Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Is Califronia car a plus?

I see in ads a lot "California car" like it is a plus? I guess compared to a car from Michigan. But come really, Who does not know that California is a large costal state with most of it's population mass and cars next to that large body of salt water called the Pacific ocean.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372116777610

Last edited by ficke; 10-27-2017 at 07:37 AM..
Old 10-27-2017, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Offered for sale, from KURT TANNER MOTORCARS, is this very original California 912 Coupe. This car was recently purchased from a Porsche enthusiast from Northern California. The car still retains it's rare driver's manual with vinyl pouch, and service manual indicating that it was sold new in Beverly Hills on August 8, 1967 to a Los Angeles resident. It's believed original color is the EXTREMELY rare, special order only, Lido Gold (Paint Code #17656). Less than 1% of 912's were painted*in special order colors in 1966 production year (sold in 1967).*Interior trim is black, and it may have been originally fitted with a wood steering wheel and chrome wheels. Today the car is a very original example with one repaint in it's current medium brown. A return telephone call from Porsche of North America verified that this car still retains it's matching numbers engine.
The body on the car is very nice and straight. There is a medium dent on the LH front fender and some minor rust through near the the rear RH corner of the rear glass. Panel fit is exceptional with great fitting doors, hood and engine lid. The car's exterior body appears very solid overall. There is some surface rust on the hood. the front and rear valances look extremely nice and straight/accident-free.
The car's underside looks structurally very good. The passenger floor clearly needs replacement as well as some rust repair back up under both rear seats bottoms. This appears to have occurred while the car was in storage with some moisture holding in the floors... There is also some rust just starting around the front of the foot pedal area. The battery box and front suspension attachments look excellent and amazingly very solid ! The car's inner and outer rockers/longitudinal looks very good and solid.
The car's interior trim is original and pretty well preserved, including what looks to be the original seats, carpets, floor mats, and a very decent headliner and sun visors. Instruments and switchgear appear nice and would clean up easy.
The car's matching numbers engine is stuck from sitting. We haven't attempted to turn it. The engine still retains it's original Solex carburetors.
The car is supplied with a few extra items pictured, as well as it's rare service/driver's books.
Overall, a very pretty California 912 coupe with a matching numbers engine. This highly original car needs some easy sheetmetal replacement, and would make a fantastic car restored car finished in it's original livery.
Tell me why "California" is a good thing when buying a car?

Old 10-27-2017, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
Offered for sale, from KURT TANNER MOTORCARS, is this very original California 912 Coupe. This car was recently purchased from a Porsche enthusiast from Northern California. The car still retains it's rare driver's manual with vinyl pouch, and service manual indicating that it was sold new in Beverly Hills on August 8, 1967 to a Los Angeles resident. It's believed original color is the EXTREMELY rare, special order only, Lido Gold (Paint Code #17656). Less than 1% of 912's were painted*in special order colors in 1966 production year (sold in 1967).*Interior trim is black, and it may have been originally fitted with a wood steering wheel and chrome wheels. Today the car is a very original example with one repaint in it's current medium brown. A return telephone call from Porsche of North America verified that this car still retains it's matching numbers engine.
The body on the car is very nice and straight. There is a medium dent on the LH front fender and some minor rust through near the the rear RH corner of the rear glass. Panel fit is exceptional with great fitting doors, hood and engine lid. The car's exterior body appears very solid overall. There is some surface rust on the hood. the front and rear valances look extremely nice and straight/accident-free.
The car's underside looks structurally very good. The passenger floor clearly needs replacement as well as some rust repair back up under both rear seats bottoms. This appears to have occurred while the car was in storage with some moisture holding in the floors... There is also some rust just starting around the front of the foot pedal area. The battery box and front suspension attachments look excellent and amazingly very solid ! The car's inner and outer rockers/longitudinal looks very good and solid.
The car's interior trim is original and pretty well preserved, including what looks to be the original seats, carpets, floor mats, and a very decent headliner and sun visors. Instruments and switchgear appear nice and would clean up easy.
The car's matching numbers engine is stuck from sitting. We haven't attempted to turn it. The engine still retains it's original Solex carburetors.
The car is supplied with a few extra items pictured, as well as it's rare service/driver's books.
Overall, a very pretty California 912 coupe with a matching numbers engine. This highly original car needs some easy sheetmetal replacement, and would make a fantastic car restored car finished in it's original livery.
Tell me why "California" is a good thing when buying a car?

Maybe for the same reason it's Chicago Hope, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD...Chicago Sanitation,(well, not yet ) .Pronunciation? Akron or Pittsburgh just doesn't have that "sound"
Old 10-27-2017, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A few reasons ..

One of the biggest porsche markets in the world , so lots of them around .
A big car culture where people look after their cars .
A “good” climate for metal .

Agreed The ocean areas can wreck a car over time , but most have their cars well preserved in garages .

All in all , there’s more chance of getting an original car with no rust repairs , and all it will need (if anything) is a quick wire brush underneath and painting .
Old 10-27-2017, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c2 View Post
A few reasons ..

Agreed The ocean areas can wreck a car over time , but most have their cars well preserved in garages .

All in all , there’s more chance of getting an original car with no rust repairs , and all it will need (if anything) is a quick wire brush underneath and painting .
CCC...Chicago Car Club
Old 10-27-2017, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Well US cars from Cali always get the “imported from sunny California” when for sale here in Europe.

Last edited by christiandk; 10-27-2017 at 08:24 AM..
Old 10-27-2017, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
gearhead

California has no snow, no salt on the roads and very little rain. Sure, if you leave a car in a barn with no floors in Big Sur it's gonna rot. But that's not what has happened with most CA cars.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Dave W

Ian is correct...

I have lived in California my whole life.....California car culture produces people who take care of their cars;...... parts are available to repair things correctly;..... there are plenty of quality craftsman here;...... cars don't need to sit for the winter, etc... And yes, dry weather.

In addition, you really have to live super-close to the ocean, for years, to be impacted by salt-water. The salt does not travel far. 90+% of the state does not live within 2 miles of the ocean, so salt really isn't an issue in 90+% of the state.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
A few reasons ..

I agree on your first point Porsche are less expensive because they are more plentiful in California. But Price alone could say that.
And I agree on your second point, California is a big car culture. but I really do not see cars looked after better from there than else where.
As for your last point, I think I clearly pointed out how wrong you are, it is a crap shoot rust wise on California cars.
Better than Michigan worse than AZ.
"California" in a ad says 'average climate' if anything on rust.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Dave W

...I'm not sure I agree that pricing is better in California because cars are plentiful. There is also more competition to get good cars. I think the increase in demand compensates for the increase in supply.

It also matters what car, and what market you're comparing it to... Ie, I have a friend in Vegas with an 83 SC he wants me to sell for him, here in So-Cal, because he can get a better price for it here, than in Vegas. The demand for an air-cooled car without AC is pretty low in hot desert areas. It's all relative.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Well , I have a 56 beetle in the garage .
Spent some it’s life by the beach , and some of its life in the desert .

The desert caused more damage than the beach .......

Compared to cars I’ve restored in England , it’s a walk in the park
Old 10-27-2017, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
A few reasons ..

Ian is right on with these.

I lived blocks from the beach in San Diego for more than a decade.

People really do look after their cars. I remember going up surfing with my old college roommate in Santa Monica - he had a sweet pad. We were sitting there outside his house, and there in front of us sat the most cherry, most detailed, most spit shined Reliant K car - in brown - convertible no less like the one on Seinfeld where George thought he bought Jon Voight's car.

We looked at each other. We were amazed. It looked brand new and had factory paint. We were like, 'Man, people take their cars seriously here, not matter what it is.'

Just look at the famous Robert Frank photo of a car sitting in front of palm tress covered in a cocoon of a cover in the 1956.

Covered car – Long Beach, California, 1956 (c) Robert Frank

This says it all.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Well , I have a 56 beetle in the garage .
Spent some it’s life by the beach , and some of its life in the desert .

The desert caused more damage than the beach .......

Compared to cars I’ve restored in England , it’s a walk in the park
I kept my '55 Oval window bug in Ocean Beach, on the street, three blocks from the beach for 6 years. No problems. The only thing that ever suffered for me was the alloy - aluminum, trim, chrome, engine block. These got corroded by the Ocean. The steel did not.

In my house, my old Kirby vacuum with an alloy case got seriously hammered. It seemed to me that all polished alloy surfaces got hammered.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
As many responders offered their personal experiences, I will offer mine. One of the most rust free 911's I owned came from Hawaii, Kona side of the big island, well cared for garaged car. Well maybe on average cars are rusty in Hawaii and not as rusty in California. But we are not buying most cars and averages, we buy a car, one car at a time.
It also does not matter if there are more cars etc. in California, we are looking at a car, one car and buying one car at a time. I bought a very rare Series 1 Lotus Europa, absolutely rust free and very well cared, in El Paseo Texas. It was most likely the only one in Texas, I do not care, how many others are in the same state, I am buying one car, that car.
So this rusty car is in California, and has spent most of its life in California , it is rusty, there might be a lot less rusty cars in California at this moment in time but what does that have to do with this car for sale advertised as a California car? It is like some how the collective non rusty cars there over come the rust on this car just because it is from California too? and that is why mentioning it is California car is beneficial in the ad?
I would rather buy a less rusty car from say, Michigan than this rusty car from California, even if it is from California, it is still rusty.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
I see in ads a lot "California car" like it is a plus? I guess compared to a car from Michigan. But come really, Who does not know that California is a large costal state with most of it's population mass and cars next to that large body of salt water called the Pacific ocean.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372116777610
Plenty of rust in this one.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

So , buying a California car is bad because one side of it is ocean , but the best car you had was bought in Hawaii , where there is no coastline uh ??

What you say is true , and there are people in Europe that seek out Arizona cars for the lack of rust .

No big deal .

In fact , the last car I bought came from Arizona .

And as you say it’s that ONE particular car you are buying that counts .

But .... you’re more likely to find that car in southern California , and if you’re shipping it’s nice to have a port nearby ....

Last edited by ian c2; 10-27-2017 at 10:39 AM..
Old 10-27-2017, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph3. View Post
Plenty of rust in this one.
..Lipstick, pig ...

BHCC couldn't move it, so they made a few phone calls
Old 10-27-2017, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

HOWEVER, my 911 is from California, was in California for it's entire life - in the desert (Pomona) area - for 38 years - and had some bit of small rust in some very strange places, leading me to believe that the steel that Porsche bought from Eastern Bloc countries back in the day was suspect. So no matter what, be serious, and look before you leap.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

What a lot of people don't understand about Southern California is that it is actually a DESERT climate much like it's neighbors Baja and the Mojave that extends to the coast. It is extremely dry here.

I live 1.2 miles from the ocean and never had any kind of corrosion problems. It's nothing like the east coast or the gulf coast. There is zero humidity here.

It's quite simply the perfect climate for cars, and is much milder than Arizona so it's easy on paint and interiors.

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 10-27-2017, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

The only bad thing about socal is when it rains , it’s only enough to dirty the car .
And it only ever rains after I’ve just cleaned my cars

The dry heat can wreck leather and rubber , but I’d rather have that than major rust repairs ...
Old 10-27-2017, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: