Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 3.12 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don A. View Post
I sold the car with a clear history and vin. The secret number on the dash IS the chassis number in 67. No mystery. My side of the street is clean. No need to try and smear me.

Posting this does not change the work done on the 67. If you really want to help this speak with your friend John and have him release the car. You can also ring me any time. I am happy to discuss this. Thanks.

Don,
I'm not trying to smear you. I was just pointing out that you came in here all brimstone and fire in a way that suggests there is more than concern for a friend at play. You just confirmed you sold the car. There's your vested interest in how this plays out. You are biased regardless of what the end game facts turn out to be.

And I repeat what I said before. I don't know John. John isn't my friend. I've done business with him once, maybe a decade ago, when we sent him a customer's car. So don't suggest I speak to my friend. I don't have an agenda here like some other people do.

Last edited by Matt Monson; 10-21-2017 at 07:27 AM..
Old 10-21-2017, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Don,
I'm not trying to smear you. I was just pointing out that you came in here all brimstone and fire in a way that suggests there is more than concern for a friend at play. You just confirmed you sold the car. There's your vested interest in how this plays out. You are biased regardless of what the end game facts turn out to be.

And I repeat what I said before. I don't know John. John isn't my friend. I've done business with him once, maybe a decade ago, when we sent him a customer's car. So don't suggest I speak to my friend. I don't have an agenda here like some other people do.

Matt I am doing this because Chad is a friend and I value friendship. I have watched this whole disaster unfold over the two years. I have tried to advise him as this went along. I have seen the car in the flesh or should I say bondo. He is being wronged here and needs some help. He just wants his car back.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don A. View Post
Matt I am doing this because Chad is a friend and I value friendship. I have watched this whole disaster unfold over the two years. I have tried to advise him as this went along. I have seen the car in the flesh or should I say bondo. He is being wronged here and needs some help. He just wants his car back.
Like I said before, at the end of the day none of our opinions here matter, only the facts. You don't know what I really think. You again assume I'm am siding with John. This is a private matter that should have stayed private. If people are going to make it public let's get all the facts on the table. Nothing more, nothing less. So stop attacking me for asking pointed questions that are getting at the facts.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
@ Matt - look at the metadata for the photos and listen clearly to the post. The photos indicate both months ago at the point I stopped their work and subsequently issued a corrective punch list. The photos also show the same car as of Tuesday of this week when I attempted to recover my property. Simpler for you....before and after!
I have promised to post as arrived at John's shop just to show what it looked like 2 years ago and I'll get that done. However, the shop had no issue taking the car and working it. The shop did make some initial good progress. But the photos of where I stopped the car and where it is today speak for themselves.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
As for the race history...As Don A. indicated, the car has significant race history that is documented in log books which I have in my possession.

As for the vin...I'm thrilled that this topic came up. My tub with its serial number has remained intact during all of this. Read closely Matt! There are two vins on an early car like this; dash and front trunk on the gas tank support. The dash was left alone, but when the shop went to replace the support piece, they restamped the front vin. Nothing illegal here at all. Only issue is that the numbers they used were completely wrong! round topped 3 vs. flat-topped 3. Would that be ok on your car?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Hope they do the right thing and at least return the customers property.

The work shown in the pictures is an embarrassment
Old 10-21-2017, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtyseven911 View Post
As for the race history...As Don A. indicated, the car has significant race history that is documented in log books which I have in my possession.

As for the vin...I'm thrilled that this topic came up. My tub with its serial number has remained intact during all of this. Read closely Matt! There are two vins on an early car like this; dash and front trunk on the gas tank support. The dash was left alone, but when the shop went to replace the support piece, they restamped the front vin. Nothing illegal here at all. Only issue is that the numbers they used were completely wrong! round topped 3 vs. flat-topped 3. Would that be ok on your car?
That's your version. Yesterday someone else posted another version. How can both be facts?

I'm still convinced there's more under the surface that we, the viewing public, aren't seeing. I wish you the best with your car. It's a crap situation and I hope it can be worked out to your satisfaction, but I fail to see how your buddy posting here picking apart the shop's work is going to help you get your car back or make you whole. This thread is just as much of a smear campaign as the first one.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
@ Matt. Simple question. Whether qualified to judge or not, do you like the work on the car as it sits today?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

So what did the lein paperwork say? The shop owner has to list all the work and prices you are expected to owe him. Seems simple if you have all these pics and texts and emails and invoices you could clearly fight the lein and get the car back. I don't think the court takes false or fake liens lightly.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
@ Matt. Simple question. Whether qualified to judge or not, do you like the work on the car as it sits today?
I won't judge it based on so few pictures and so little detail.

What I will say is I have skepticism that the car is ready for paint.

Last edited by Matt Monson; 10-21-2017 at 09:25 AM..
Old 10-21-2017, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
That was part of the cluster f__K part of my story.
Short answer, I haven't received anything re: the lien yet! They told the police as we stood there that the lien had been filed a week prior. I watched as the lien guy they hired came and completed the paperwork that same day. When we got the lien guy on the phone he confirmed to me and to the police that he had completed the initial paperwork and was filing that day (Tuesday). Not a week prior. When the police and I both asked for any copies of the paperwork, the response from them was we don't have any and we never get any; you'll get something in the mail. Still no bill, still no supporting documentation, still no car!
Old 10-21-2017, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
That was part of the cluster f__K part of my story.
Short answer, I haven't received anything re: the lien yet! They told the police as we stood there that the lien had been filed a week prior. I watched as the lien guy they hired came and completed the paperwork that same day. When we got the lien guy on the phone he confirmed to me and to the police that he had completed the initial paperwork and was filing that day (Tuesday). Not a week prior. When the police and I both asked for any copies of the paperwork, the response from them was we don't have any and we never get any; you'll get something in the mail. Still no bill, still no supporting documentation, still no car!
You might want to check to see if the shop has a valid license....looks like previously might have been operating without a CA license in 2016...

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2016_UT_Citations_Posting.pdf
Old 10-21-2017, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBranz View Post
You might want to check to see if the shop has a valid license....looks like previously might have been operating without a CA license in 2016...

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2016_UT_Citations_Posting.pdf
https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Verify_License.html
shows no current license either for any "Esposito".

But yeah, there's one for "Espisito's" and it's delinquent since Apr 30 this year. Looks like a cluster**** to me.

Has the original license been suspended since 2016 ??

Last edited by pmax; 10-21-2017 at 08:13 PM..
Old 10-21-2017, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
Old 10-21-2017, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

I don't think anyone here, including the OP, is questioning John's work. But John didn't work on this car, an employee did. Obviously most highly respected shops will have other employees touch your car, but it's the owners job to make sure their work is done to the standards they are promising, and more importantly, charging for.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
So here's an exciting rub. If he is not a BAR registered shop they have no legal enforcement authority over him in this matter. This reeks of something very shady I'm sorry to say. Bar registration is like $200 a year wtf!? Is there strategy in not paying it and being compliant? OP under what circumstances were they allegedly conducting a lien sale a week prior to incident date? Were you guys in a disagreement over the phone for the last couple of weeks and they threatened to lien sale your car? Please explain

Last edited by nathanbs; 10-21-2017 at 05:00 PM..
Old 10-21-2017, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
@jfauto69 - I'm not positive about John's work at all. I'm not sure if he does any work at all any longer. I should be clear here that when I say John I am using that to represent the shop and any/all persons that touched my car since he represents the ownership and the shop including the QA/QC. Thanks for the post!

@ Matt930S - loved the train shot! I feel like I was once locked in one of those cars during the crash and I've been let out finally! Things are definitely looking brighter, but this is just the beginning.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Got to love the irony of a guy not paying his state license fees and then turn around and use the same legal framwork to slap a lien on a car.

liening this guy's car could be the least of the shops problems if it turns out he's not reporting income and not paying income and/or payroll taxes...if he's not paying for a license, one also has to question if his workers comp and other insurances are utd. If there is no worker's comp I would think wouldn't be too hard to get shop shut down.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
So here's an exciting rub. If he is mot a BAR registered shop they have no legal enforcement authority over them in this matter. This reeks of something very shady I'm sorry to say. Bar registration is like $200 a year wtf!? Is there strategy in not paying it and being compliant? OP under what circumstances were they allegedly conducting a lien sale a week prior to incident date? Were you guys in a disagreement over the phone for the last couple of weeks and they threatened to lien sale your car? Please explain
Correct me if I'm mistaken, just a lay person here, the business has to be legal otherwise there's no lien.

But like the Zombie said, sounds like they are or will be in a whole lot of trouble beyond this "private" civil business.

Last edited by pmax; 10-21-2017 at 04:54 PM..
Old 10-21-2017, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Correct me if I'm mistaken, just a lay person here, the business has to be legal otherwise there's no lien.

But like the Zombie said, sounds like they are or will be in a whole lot of trouble beyond this "private" civil business.
I'm not exactly sure who all can conduct a liensale. I think anyone that has another's vehicle in their possession whether it was abandoned or somehow the subject of a contract dispute can conduct a liensale. As I mentioned previously all that the OP has to do is object to the liensale and then I think there is a 30 day period of which John E can petition to DMV, if this 30 day period expires the only option is seek legal remedy through a judges order via trial. Neither the DMV nor a judge would ever approve the liensale based on the information provided.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: