Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Chicago Porsche Shop

Does anyone know a good Porsche shop in Chicago?

Midwest Performance is too expensive and do sloppy work.

Last edited by lada03; 10-21-2017 at 09:52 PM..
Old 10-21-2017, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's so bad here I actually was thinking of opening one in Lake Forest/Libertyville. I am surprised how many cars there are here and not any real shops.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Agreed, there aren’t many options for quality Porsche service in the downtown area, at least for air cooled cars anyways. When I lived there I went to Midwest Perfrormance as well cause there just weren’t any other real options. While they might be expensive I did find them to be honest, which isn’t always the case in this business. There wasn’t any overcharging for work I didn’t know I didn’t need. If you want to try outside the city go to Perfect Power in Buffalo Grove, see if you prefer them over Midwest Performance.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Perfect Power is the best.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The previous owner religiously took the car to
Kurts’ German autowerks in Homer Glenn, IL, thats how i actually found the car.

He is great, and well known, but again too far from downtownn. Just nothing around here.

Midwest performance did some electrical work for me one time, but forgot too put the fuse cover on on by the egine bay and tidy up the wires.
Was pretty sloppy work which i had to come back and have them fix it up
Old 10-22-2017, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

As a 930 dealer in the area ( Milwaukee ) I've had some Chicago land cars over the decades. I'd also put Perfect power as a great place. Still have one ( a keeper ) that they got right sorting out a 15 year old complicated build 5 years ago after lots spent @ other shops although some of the other shops were from a different area. It now is a real pleasure to drive.

Last edited by voitureltd; 10-22-2017 at 10:19 AM..
Old 10-22-2017, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

for what year car(s) and what area.

perfect power for air cool in the north burbs

olsen motorsports for newer car in the south burbs
Old 10-22-2017, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Like the OP, I sort of lament the lack of options in the city. I do my own maintenance, but it's nice to know of good options if I ever need to take the car somewhere. As a northsider, Lake & Ogden (where Midwest Performance is) is by far the most convenient compared to anything in the burbs.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Look for Artisan Motor Bau, Artisan
Ask for Allen, he is a great guy and very reputable. Works on a variety of Exotic cars, has rebuilt multiple Porsche and Ferrari engines.

He is in Lakemoor Illinois.

Highly recommend.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K. View Post
Look for Artisan Motor Bau, Artisan
Ask for Allen, he is a great guy and very reputable. Works on a variety of Exotic cars, has rebuilt multiple Porsche and Ferrari engines.

He is in Lakemoor Illinois.

Highly recommend.
That's close to a 2 hour drive from Chicago. Lol. The OP asked for Chicago referrals.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Like everyone mentioned if you are looking for downtown Chicago, there aren't many options; I say it is well worth the hour and half drive for a highly qualified work at a very fair price.
But if you disagree... go ahead and pay for what you deem is valuable and take it where you deem right.
If your anything familiar with the Midwest an hour drive can still be considered local.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
gearhead

Hell. I used to work in San Francisco and my 12 mi commute was 90 Minutes. If you’re gonna live urban you will have long transit times. That’s not a Midwest thing.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-07-2018, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Hell. I used to work in San Francisco and my 12 mi commute was 90 Minutes. If youíre gonna live urban you will have long transit times. Thatís not a Midwest thing.
Maybe not that bad, but Chicago is terrible for traffic. The roads are bad, the weather doesnít help, and the traffic is all hours of the day bad. I lived there for many years, it was brutal. Not always 12 miles and 90 minutes bad, but it was still bad. I used Midwest Performance for servicing my 930s, they were very close, like a 10 minute drive with bad traffic. Tom, the owner, is a stand up guy. I never had any issues when I was bringing my carís to him. I donít see any need to leave the city for a mechanic for normal service work on air cooled P carís.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Maybe not that bad, but Chicago is terrible for traffic. The roads are bad, the weather doesnít help, and the traffic is all hours of the day bad. I lived there for many years, it was brutal. Not always 12 miles and 90 minutes bad, but it was still bad. I used Midwest Performance for servicing my 930s, they were very close, like a 10 minute drive with bad traffic. Tom, the owner, is a stand up guy. I never had any issues when I was bringing my carís to him. I donít see any need to leave the city for a mechanic for normal service work on air cooled P carís.
That's not what you said before. Before you just mocked someone else's suggestion.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-07-2018, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
That's not what you said before. Before you just mocked someone else's suggestion.
I haven't changed my tune on anything. I was mocking someone for recommending a shop that's 55 miles from Chicago! The OP was asking for recommendations IN Chicago, Lakemoor is nearly Wisconsin. Not sure where the confusion was in my last comment...
Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Maybe not that bad, but Chicago is terrible for traffic. The roads are bad, the weather doesnít help, and the traffic is all hours of the day bad. I lived there for many years, it was brutal. Not always 12 miles and 90 minutes bad, but it was still bad.
I second this. After living in SoCal for a decade and dealing the the 405 and the 5 for all that time I don't see anything different than Chicago. At least in California they fix the roads unlike here where it takes entire seasons to fix them (and they start at the end of summer). The traffic is shocking in the Chicagoland era. It blows. I cannot believe I live here now.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I second this. After living in SoCal for a decade and dealing the the 405 and the 5 for all that time I don't see anything different than Chicago. At least in California they fix the roads unlike here where it takes entire seasons to fix them (and they start at the end of summer). The traffic is shocking in the Chicagoland era. It blows. I cannot believe I live here now.
Between the traffic and the weather, those were two very motivating reasons to get out of dodge. And Iím glad I did.

Did you enjoy your 3 weeks of summer? Thatís usually about what it felt like when I lived there.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I understand the OP's desire for somewhere in the city to go, if he lives in the city. I can't help with a suggestion - I did have Midwest Performance give my car a look-over after I had bought it to see if there were any issues I wasn't aware of (there weren't) and it was fabulously convenient - drop car off in the morning, Divvy to work and then home, Divvy down the next afternoon to pick it up after work. Other than Saturday morning trips to Evanston for the market and bakery, I hardly ever leave the city unless I'm leaving the metro area entirely. Given car traffic conditions - my office moved to Pullman and I have a huge commute now from the NW side, and despite killing my soul a little every day, driving a car to work saves so much time over the transit/bike options that I often do it - taking a car to the outer burbs is a non-trivial undertaking. It is only, by my standards, reasonable if you can take Metra to and from the shop after dropping the car off.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
BTR Ė Chicago His shop is in Evanston - visit him on the way to the farmers market

Bart is a good guy - does allot of high end cars. He has worked on my 944. I don't know how you define expensive -

I also use Loeber Motors in Lincolnwood. There is a mechanic there who knows 944s inside and out. I have even given them parts to be installed on my car.

There is also Fischer in Barrington, IL

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway

Last edited by jcommin; 09-18-2018 at 08:22 AM..
Old 09-18-2018, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

If you have a 924/944/951/968, go to Lou's Garage in Lake Forest. Those two guys are excellent on the older cars. They have been able to handle everything I've thrown at them over the last 20 years with my 951 and 993 and I never worry.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: