Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
32.5K is the fair price for that C2.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Hey guys, decided to keep the car for a while longer! I didn't know mileage was such a factor for older Porsches, I guess my thoughts were that a machine that's run every day would probably run be healthier and more reliable and thus offset a bit of the price reduction due to the higher mileage. I'll just be looking for a second car to daily! Thanks for all the input!

Fixed the front bumper and gave the paint a shine in one day, then realized it wasn't worth selling!
Old 11-04-2017, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Good call. I would do the the same.

A few years ago I drove a local 1990 C2 manual coupe baltic blue with blue interior and factory sports seats. 226k miles and 2 or 3 minor hits. It was a UK model imported to Canada. What a great car to drive. You wouldn't know it had that kind of mileage. Unfortunately the mechanicals and body were completely neglected and it needed a lot of money dumped into it.

I remember the owner lowered his price to $12k USD firm otherwise was taking it back to the UK with him since he was moving back. I tried to get it for 10k USD but he wouldn't budge and I wasn't prepared to put a lot of money into a car that would never have much resale value.

Now I really wish I had that car back as a project and a driver!
Old 11-04-2017, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Just wait for Petrolicious to put up another video of The Growler and put it on BAT and you'll probably get 40k all day.

https://youtu.be/FZ6Bwr48ytg
Old 11-05-2017, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablet2 View Post
Hey guys, decided to keep the car for a while longer! I didn't know mileage was such a factor for older Porsches, I guess my thoughts were that a machine that's run every day would probably run be healthier and more reliable and thus offset a bit of the price reduction due to the higher mileage. I'll just be looking for a second car to daily! Thanks for all the input!

Fixed the front bumper and gave the paint a shine in one day, then realized it wasn't worth selling!

Good for you - the front bumper looks ok.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
When seeing a 300k mile car, I am compelled to bump this thesis.....from a depreciation stand point.
Is daily driving your low mileage 911 cheaper than also owning a new commuter car?

Last edited by sugarwood; 11-05-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Old 11-05-2017, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
When seeing a 300k mile car, I am compelled to bump this thesis.....from a depreciation stand point.
Is daily driving your low mileage 911 cheaper than also owning a new commuter car?
Depends on what daily driver you have and how low mls your 911 is.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
When you start worrying about the miles you're putting on your 911 and how much it's costing you in depreciation, it's time to get a new hobby (or car).
Old 11-05-2017, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
When you start worrying about the miles you're putting on your 911 and how much it's costing you in depreciation, it's time to get a new hobby (or car).
Well said.
There are many people like this.

Last edited by sugarwood; 11-05-2017 at 02:15 PM..
Old 11-05-2017, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablet2 View Post
Hey guys, decided to keep the car for a while longer! I didn't know mileage was such a factor for older Porsches, I guess my thoughts were that a machine that's run every day would probably run be healthier and more reliable and thus offset a bit of the price reduction due to the higher mileage. I'll just be looking for a second car to daily! Thanks for all the input
there you go! go drive it on a twisty road some, you'll really wanna keep it then. I love it when a thread ends well...
03 996TT(sold 10/16 stupid&fast)78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 11-05-2017, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploserous View Post
Just wait for Petrolicious to put up another video of The Growler and put it on BAT and you'll probably get 40k all day.

https://youtu.be/FZ6Bwr48ytg
Shortly after that was made Alex decided that the car wasn’t perfect enough and put $20k into making the gearbox more on par with the engine.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
i know this is a late to the party reply, but to the OP, I value your 300K 911 over most garage queens that don't do what they were built to do. What an amazing history of use, and something you can jump in a tear up a mountain road anytime you want without fretting that your paint is getting blown the wrong way.
My oldest son bought a 1986 3.2 with 311K miles on it in high school. I still regret not buying it from him when he sold it, one of the best sorted drivers you could imagine.
Drivers and owners are not alway synonymous. Don't be just the later.

Last edited by Brokentoy; 11-21-2017 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: left out a word
Old 11-21-2017, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: