Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Well the first indication is that’s it’s on Craigslist. That website should be shut down, it’s overrun with fraud. It’s literally hard to find something legit on that site. I wanted to see if there were short term rentals that were comparable to Airbnb on Craigslist, and the first 4 apartments I emailed on were all con artists. After a bit of digging realized that some had no affiliation at all to any of the properties, and could also do a drive by with google street view to see that the others weren’t even the properties pictured in the ad. This website should be totally shut down, and Craig should be held liable for running a website that does nothing but scam people. I bet there is more fraud committed on this site than legitimate transactions.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Adam,
You’re wasting your time. He’s doesn’t care. He’s quite content in his troll role around here.
Yeah, but you have to try and set people on the right path. We need useful information being exchanged, not dystopian platitudes about the dismal prospects about buying a Porsche.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 11-08-2017, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
Yeah, but you have to try and set people on the right path. We need useful information being exchanged, not dystopian platitudes about the dismal prospects about buying a Porsche.

---Adam
The guy has bought one 911 and sold none. Anyone who follows his advice on such things gets what they deserve. Like any advice on the internet one must assess the source. Anyone who spends 5 Minutes reviewing his post history will see him for what he is.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

If you want to buy from afar, ask for a phone call with Facetime so you can see the car. Then have someone local check it out.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

One thing I always do is verify land line phone numbers. I recently bought an early 911 sight unseen. I googled the sellers name, and his office name and number. I initiated calls to the office number, and tong his home phone that I was able to independently find.

I also had him take it to a shop for a ppi. To verify the existence of the car as much as its condition.

Also, although I knew it likely would be a sight unseen transaction, I structured it as an in person cash and carry deal from the first call. I noted no hesitation. It wasn't until the last second that I told him I wasn't coming in person.

Also, all the service records had his name and address in them, which matched the title.would have been hard to flawlessly Photoshop all those. The cashiers check was made to his name and sent to his home address.

But, I agree that the scam the OP describes is pretty clever. The biggest weakness is it involves doctored documents to have the victim write a check or wire to a name other than the real owner.

Last edited by McLovin; 11-08-2017 at 09:44 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Oh, I forgot the biggest thing.

I wouldn't have done this 10 years ago,but because of so much fraud these days and the amount of money involved, I insisted that the seller fed ex the original title to me,and I would wire the money within 24 hours of my receipt.

The theory being that he is still protected by having physical possession of the car.

That was a must to me. If he didn't agree I would have either gone out in person or walked away. He agreed. At that point we knew a lot about each other's background.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post

I wouldn't have done this 10 years ago,but because of so much fraud these days and the amount of money involved, I insisted that the seller fed ex the original title to me,and I would wire the money within 24 hours of my receipt.

The theory being that he is still protected by having physical possession of the car.

That was a must to me. If he didn't agree I would have either gone out in person or walked away. He agreed. At that point we knew a lot about each other's background.
That doesn't work when the cars are worth bucks. No seller in his right mind will mail you the title, possession or not, and I don't blame them. I've bought 6 cars sight unseen this year alone. I would never ask that.

A rotten person could still screw the guy out of his car just with the title document.

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 11-08-2017, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevan View Post
If you want to buy from afar, ask for a phone call with Facetime so you can see the car. Then have someone local check it out.
I advised my x client in france to do facetime so believe it or not, the scammer in this incident ended up setting a facetime between my client and the real seller, yes, it really happened, at the end of the call when they talked about price is when it was all uncovered! I guess the scammer figured he'd take his chances and hope they just do a walk around and then continue to communicate through email or the other scammer phone number..

Scammers could also go as far as going to the real sellers house and facetiming the victim, telling seller that they are showing car to a friend or a mechanic..its a doggy dog world out there lol
Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek307 View Post
..its a doggy dog world out there lol
Haha Tarek,

Looks like you decided to engage the forum after all that !

Welcome to the "doggy dog world".

Watch out for the hyperbole and weasel words though. I advise removing them or toning those down in your ad. Given your newbie status, you get a break for now.

Last edited by pmax; 11-08-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Haha Tarek,

Looks like you decided to engage the forum after all that !

Welcome to the "doggy dog world".

Watch out for the hyperbole though. I would advise toning those down in your ad.
Given your newbie status, you get a break.
yes pmax- i figured i'd do you a favor and give you the rare opportunity to get one of my cars lol..ps: hyperbole & weasel when its BS, but when i can walk the walk & back up what i'm saying its another story!

Last edited by Tarek307; 11-08-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post

Ha! We're opposites in the paranoid aisle. For me, I won't sell unless I go in to the bank with the buyer and stand next to them as the bank issues the check. As a seller, this does cramp the selling opportunities as evidenced with my thus far lack of success in selling my 964. Fortunately I'm in a position to be able to wait for the right buyer. Excuse me while I go refresh the tin foil on my hat.....
Old 11-08-2017, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: