Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 3.12 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
USAF VET

Garage
Lol....Had to say something to draw you out of PARF.

MattR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
***buttsnorkling***

(butt true)
Old 10-23-2017, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt930s View Post
Lol....Had to say something to draw you out of PARF.

MattR
Ha ha - ya', I've gone berserk slinging shart over there, for sure!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 10-23-2017 at 06:55 PM..
Old 10-23-2017, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Unsafe at any speed

As a fellow car enthusiast who's suffered through bad outcomes of extensive work being done by a highly reputable shop, I follow this thread with interest. I hope to learn how others have dealt with the issues. I'd suggest this thread be moved to the technical forums to reach a wider audience, and to prevent it from further devolving into insider jokes by some of the regulars who populate the Marketplace Discussion subforum.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt930s View Post
Why do you keep engaging with this Matt? You stated your perspective very eloquently several posts back.

MattR
Ditto

These threads are his Kryptonite. He can't let them go on without some objective perspective thrown in.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
Ditto

These threads are his Kryptonite. He can't let them go on without some objective perspective thrown in.
Matt and I have discussed privately and interestingly enough we both have probably commented as much or more than anyone else. I think its due to the fact we both have automotive businesses and we are both passionate in our own ways about #1 how to avoid this scenario in the first place and #2 how to handle it god forbid it ever happens. I also feel like its kind of a situation of one bad apple spoiling the bunch so its made me a little more passionate than usual to want to see it resolved. I HATE to see customers raked through the coals

Last edited by nathanbs; 10-23-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Old 10-23-2017, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Matt and I . . . are both passionate . . . about #1 . . . and #2 . . .

Total freaks!!!
Old 10-23-2017, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

PMAX

If I read correctly in the previous thread, apparently a common practice is to dimple paint with a pencil to simulate factory welds

Y
Im not getting involved in forum BS. If anybody ever needs real honest help about metal work send me a PM. We are trying to make repairs decorative that were never intended to be as such. No spot welds were never done in perfect rows or with the exact look for each one. What happens is the industry keeps pushing harder and harder to have perfection and we wind up doing everything we can to reach that level of perfection. Yes it is silly to actually sit there and dip and twist an erased into a skim coat but it works. It gets even crazier when you are into Hot Rod work where you can spend 20hrs prepping a set of control arms.

By the way it is a pencil eraser and a whole puncher where you take some 180 and punch a hole into it and take the little circle and stick it to an eraser. You then twist the pencil until you replicate a perfect spot weld.

Here we just have crappy work but probably when covered and painted would satisfy the so called experts. The shop and the owner knows what they agreed upon and in this case the work looks sub par for even a beat up race car but then again quality is subjective. In my eyes that is bad and yes I see pics on here daily of BAD work and it being praised.

Good luck to all involve and hopefully cooler heads will prevail and the right thing is done! Back to the arguing.

Last edited by WANNA930; 10-23-2017 at 03:51 PM..
Old 10-23-2017, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
Wanna930, appreciate the insider's look under the "hood" so to speak ... learning stuff all the time about the industry.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Gents for the replies and support. I think I've accomplished what I wanted from this thread....to expose the truth of my story, to help others that may be in the same situation, and to get helpful information for moving forward.

I have come to learn that my incident is not isolated. I cannot attest to the facts of the other cases, however, the situations seem eerily similar and that's scary.

It's time to turn towards other endeavors. I hope that everyone got something of use from this thread as well.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
And thanks to this incredible forum for giving the community its public voice.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Unsafe at any speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtyseven911 View Post
Thanks Gents for the replies and support. I think I've accomplished what I wanted from this thread....to expose the truth of my story, to help others that may be in the same situation, and to get helpful information for moving forward.

I have come to learn that my incident is not isolated. I cannot attest to the facts of the other cases, however, the situations seem eerily similar and that's scary.

It's time to turn towards other endeavors. I hope that everyone got something of use from this thread as well.
So you're ending this thread? That's rather anticlimactic. I was looking forward to seeing some kind of resolution, and wanted to see how it unfolded, having gone through something like this myself (though less costly) that remains unsatisfactorily resolved.

Do you have this untrusted shop continue cutting and welding on your prized possession? Do you move it to another shop? Do you bring it home, watch videos, buy tools, and learn to make repairs yourself (that's what I ended up doing)?

I suppose you've got to do what's right for you in this frustrating project. Just remember, no matter how bad things seem and how angry you get, it's still just first world problems.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Sturmvogel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Ha ha - ya', I've gone berserk slinging shart over there, for sure!
You fit right in there. With the slinging that goes on in there, it resembles a primate house in any large zoo. Well, except the zoo primates have a higher aggregate intelligence.

I sympathize with the guy here. I have been on both sides of this, and having been the person who got very crap product/service for the money spent, I know how frustrating it is. I am very glad I wasn't into it 500 Benjamins. On the other side of it, our company delivered crap product/service, and I had to figure out how to make it right with our customer (because they were a very large portion of our yearly revenue.) My butt-kissing skills would have made you proud, Mr. Tex-ASS.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Well put...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader View Post
.. to prevent it from further devolving into insider jokes by some of the regulars who populate the Marketplace Discussion subforum...
Old 10-23-2017, 11:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
How about Techweenie ?
Funny, I was thinking about volunteering, but I've had a long friendship with John E and have done two restorations with him. I figure I would not be perceived as being objective by the OP (who has a reputation as a very nice guy). Nevertheless, I would like to see this resolved and would invest my time to help if asked.
2016 Chevy Volt parts fetcher- now at 444 MPG
Old 10-24-2017, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by techweenie View Post
Funny, I was thinking about volunteering, but I've had a long friendship with John E and have done two restorations with him. I figure I would not be perceived as being objective by the OP (who has a reputation as a very nice guy). Nevertheless, I would like to see this resolved and would invest my time to help if asked.
Interesting concept. What would the skill set and relationship or lack thereof of the mediator ideally be in this case?
Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
What would the skill set and relationship or lack thereof of the mediator ideally be in this case?
I would say that first and foremost, the moderator must have a good knowledge and appreciation of the early 911 cars.
In addition, he/she should have direct experience either restoring these cars properly and/or having paid to have numerous early 911 cars restored.
A knowledge of the actual costs involved in restoring an early 911.
Lastly, un unbiased position and a good sense of fairness.

It also helps greatly if the person is local....
Old 10-24-2017, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

tough situation

Cooler heads will prevail in this type of matter.I hope Techweenie can help as logic is better than emotion.Fred
Old 10-24-2017, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by techweenie View Post
Sounds fine to me.

Mediation do not always have to be a formal process among friends.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

No it doesn't. But it does have to be binding to both sides, or it's a waste of time for everyone involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Sounds fine to me.

Mediation do not always have to be a formal process among friends.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Get Techweenie over there and get this done and over. He's the man that will and can save the day. This is a great option as he volunteered. Techweenie will get 'er done.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: