it looked terrible before, what do you expect? Even if it’s from the most reputable Smithsonian religious art restorer there is.
Good point. Maybe they should have just crushed it.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #409 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Good point. Maybe they should have just crushed it.
Lol yep should have crushed it for sure
Old 11-12-2017, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #410 (permalink)

Quote:

This is so hilarious. But what's even more hilarious than the original story on this one - the woman who did the 'touch-up' starting demanding money for her services because so many people were going to see it. I don't know if you saw the follow-up story to the initial restoration, but that woman is hilarious.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #411 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
This is so hilarious. But what's even more hilarious than the original story on this one - the woman who did the 'touch-up' starting demanding money for her services because so many people were going to see it. I don't know if you saw the follow-up story to the initial restoration, but that woman is hilarious.
Hory Shiet this is a true story!?
Old 11-12-2017, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #412 (permalink)

Quote:
Hory Shiet this is a true story!?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecce_Homo_(Mart%C3%ADnez_and_Giménez,_Borja)
Old 11-12-2017, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #413 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post

Picasso, I'm telling you. The half man half monkey touch up is strangely interesting.

Perhaps, John Esposito feels the same way about his bondo masterpieces.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #414 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
More photos before the rejection and correction list provided. Note: original paint front fenders, bare metal doors, and floor installation process.
More pics to come including the "as corrected" pics.

The car in the background behind yours, is that beige stuff on the door and fender Bondo ? If not, what is it ?

$53k body work or $73k body work? You decide
Old 11-13-2017, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #415 (permalink)
Filler is ok just not in excess of approx 1/16”-1/8” even if it’s a skim coat on the whole panel. Every restorer that I know does this with spread on(“bondo”) or spray on(polyester primer) to be able to block the panels perfectly straight. One of many of the issues here was that it looked to be well thicker than that in many areas. At that point you’re sculpting the car out of clay
Old 11-13-2017, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #416 (permalink)
Unsafe at any speed

Quote:
Filler is ok just not in excess of approx 1/16”-1/8” even if it’s a skim coat on the whole panel. Every restorer that I know does this with spread on(“bondo”) or spray on(polyester primer) to be able to block the panels perfectly straight. One of many of the issues here was that it looked to be well thicker than that in many areas. At that point you’re sculpting the car out of clay
So you're saying I can't have turbo flares on my Porsche, made out of Bondo?
Old 11-13-2017, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #417 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for sharing, like I said, I know nothing about bodywork. Is there a thickness beyond which bondo is easily distinguishable from metal ? Would it still sound like metal when you tap it (lightly and no, Rawknees, calm down) or look different ?
Old 11-13-2017, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #418 (permalink)

thickness

Years ago if you stripped a Furrari you ran into a similar situation.Sculpting is an art.Ciao
Old 11-13-2017, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #419 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Thanks for sharing, like I said, I know nothing about bodywork. Is there a thickness beyond which bondo is easily distinguishable from metal ? Would it still sound like metal when you tap it (lightly and no, Rawknees, calm down) or look different ?
Ha ha - you said "tap it"!

Yep, it would still feel and sound like metal it the filler layer is super thin.

To piggyback (not like that! ) off what Nathan said, it is common practice to float a lot of filler on panels, and then block sand most of it off, in order to get a very smooth and even surface - even with brand new panels that often have their share of imperfections (slight bumpy/waviness).
Old 11-13-2017, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #420 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: