Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Vintage Seats - where did you go?

Hope this is the right forum:
I need a little direction from the community please. I bought a set of seats in February of 2017. I paid half down which was $2267. Iím sure I can dispute with My CC Company and get this back butÖ I also sent him down my leather which was special order and cost more than my deposit (donít judge me, going for that Singer look)! What do I do about this? I have made every attempt under the sun to get in touch (phone calls, fax, text message, emails, smoke signals, and homing pigeons). I feel ridiculous contacting my attorney and at this point, donít even know if itís going to help. Is the guy still alive? I got a phone call back around June but thatís it. Thoughts?
Old 11-10-2017, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It's November. You got a call in June? What are you waiting for? Call your CC right away. You'll be lucky to get a refund.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
He did say 6 months so I was giving the benefit of the doubt and not be a pain in the ass... Pie on my face.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Great news! Michael called me directly after someone dropped word I was looking. Said he's been racing and would call me Tuesday. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks in advance for help from the community.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/913043-vintage-seats-out-of-business.html
Old 11-10-2017, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

So he somehow got word you were trying to get in touch with him from someone else, but every available method of which you could contact someone you had already tried and failed to get any response from him whatsoever. That doesn’t sound so legit to me. I’d be concerned that he’s just trying to appease you, tell you what you want to hear. I’d still be worried if I were you.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I called AND emailed AND reached out through his website every month for over a year. No response. Infuriating! It was so frustrating I literally hate this guy now.

Sincerely, best of luck to you.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I'm thinking I better take him up on the refund and material return :/
Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by genevaforeign View Post
Hope this is the right forum:
I need a little direction from the community please. I bought a set of seats in February of 2017. I paid half down which was $2267. I’m sure I can dispute with My CC Company and get this back but… I also sent him down my leather which was special order and cost more than my deposit (don’t judge me, going for that Singer look)! What do I do about this? I have made every attempt under the sun to get in touch (phone calls, fax, text message, emails, smoke signals, and homing pigeons). I feel ridiculous contacting my attorney and at this point, don’t even know if it’s going to help. Is the guy still alive? I got a phone call back around June but that’s it. Thoughts?
Let's see.

Ollie's , the distributor guy, the carb guy ... at least 6 months if all goes well
and now I guess your $10000 seat guy too.

And .... John Esposito's Porsche Repair was 1 year wait as of earlier this year.
I Need Paint Repair/Bodywork & I'm a Bit Terrified. SD/SoCal Recommendations Needed
Old 11-10-2017, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Let's see.

Ollie's , the distributor guy, the carb guy ... at least 6 months if all goes well
and now I guess your $10000 seat guy too.

And .... John Esposito's Porsche Repair was 1 year wait as of earlier this year.
I Need Paint Repair/Bodywork & I'm a Bit Terrified. SD/SoCal Recommendations Needed
enough to make you want to kill yourself and THAT is why I am so passionate against this crap its ruins the fun for everyone
Old 11-10-2017, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
enough to make you want to kill yourself and THAT is why I am so passionate against this crap its ruins the fun for everyone
There's a wheel guy too !

Things get delayed, folks get frustrated and tempers flare. Speaking of which, I wonder if Dan ever got his dizzy completed.

Last edited by pmax; 11-11-2017 at 08:05 PM..
Old 11-11-2017, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
Without a doubt a few in this dog pile are not old car restoration kind of guys.
Big difference between ordering parts on Pelican/Amazon and dealing with a small shop that does spectacular specialized restorations.

Are we just complaining about how long it takes to complete a restoration or restoration of certain parts?
Restorations are expensive and it can take longer now that the cars are up in value and today more cars (owners/flippers) are waiting their turn in line to be restored.

Are you choosing the best craftsmen to do your work and expecting Amazon Prime delivery?
If you don't have the time to restore original parts then buy new and make sure your new part is in stock and will be shipped immediately.

Small shops with 1 or 2 talented craftsmen are very busy so we all get in line and wait for our turn.
Even with the internet's speed it still takes the same amount of time to restore a car.
On average it takes 2 years to restore a car.

My turbo look after a 2 year restoration.
I survived, the car looks great and we did it all without slandering any shops.
If something takes more time or if your parts requires extra attention don't take it personally.

It's a car anything can be repaired.
This is all one sided customer venting, its a shame Pelican is now the internet go to forum for slamming small restoration shops.

It's understandable to vent about some delays.
But to attempt to ruin some small shops business because you did not get an immediate reply or your part took a little longer to complete is over kill.

Last edited by ted; 11-12-2017 at 05:34 AM..
Old 11-12-2017, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Ted, in all fairness I think most people on here can judge for themselves as to whether or not a complaint is frivolous. Most of the threads that make it here are not that. If they are, the peanut gallery will pick them apart.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
gearhead

Any complaint from Max is frivolous. He’s not even a potential customer for any of these businesses.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
likes to left foot brake.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearby View Post
Ted, in all fairness I think most people on here can judge for themselves as to whether or not a complaint is frivolous. Most of the threads that make it here are not that. If they are, the peanut gallery will pick them apart.
Agree and in all fairness I wonder if the chit slingers have done any business with the those they attack?
Perhaps for every negative they should offer a recommendation to shop that they like?

Too many Rambo type attacks from sideline players.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Has there been many or any attacks on a small business for taking too long? This post in particular is moreso complaining about zero communication during a long but expected period. I agree wholeheartedly that it takes a LONG time however if a business doesn’t think they are obligated to communicate with their customers during that period then that’s ludicrous, I don’t care how good you are at your craft as communication is an integral part of doing business
Old 11-12-2017, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The Vintage Porsche business is a classic supply and demand issue, demand is huge, while supply is limited. This leaves those in the business with a lot of leverage, they can decide who to do business with and who not to. They can also take their time and work at their own pace, because the business is forming a line out the door. They can also in the worse circumstances fall back on lax customer service, which is normally what pops up in the forums. Rarely is someone an out and out cheat, but there are common complaints of taking too long, bad or slow communication, etc. Basically there are too few restorers and parts people compared to the demand. In the 356 world the job of restorer has gotten a lot harder because what used to be "parts cars" are now restorable. But the rougher the car, the longer is takes. Guys who had cars restored in the 80s and it took 1-2 years are now seeing 5+ years. What they don't understand is the restoration of the 80s was not as comprehensive as it is now and the quality of the cars is much diminished from what it once was, meaning it takes longer and costs a lot more.
My advice to anyone doing a full restoration is this.
1. Avoid shipping your car out of town, try to find someone somewhat local to you. You have to be able to stop in regularly and stay on top of the restoration.
2. Have very clear goals in writing with your restorer, level of work, time and money, etc. If you don't want the steak dinner don't get stuck paying for it, and the reverse is true too, if you want the best make it known.
3. Be ready to pull the car if you don't like what's happening, even if you take a money hit.

Take all this from a guy who has bought many a car after a failed restoration, meaning I've heard many horror stories of how a restoration goes very bad. I've also had my own share of bad shops with my cars.

My last piece of advice is if you aren't ready to partner up on a restoration and stay on top of it, then you should go to the Porsche dealer, buy a new car and have it serviced by the dealer. If you do that you won't be disappointed with the car or the service.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 11-12-2017, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post

My last piece of advice is if you aren't ready to partner up on a restoration and stay on top of it, then you should go to the Porsche dealer, buy a new car and have it serviced by the dealer. If you do that you won't be disappointed with the car or the service.

---Adam
^^^^ best comment in all this back and fourth posted on this thread. It is a partnership, Owner of car needs to share their vision and desire of their car. Owner of shop and individuals doing the work need to be on the same page and clearly understand that vision . It's not just writing a check and expecting a miracle to happen. There are always surprises in any project- get involved and understand the process and the intricacies of your car. unfortunately the burden to assure clear communications does also fall on the owner of the car

On a side note - I am always amazed at someone new I meet at a C&C with a newly restored car and they know jack about the car.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
gearhead

Owners also need to not be a pest. I sometimes have Parts that are several month out before I can deliver them. If I tell someone it will be 10-12 weeks it’s really bothersome when 2 weeks later they ask about status. And then the next week. And the next week. It’s one thing to tend to your place in line but many people want you to hold their hand. Patience is a virtue lost on the Amazon prime generation.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I had a personal experience with a pair of seats that were getting redone. Had it not been that I outed them (the place is no longer in business) here on Pelican my seats would not have gotten done. Unfortunately one member here was not so lucky and lost his $1500 deposit to the crooks. I'm sorry but there is no reason for the lack of communication. If a restorer or builder tells me 2 months, then I expect them to be done in 2 months if not, then I expect some sort of communication explaining why it will take longer. COMMUNICATION is key!!!

Restorations take a long time but that is not an excuse for the lack of communication that many shops suffer from.

Personally I rather a shop tell me their longest wait time then tell me a time they know they can't meet just for the sake of obtaining a customer.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: