Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
300k mile 964

Wow.. Good for him for driving it. Maybe a little high on price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Porsche-911-Carrera-2/182862861264?hash=item2a9379d3d0:g:hsAAAOSwwAdZ9ZE e&vxp=mtr
Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered User
Yeah, maybe a little high. I would not pay half. Does not look well cared for - and semi slick tites. Hmmmmm.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 237
Garage
Tires

300 plus thousand miles on track tires. Oh, yeah! Only driven on weekends, enduro track weekends. Appears way overpriced.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 222
But it's a California car!
Old 10-31-2017, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Wink Seller

Hey guys, thanks for looking at my ad. I'll try and stay positive through the speculation and address your concerns.

$32K was spent on the engine 7 years ago when it really needed it, since then the car was driven ~50k miles. (If you'd read the ad, you'd know the last part)

I took pictures of the worst things I could find because I'm an honest seller the front bumper and side mirrors are about the only things that look even close to that.

Most of the interior is almost brand new, as you and Omar can see in the video

The slicks honestly just make it a better ride, I was going to change them out once I bought the wheels with them on, but the car feels about 5 times more comfortable. (sounds crazy, I know)

I've replaced 2 things in the few 6k miles I've owned it (courtesy of pelican parts), a window switch and an alternator pulley.

The way I see it is that you could have a car that you could be afraid to drive because it decreases the "value" with every mile so it just sits in a garage, or, you could have something like this.

Thanks,
And special thanks to Omar, you've reminded me to post the ad on Pelican parts as well!

Last edited by ablet2; 10-31-2017 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Said 10 instead of 7 said 10k instead of 6
Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablet2 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for looking at my ad. I'll try and stay positive through the speculation and address your concerns.

$32K was spent on the engine 7 years ago when it really needed it, since then the car was driven ~50k miles. (If you'd read the ad, you'd know the last part)

I took pictures of the worst things I could find because I'm an honest seller the front bumper and side mirrors are about the only things that look even close to that.

Most of the interior is almost brand new, as you and Omar can see in the video

The slicks honestly just make it a better ride, I was going to change them out once I bought the wheels with them on, but the car feels about 5 times more comfortable. (sounds crazy, I know)

I've replaced 2 things in the few 10k miles I've owned it (courtesy of pelican parts), a window switch and an alternator pulley.

The way I see it is that you could have a car that you could be afraid to drive because it decreases the "value" with every mile so it just sits in a garage, or, you could have something like this.

Thanks,
And special thanks to Omar, you've reminded me to post the ad on Pelican parts as well!
I appreciate your honesty and welcome to the forum. I think your $45k asking price is way off the mark. If you really want some interest lower it into the 30s. The high mileage (awesome that the 911 was driven that much) is going to scare off allot people away right off the bat. I understand "shoot for the moon" but honestly you should be happy with anything in the lower $30k range for that car. Best of luck with your sale.


Here's a comp of recently sold 964 C4 (factor a 10% premium for C2). That was a enthusiast/well sorted car with lots of tasteful mods and pretty much a fresh engine rebuild.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/1009046-90-964-c4-white-blue-very-well-sorted-full-engine-rebuild-17-a.html
Old 10-31-2017, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Thank you for the well thought out response and advice. I did actually take a look at this car among others to come up with a number. I must admit, my original numbers were drastically off. I totally understand the part about scaring people away with the mileage, all I can really say to that is that it doesn't reflect how the car was driven.

I got the car last year from an older couple (doctors) who were neighbors of mine, they had the car garaged throughout its whole life, the car literally was a daily driver and extremely well cared for ($32k for just the drivetrain must mean something). They were planning on moving so they offered it to me. They probably sold it to me because of the reason that they didn't want all the negatives that come with selling a high mileage car (as I am having now). I'm not trying to tell you a story for fun , its just so you know how it was driven.

The car I'm selling seems relatively comparable to the one you'd posted.
I actually would like you to point out the key differences between that and mine (Honestly). It could give me more insight into what makes you value one car more than another.
Honestly, I may not have advertised mine with the details that it needs to get the right price. (ex. almost brand new interior)

Here's my ad on Rennlist: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/1032184-fs-1991-c2-964-gp-white.html

Please read the receipt for the rebuild, its actually very detailed.

I actually really appreciate the fact that you took the time to write your respectful response!

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2017, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
As per the abusive comments I've been getting, the car is being taken off all Porsche "enthusiast" websites. Thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablet2 View Post
Thank you for the well thought out response and advice. I did actually take a look at this car among others to come up with a number. I must admit, my original numbers were drastically off. I totally understand the part about scaring people away with the mileage, all I can really say to that is that it doesn't reflect how the car was driven.

I got the car last year from an older couple (doctors) who were neighbors of mine, they had the car garaged throughout its whole life, the car literally was a daily driver and extremely well cared for ($32k for just the drivetrain must mean something). They were planning on moving so they offered it to me. They probably sold it to me because of the reason that they didn't want all the negatives that come with selling a high mileage car (as I am having now). I'm not trying to tell you a story for fun , its just so you know how it was driven.

The car I'm selling seems relatively comparable to the one you'd posted.
I actually would like you to point out the key differences between that and mine (Honestly). It could give me more insight into what makes you value one car more than another.
Honestly, I may not have advertised mine with the details that it needs to get the right price. (ex. almost brand new interior)

Here's my ad on Rennlist: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/1032184-fs-1991-c2-964-gp-white.html

Please read the receipt for the rebuild, its actually very detailed.

I actually really appreciate the fact that you took the time to write your respectful response!

Thanks!
140k miles on the body and 7 years difference between engine rebuilds is easily a $10k difference in my opinion. I would get the car detailed and take as many pictures as possible if you want to get in the ballpark of your asking price.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
speednme1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,031
Kudos to the owner for driving her. $32k on the motor is a plus but the aesthetics should match the asking price. That front lip is hurting, either it should be fixed or replace the bumper. The listing on eBay also list several items that need attention...an exhaust leak and oil leak (to name a few) can be small issues or issues that will require a possible engine removal to repair....translation $$$

Somewhere in the low $30k's might be the magic number...or repair said items and relist.
__________________
Rey....86 930 "the Mistress"
Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Can't say that without naming names.

It wasn't me.
Just did
__________________
__________________________
'58 356A coupe, just a driver
'00 Boxster S
previous Pcars
'95 993 Polar Silver/Chestnut;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
Old 11-01-2017, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Elombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,014
I would offer $25K pending a few questions.

Contact me for a no hassle deal.
__________________
Erik L.
erik.lombard@gmail.com
84 lime green back date (LWB 911R with RS rear flares) hot rod - absolute riot to drive!
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
140k miles on the body and 7 years difference between engine rebuilds is easily a $10k difference in my opinion. I would get the car detailed and take as many pictures as possible if you want to get in the ballpark of your asking price.
It will be done, thanks for your insight. I will also see about the front bumper (fixing, not replacing). The price will come down more so for the next ad I'll be putting on Ebay with new and more pictures and a very detailed video.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2017, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 328
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elombard View Post
I would offer $25K pending a few questions.

Contact me for a no hassle deal.
This is a great offer, OP should consider IMO
Old 11-02-2017, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 2,379
Garage
$25K for a 91 C2 with an $32K engine rebuild? No way. If it's anything like described, that's one lowball deal.

I am intimately familiar with a lightened 88 that had it's engine rebuilt a while ago and that has similar mileage. Value be damned, that car would be a bargain at $30,000 and the owner wouldn't sell it at that price.

I think mid $30's is more than fair.
__________________
1978 SC Coupe, Gris Argent Metallic Silver
1974 2002 Tii Polaris Silver, Under construction
1972 911T
Old 11-02-2017, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 916
That is perfect car for BAT. Guarantee it fetches over $25k in its current state....Can’t recall the last time I’ve seen a C2 Coupe 5spd on there. Think you’ll get $30k at the least. Probably a little more. .

Last edited by specialtyoneinc; 11-03-2017 at 09:05 AM..
Old 11-02-2017, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,135
Garage



It looks like a well used but well kept California car.
Love the road rash on it !

I agree that $25K would be a steal.
__________________
I can't afford that.

Last edited by pmax; 11-02-2017 at 08:22 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Porsche Crest

Hey guys, decided to keep the car for a while longer! I didn't know mileage was such a factor for older Porsches, I guess my thoughts were that a machine that's run every day would probably run be healthier and more reliable and thus offset a bit of the price reduction due to the higher mileage. I'll just be looking for a second car to daily! Thanks for all the input!





Fixed the front bumper and gave the paint a shine in one day, then realized it wasn't worth selling!
Old 11-04-2017, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 62
Good call. I would do the the same.

A few years ago I drove a local 1990 C2 manual coupe baltic blue with blue interior and factory sports seats. 226k miles and 2 or 3 minor hits. It was a UK model imported to Canada. What a great car to drive. You wouldn't know it had that kind of mileage. Unfortunately the mechanicals and body were completely neglected and it needed a lot of money dumped into it.

I remember the owner lowered his price to $12k USD firm otherwise was taking it back to the UK with him since he was moving back. I tried to get it for 10k USD but he wouldn't budge and I wasn't prepared to put a lot of money into a car that would never have much resale value.

Now I really wish I had that car back as a project and a driver!
Old 11-04-2017, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:32 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2017 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.