Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

No , scrap that ...

The car I bought from Arizona got wrecked by an uninsured driver .

THAT , is the worst thing about socal
Old 10-27-2017, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I guess I did not ask the right question, This is 'Porsche Market place'
This is my point, question.
Who cares if this car came from, lived in California? it is rusty, why mention in the ad it is a "California car"unless there are that many naïve?, clueless?, or wishful thinkers that some how think a rusty California car is better than a rusty European car?
This is just Stupid on the part of the buyers if that sways them it was a "California car". The car is rusty, even if it is from California, and will be a pile of work to fix.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
Who cares if this car came from, lived in California? it is rusty, why mention in the ad it is a "California car"unless there are that many naïve?, clueless?, or wishful thinkers that some how think a rusty California car is better than a rusty European car?
This is just Stupid on the part of the buyers if that sways them it was a "California car". The car is rusty, even if it is from California, and will be a pile of work to fix.
That's hilarious. Probably mentioned it because it is the ONE thing that could possibly be good about this car, though it negates the one good thing because most people often attribute no rust to California.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I got your point .

And as you didn’t say , the title of the forum ends with the word “discussion” ...

IMHO , having been involved with cars on both sides of the water .
A rusty California car is more likely to be “honest” . Ie : it is what you see , and the oxidization has occurred gradually over many years .
The first part of many European restorations is undoing all the repairs needed to keep a car passing its annual test over the years of living in bad weather .
Underneath that thick layer on under seal , you just know you could come across a patchwork quilt !!!

The definition of rust in California is DEFINATELY different to the definition of rust in Manchester ...
Old 10-27-2017, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
yup

Last edited by ficke; 10-27-2017 at 11:48 AM..
Old 10-27-2017, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c2 View Post
I got your point .

And as you didn’t say , the title of the forum ends with the word “discussion” ...

IMHO , having been involved with cars on both sides of the water .
A rusty California car is more likely to be “honest” . Ie : it is what you see , and the oxidization has occurred gradually over many years .
The first part of many European restorations is undoing all the repairs needed to keep a car passing its annual test over the years of living in bad weather .
Underneath that thick layer on under seal , you just know you could come across a patchwork quilt !!!

The definition of rust in California is DEFINATELY different to the definition of rust in Manchester ...
Good discussion,
It is also funny though how if you question California status, it is like question some ones religion, belief system, the blow back is serious.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
That's hilarious. Probably mentioned it because it is the ONE thing that could possibly be good about this car, though it negates the one good thing because most people often attribute no rust to California.
I agree, the irony in the ad was funny, in a sad sort of way because it most likely works.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
Good discussion,
It is also funny though how if you question California status, it is like question some ones religion, belief system, the blow back is serious.
I also found it funny when I worked at intel Arizona how many cars drove around with NO-CAL stickers !!

Neighbors rivalry uh ...

I was also editing that post when my iPad battery went flat and I lost it , but I’ve seen cars that lived by the mississippi in stl and illinois that REALLY suffered .

In Europe you’ll see “Texas” car in ads , but many don’t realize parts of Texas are green ....

Last edited by ian c2; 10-27-2017 at 12:07 PM..
Old 10-27-2017, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I also found it funny when I worked at intel Arizona how many cars drove around with NO-CAL stickers !!

Neighbors rivalry uh ...

I was also editing that post when my iPad battery went flat and I lost it , but I’ve seen cars that lived by the mississippi in stl and illinois that REALLY suffered .

In Europe you’ll see “Texas” car in ads , but many don’t realize parts of Texas are green ....
Any in E St Louis IL would definitely have suffered
Old 10-27-2017, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I was working at the wood river refinery , first stayed in saint Luis , then moved to roxanna then east alton .

I remember being told that area had the biggest spread between hot and cold than anywhere else in the world ..

Some of the cars where BAD .....
Old 10-27-2017, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast54 View Post
Any in E St Louis IL would definitely have suffered
Yup, and any car from California would not be rusty
Old 10-27-2017, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

The only thing that matters is the current condition of the car. I could care less where it came from, how long the original owner had it, whether it came out of a collection (hate that one), whether it was loved or not, etc. Thats all fluff.
previous Pcars
'95 993 Polar Silver/Chestnut;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
Old 10-27-2017, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

The weather in Watford here in the UK - Dull, Grey, Monotonous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__QqQq9XBsQ

(Turn the volume up)

California?
Old 10-28-2017, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

One of the nice things about dry state cars is the lack of rust but also how fasteners, particularly suspension items, come off with ease, often with just hand tools.

My first 911SC spent it’s whole life in SoCal and AZ but it had rust in the windshield corners and rockers. Yes, you’ll get a better specimen overall but they’re not immune.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
NorCal 96 C2

Garage
Agree with KNS
My first 911 in Ohio - all the header studs broke off when removing. My California 911 - no problem with header studs. Not even surface rust on a 1979 GT6 that sat in a field for 6 years before restoring.
My opinion, CA care worth at least a 10% premium.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
There's one guy I can think of who might be able to buy and restore this 912 and live long enough to see it appreciate enough to break even ...

Old 10-28-2017, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
. . .

As a long time TexASS resident, that "Texas car" notation would mean to me, "baked to a crisp by the year-round, pounding sun, possibility of significant component corrosion due to extreme humidity, frequent home to mice, rats and all manner of insects, pounded repeatedly by hail, and remnants of tobacco spit present (maybe some cattle shart, too)".
Old 10-28-2017, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Driven hard but not put away wet I have a 77 turbo carrera ( from Florida / Texas ) with just turned 27K original miles with the highly desireable but dreaded 2 part silver paint. Much of the upper car clear coat and some of the silver under paint has been progressively repainted over the years due to sun damage along with the leather dash replaced with the later single vent bullet proof dash with the later non leather one.
Perfect underneath still looks practically new, still shiny cad plated stuff, but that is the trade off on certain ones. I'll take a car like this any day to a low mileage original paint one that has been driven on salty roads at times since it was new. I looked at a silver 76 930 with miles in the 20s at a midwest exotic car dealer a few years ago that was carelessly driven on salty roads. I would not take it for free if I would have had to repair all the salt related issues to be like one never exposed to that abuse. Of course that was in the time you could still get a very nice, ( least desireable year ) 76- 77 930 for under $30K.

Last edited by voitureltd; 10-29-2017 at 08:33 AM..
Old 10-29-2017, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
I wonder if "CA car" is a vestige from commuter grade used car sales from decades past where it meant something.
The reality is that it is almost meaningless in the world of expensive collectible vintage weekend cars.

For example, almost no one drives their vintage 911 in the blizzard, or even during the season containing a blizzard.
Here in the NE, vintage cars are often mothballed for 6 months a year by their owners.
As a result, many cars from seasonal climates may actually have half the miles, are garaged year round, and never ever see any sort of winter conditions.

Consider both ends of the spectrum.
A car from CA might be a used up turd, and a car from NY might be a climate controlled garage museum piece.
Look at a sample of used up 200k+ mile examples, and I bet the minority will be from northern climates.

In the end, judge a car on its own merits.

Last edited by sugarwood; 10-29-2017 at 08:34 AM..
Old 10-29-2017, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
I wonder if "CA car" is a vestige from commuter grade used car sales from decades past where it meant something.
The reality is that it is almost meaningless in the world of expensive collectible vintage weekend cars.

For example, almost no one drives their vintage 911 in the blizzard, or even during the season containing a blizzard.
Here in the NE, vintage cars are often mothballed for 6 months a year by their owners.
As a result, many cars from seasonal climates may actually have half the miles, are garaged year round, and never ever see any sort of winter conditions.

Consider both ends of the spectrum.
A car from CA might be a used up turd, and a car from NY might be a climate controlled garage museum piece.
Look at a sample of used up 200k+ mile examples, and I bet the minority will be from northern climates.

In the end, judge a car on its own merits.
Well said, as this concurs for the most part with my experience, although when new some did use their new ( now desireable vintage ) Porsches in bad weather and it really can be a negative now if it was, even if it has been repaired / restored for this happening, especially now that some are demanding other than just original paint. Original paint and CA car may used less in the future as the defining prominent and most important description of a car. A careful underside inspection, if ever from a salty road climate, is my first priority when appraising or purchasing. Some will still go for it if previously used in those conditions and the price is right, however that makes it most undesirable for me.

Last edited by voitureltd; 10-29-2017 at 02:08 PM..
Old 10-29-2017, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: