Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

need advice: buying a 996 turbo

Ive been wanting to buy a 996 turbo for a long time. Have passed up some great opportunities because the timing wasn't right. Now I just want one. Not interested in collecting. Just want one that will be reliable and spend more time on the road than the shop. I can't afford a money pit. I'm not a mechanic so any major issue is going to a shop.

I found a 2003 coupe blk/blk 6speed w/ 73k miles and looks great so far but has at least one potentially expensive issue: spoiler doesn't work. I'm not totally horrified by this because I know there are several options: I might be lucky and it could be a simple problem that I can just fix myself, I could eliminate the issue and get a $150 kit to just fix it in place, or i could upgrade and get the light weight Rennkit which will be ~$1700:

996 Turbo eRam Electric Wing Actuation Kit - Rennkit - Rennkit

This car has after market stereo which I am fine with because the stock ones were nothing special. Has Bilstein PSS10 coilovers, extra set of wheels in addition to the turbo twists, will need tires soon. Has already had the 2nd gear pop out addressed before it became an issue. Engine is reportedly stock. He did add RSS engine mounts.

Reason for selling is that the seller moved in to a new home and the driveway is less than accommodating for a low height car.

I am getting a PPI at a reputable shop. I've offered a fair price and he has accepted. Purchase will be contingent on a clean PPI without major issues. This is not my first porsche so I know the potential pitfalls. Carfax is clean but it has had 5 owners which is probably the thing that concerns me the most. I'm just curious about some experienced opinions on this.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

They are amazing cars that retain some air cooled character. Fast stock and they can run with modern super cars with a few upgrades. Also quite practical and very reliable. I sold mine and have regretted it ever since. Congrats!
Past: 911T, Carrera, 951s, 955, 996s, 987s, 986s, 997s, BMW x5, C36, C63, XJR, S8, Maserati Coupe, GT500, etc
Old 10-27-2017, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have had 2 - one is now a dedicated track car. Do not worry about owners unless the car looks severly negliected in the PPI - due to the price point people are buying them enjoying them for a year and parting ways with little or no loss in initial purchase price. I love the cars and will most likely continue to have at least one in my garage at all times. The spoiler issue wouldnt bother me but if so the Rennkit is the way to go if you dont want to change to a GT2 style wing- I would look on rennlist there are active threads in the 996tt forum for the same topics.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
try cross posting into the market place forum. many knowledgeable people there across the entire marque as opposed to this aircooled forum.
03 996TT(sold 10/16 stupid&fast)78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 10-27-2017, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I helped a friend install the Rennkit 4" spoiler electric lifts on his 2002 996 turbo. It was not too bad to install as long as you can do some electrical wiring. Just follow the instructions and get their special wrench. It is a two man job when handling the spoiler. The right hand motor is a tight fit when closing the lid. His had the waterproof rubber boots which may have contributed to the close fit.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Cool! I have been looking and want one too! However, it seems I waited too long as the prices have gone up during the last year or so.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the opinions. I've noticed prices have gone up on the low mile cars but the higher mile ones are still reasonable. I don't anticipate a well used 996tt ever being a good investment. For me its about having the supercar I always wanted and to be able to use it without much drama.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
I've had one for a little over a year - It's fantastic. Still a 14 year old car - so there are a few things that I had to address (had a leaking radiator, spoiler inop, and the radio)

I addressed all those, replaced the two side radiators - fixed the spoiler with a rebleed and a little leak fix - probably spent too much on the radio with a double DIN unit with car play - but love it.

I replaced diverter valves and hoses - and did a softtune - and the car is an absolute rocket.

They are great cars - I'd highly recommend - still analog enough where you get the solid driving experience - I don't miss the aircooled cars that I had before - and I had some good ones...

Last edited by JeremyD; 10-27-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Old 10-27-2017, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyD View Post
I don't miss the aircooled cars that I had before - and I had some good ones...
As my garage space dwindles, I think about this every day. Do I stick with my beloved classic or pick up the undisputed $40k bang-for-buck champion?

Last edited by Tremelune; 10-27-2017 at 12:07 PM..
Old 10-27-2017, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I have owned my 996TT for 5 years now. It really has been great. I believe you will enjoy your's as well. Outside of replacing the hydraulic rams (with the rennkit system), there have been no major repairs needed. I would look at the lightsavers for the rear lights. I believe rennkit sells them as well.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

When it was still a streetable car
Old 10-28-2017, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Speed Metal Army General

I just drove one of these last week. I cant stop thinking about the damn thing now! I may be screwed! Haha!
Old 10-28-2017, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
As my garage space dwindles, I think about this every day. Do I stick with my beloved classic or pick up the undisputed $40k bang-for-buck champion?
I went from racing an aircooled 911 I built to a 996tt that I owned for 10 months road driving exclusively. it was fast as hell, easy to drive, looked cool & was not for me. i researched the car prior to purchase and found a low mile, documented example relatively close that "checked all the boxes". i also studied and did a number of projects on the car that were good upgrades IMO.

replaced the tranny mount pillows with a set that i pressed into the carrier. they say simply go to the 997 carrier with better bushings, but that's like $500. there is also some hookie pump glue into the existing stock mount to fill the rubber mount's voids. i got a "green" grade mount from renn something or other and pressed them into my carrier after cutting & pressing the old mounts out. improved shifting immensely.

i never liked the feel of the 6t's shifter as i received my car. after "mastering" a 915, i know this sounds weird, the 6 speed seemed vague at best. the PPO, even at 60k miles an experienced hand said the clutch was "great" as was shifting. in addition to the transmission busing i eventually replaced the stock motor mounts with a wevo offering. it transformed the shifting of the car. there are plenty of shifter upgrades for the 6t that involve wires and shift linkage, but getting rid of the OE tranny & motor mounts are the best bang for the buck IMO.

i ended up adding the GMG adjustable sway bars, some BFG tires due to limited options besides boo-koo buck Michelins and quickly lost interest in the car. i knew it would need a clutch slave at some point soon, a $8k clutch job, the cooling lines welded or pinned if you were to really trust the car long term, track or not.

i went back to an old school 911 that i can use twice the skill to drive half as fast & work on myself..
03 996TT(sold 10/16 stupid&fast)78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ

Last edited by juanbenae; 10-28-2017 at 07:06 PM..
Old 10-28-2017, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
i also found during my look in on the model was the RL 6t (that's what they call them) forum is very well attended. was able to look over a number of maintenance threads that aided in my motor & drive line fluid changing which i also did.. they have a few 90w boxes!!!
Old 10-28-2017, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have two 997 twin turbos right now. They are awesome cars, and they are very much like an improved 996.

Buy now - both the 997tt and 996 tt prices are rising and have been for probably a year. I remember when you could get a 6tt for in the high 20s....the only ones like that now are bagged. Most in the low 40s now.....

You will be very happy with the car, it is mod friendly!

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 10-28-2017, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I started to look at 996TTs about 3 years ago, and they just seemed a little expensive--like everyone was asking a bit too much. Isn't that always the case?

So I started searching for a 997TT, as I prefer the look of the 997 and found one with less than 10k miles, bone stock. I bought it and have been very, very happy. So, I agree with Catorce. Prices seem to be holding/rising on the 997, and are clearly up on the 996. Time is probably not your friend on this quest.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

With regards to Juan's post, these really aren't bad to work on. I did a major service on my 996TT, the only extra hassle is needing to pull the rear bumper cover and intercoolers to replace the spark plugs. Maybe an extra hour worth of straightforward work. It's really no bigger of a pain than doing an air cooled valve adjustment with the engine in the car.
Past: 911T, Carrera, 951s, 955, 996s, 987s, 986s, 997s, BMW x5, C36, C63, XJR, S8, Maserati Coupe, GT500, etc
Old 10-29-2017, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

If you buy one and then stick a tune on it - which transforms it - budget for a new clutch and uprated pressure plate in short order. Other than that mines needed oil changes.

Let's hope I didn't just jinx myself...
Old 10-29-2017, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Waiting for a PPI at TRE later this week. Here are a couple pics. Any questions in particular I should be asking the owner? Anything I should be specifically asking the folks at TRE to look for? What guarantee does a PPI give me if any? Owner says the next thing he would have done if he kept the car was pinning the water hoses. How hard is that to do and why is it needed? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
The faster a car is, the less of it you can use on public roadway.
The less of a car you use, the less engaging the driving experience.
(eg: 2nd gear at 90mph)
Odds are, your classic is as fast as you need a car to be.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: