Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
Years ago I had a girlfriend come from Wyoming to the LA area are to live with me. She was amazed how our cars looked. She said they were all shiny with no rust. So there is the proof! Heck, my old 85 is the proof!
Years ago I drove my nice original 67 S to a Rgroup/s thingy in Santa Rosa Cal. from AZ. this guy told me it was not original because the chrome was to nice, (I have personally been around the car since 1970 when my friends dad bought it, I know it was all original) in his mind it had to have been redone to look like that, He added he was from California and knows what nice cars look like.
I tried to tell him this was not a Cal. car, so do not put Cal. expectations on it.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
The car went to the land of cheap metal work and nice lead, Poland. It will probably come out like brand new, at a third of the price for restoring it here. And it will be matching numbers!

---Adam
Restored, matching numbers, one previous owner, sounds good to some. I had a friend( owned a shop that did the Porsche dealer warranty for paint defects, or accident repair in SW Wisconsin ) that would not put together the last 300 SL gullwing that he bought partially assembled off the assembly line after Studebaker bought ( or merged ) with MB in the mid 50's. One reason was Zink chromate primer that was used at that time was not expected to last over 300 years, so I guess there are different ways to evaluate desirability of the finished product and what it was.

Last edited by voitureltd; 11-01-2017 at 09:20 AM..
Old 11-01-2017, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlane930 View Post
Like grandma’s underwear, it depends. In some states, if an older Porsche was garaged in winter, then it’s not much of a factor as long as it was not driven in salt/snow. My ’75 has always been in Colorado and I think the high altitude, lack of driving in the snow, and low average humidity (~20-30%) has preserved the car just as well (if not better) than the low humidity areas of California/Arizona.
Again, in an ideal world, we know everything about a p-car and the seller always tells the truth. We don't live in one. A buyer makes the best guess based on what he knows and what the seller claims.

The charts, Texas, really, low humidity just like Cali ?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
The car went to the land of cheap metal work and nice lead, Poland. It will probably come out like brand new, at a third of the price for restoring it here. And it will be matching numbers!

---Adam
If you had piled the dirt on top, rather than inside, you could have advertised it for a 50% premium as a 'barnfind'.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Again, in an ideal world, we know everything about a p-car and the seller always tells the truth. We don't live in one. A buyer makes the best guess based on what he knows and what the seller claims.

The charts, Texas, really, low humidity just like Cali ?
That chart is at least nine years old (going by the date on it) - sure seems to me like the humidity in North TexAss has gotten far worse in the past 4-5 years (is 90% humidity currently). It is a hot, nasty, sticky sauna here most of the year. It's also the land of no seasons; yesterday's high was mid 50s and Thursday's high is 90.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 11-01-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Old 11-01-2017, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
If you had piled the dirt on top, rather than inside, you could have advertised it for a 50% premium as a 'barnfind'.

You're forgetting the "new trick" people are doing. You get a normal car, wet it down, and reverse a wet/dry vac on it, instant layer of dust. And no, I don't do this, I don't have to, I have enough dust without making it up...

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 11-01-2017, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
That chart is at least nine years old (going by the date on it) - sure seems to me like the humidity in North TexAss has gotten far worse in the past 4-5 years (is 90% humidity currently). It is a hot, nasty, sticky sauna here most of the year. It's also the land of no seasons; yesterday's high was mid 50s and Thursday's high is 90.
Sure, it's not just you ?

The charts don't lie.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
gearhead

Every person I know who lives in Texas complains about the humidity. And I have a lot of friends and family in Texas. Some people “talk about the weather”. Texans complain about the humidity.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Texas is a big state, so is California, saying it is humid in Texas is incorrect. Saying it is humid in some parts of Texas would be correct.
Like saying it does not snow in California, really, never heard of Donner pass? did the Donner's believe it did not snow in California also?
Big states with different conditions in both states.
I look at each car on it's own merits, I have more hope on west Texas and Southern California cars than Michigan or New York. But it really comes down to the particular car with me.
Like the car linked in my first post of this thread, it is a rust bucket and the fact it is from California does not diminish the rust or even make it better in any way to me, it is still a rusty mess.

Maybe Adam should title the rusty mess he has with a California title to lesson the rust damage on the car he has pictured? It seems to work for some.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
Like the car linked in my first post of this thread, it is a rust bucket and the fact it is from California does not diminish the rust or even make it better in any way to me, it is still a rusty mess.

You titled this thread " Is Califronia car a plus?"
I read that as "Is the average Califronia(sic) car a plus?" You know, stats, charts, stuff that you subscribe to apparently.

That car is a rusted out POS. No guesswork required there. Besides, it's just another sorry unloved 912
Old 11-01-2017, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, I was not to clear there.
I was just amazed that "California car" was used in that advertisement like it would sway people.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Sure, it's not just you ?

The charts don't lie.
It could be - with the over-abundance of testosterone that I have seeping out of every pore, I might be creating a hot and humid weather pattern everywhere I go!
Old 11-01-2017, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
It could be - with the over-abundance of testosterone that I have seeping out of every pore, I might be creating a hot and humid weather pattern everywhere I go!
I say it's the hours and hours spent in that PPOT ****hole instead of spending quality time in this one !
Old 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
I say it's the hours and hours spent in that PPOT ****hole instead of spending quality time in this one !
No hours last week as I was banned from there (along with another guy) for excessive mud slinging.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Is that a euphemism ?????
Old 11-02-2017, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c2 View Post
Is that a euphemism ?????
Could be, depending on which "that" you are talking about.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 11-02-2017 at 08:45 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

My car was from California and was a joy to disassemble no rusty fasteners etc...
Old 11-02-2017, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

The VW bugs I had and restored in the U.K. aways seemed to rot most on the passenger side (probably from running in slush water at the edge of the road) while

The two Cali cars I've had here in the US (SWB 912 and '75 911) seem to have rust from rotted window seals - so inside to out.

The least said about the Minnesota SWB 912 which seemed to rot on everything is best left further undescribed.

The nice thing about Cali cars is the way they rot doesn't normally mean all the bolts are frozen (way fewer than the Minnesota equivalent anyway). But I'm guessing there are many exceptions to the rule!
Old 11-03-2017, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
Texas is a big state, so is California, saying it is humid in Texas is incorrect. Saying it is humid in some parts of Texas would be correct.
Like saying it does not snow in California, really, never heard of Donner pass? did the Donner's believe it did not snow in California also?
Big states with different conditions in both states.
I look at each car on it's own merits, I have more hope on west Texas and Southern California cars than Michigan or New York. But it really comes down to the particular car with me.

Maybe Adam should title the rusty mess he has with a California title to lesson the rust damage on the car he has pictured? It seems to work for some.
Iíll have to remember not to use exaggeration for effect in your threads.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Iíll have to remember not to use exaggeration for effect in your threads.
Sorry , I got a little carried away there.
I Guess this whole "California thing" is really a pet peeve of mine.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: