Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone know this '87 targa in St. Louis?

It is listed in a couple of places. Not a lot of pictures, but was hoping someone could tell me about it more. Don't know if seller has original steering wheel yet, but wanted to ask about it here before I called. Thanks for any help.

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/323049

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=467234202&zip=15215 &referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D15215%26startYe ar%3D1981%26sortBy%3DdistanceASC%26maxPrice%3D7000 0%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear% 3D1989%26modelCodeList%3D911%26makeCodeList%3DPOR% 26searchRadius%3D0%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&start Year=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=70000&firstRecord =0&endYear=1989&modelCodeList=911&makeCodeList=POR &searchRadius=0&makeCode1=POR&modelCode1=911
Old 12-03-2017, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Or have an opinion on it? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg1 View Post
Or have an opinion on it? Thanks for any help.
PM rawknees, hes our resident red targa expert.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
PM rawknees, hes our resident red targa expert.
Um, okay? Was hoping for a little more here, but I can keep reading to get a better feel. Ah, thanks for at least some reply.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

$45k ask for a 115k mile driver condition Targa is crazy money. Tags on the plates are from 2013. Aftermarket steering wheel, radio, air filter and pretty sure red piping seats wasn’t a option. Pass on that car IMHO.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Seconded for being crazy money. Without knowing more details, market value on that car is more between mid to high 30s.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

That's not crazy money. Crazy money would be in the $50s to $60s.

The car actually looks nice, but as usual I can't stand tails so that would have to go.

I'd say $5 to $7K less than asking is where it should be. I don't see many around, and even at that price.

I believe the list price on this very year Targa was actually $44K - so that's not bad considering it's 30 years into the future.

Like I said, I don't think the asking is crazy money. Get $5K off, sell the tail, and drive it.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Color matched seat piping was an original option
Old 12-07-2017, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The sheen on the targa bar looks very shinny, so that might be repainted. This could possibly be an original car. Maybe I will throw a PPI at it, but not sure who would do it in St. Louis and if the seller would be okay with it. I have done this once before on a Porsche 991 in Nashville, that I ended up not buying. It was a beautiful car, but I ended up going with an S5 Audi for my daily and now looking for an older Porsche for nice days.

Thanks for your opinions. I could always get a steering wheel and radio. Not sure what else? The tail might be original, so it would stay if it is. I don't like to mess around with original if I can help it.

I am all ears if anyone has more advice or info. Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 sc View Post
Color matched seat piping was an original option
You are the FIRST to point this out. Thank you. This might not be as bad as I think, but I need more to go on. Need a PPI person in St. Louis if I go further.

Seems this shop gets good ratings for a PPI http://www.reidvann.com . Or should I use a Porsche dealer?

Last edited by gg1; 12-07-2017 at 09:05 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hey gg I'd would not go with the Porsche dealership for a ppi just my experience , try and find an independent air cooled expert. Also I'm really close to Pitt if you have any other questions.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 sc View Post
Hey gg I'd would not go with the Porsche dealership for a ppi just my experience , try and find an independent air cooled expert. Also I'm really close to Pitt if you have any other questions.
Do you think this car is worth a look? It could be original other than the dumb steering wheel and radio, but I am not sure. There is a shop in St. Louis that has a pretty good reputation that I found. Reid Vann Luxury Imports | Luxury Vehicle Repair | St. Louis, MO
Old 12-07-2017, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If you really like the car, buy a plane ticket and go see it. Don’t do it over the phone. It’s not going anywhere with that asking price, plus it’s holiday season/winter. Take your time. If the car has clean PPI and you can get it in the mid $30s you will be in good shape. BTW a good PPI will run you $350 min. Probably more.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
If that shop gives it the OK and like what specialty said 37k max
Old 12-08-2017, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Give Jon Rhodes at www.ettuning.com/ a call. He used to run the shop at Reid Vann until he opened his own shop just outside of St. Louis. He's a good guy who will not steer you wrong.
My 911 is a diversion...this is the real money/time pit!
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2121463-e30-M342t-Evolution
Old 12-08-2017, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

So I had some discussion with the seller. Here is the response and there are more pictures via web here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/coksn2c7mip5odb/AAD62rcGDwnPQj1BXhRph4vsa?dl=0

This is a response from the seller:

As far as I know it has not been repainted. I have not seen any signs of that.
The targa bar has definitely been changed or repainted. Instead of the dull black matte it is a shinier black. It was like that when I purchased it.
I believe the tail is original from the factory says Porsche and I think it was listed on the COA but I will have to dig around to find that.
I do not know if the engine has been rebuilt. I bought it from a friend about 12 – 14 years ago and she had bought it from her friends. They never indicated the engine was rebuilt to me. It runs great and does not leak. Also it does not consume any noticeable oil in the 900 or so miles I drive it every year. I change the oil once per year in the spring.
I do not have the original steering wheel. It came with the momo steering wheel and frankly I think the original is ugly.
I do not have the original stereo. I had the aftermarket stereo taken out in 2008 and had a high end Pioneer system put in. It does have an IPhone connector in the glove box and a remote. It was professionally installed locally at a top end audio store HiFiFoFum.
I have the service book all stamped from for service and then I have files full of the receipts and records of things I have replaced or had done.
I have been under the car many times and I can tell you I have never seen any signs of rust. The underside is very clean as I do clean it occasionally with a brush and a small amount of simple green.
Rare color of Carmine Red was only available in 1987 and 2016 I believe. The interior was restored by Reid Vann here in Saint Louis. Dan Pechtel out of New Jersey restored the Targa top.
The car has the factory alarm system that works perfectly, speed control, powered driver seat, tool kit with the original unused disposable glove in it. All gauges and accessories work.
I have a custom car cover in red and black that I also keep covered with a Porsche car cover to keep it from getting dirty!
I did replace the alternator and voltage regulator along with the belts last year. I purchased these through Porsche of Atlanta who had them shipped from Germany.
I am selling my “baby” due to future plans of downsizing our house and we will most likely have only a 2 car garage in the future and as I get older I am doing less and less with the local PCA and car shows.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I think the car looks pretty good. It sounds well maintained also.

This kinda money, to me (maybe not you) would require an in person inspection plus a qualified PPI. Saying that, I think it's a mid to high 30's car, not a $40's car.

With 115K miles, you're looking at a car that's gonna have needs, perhaps sooner than later. Keep that in mind.

GL

Nick
Old 12-15-2017, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
I think the car looks pretty good. It sounds well maintained also.

This kinda money, to me (maybe not you) would require an in person inspection plus a qualified PPI. Saying that, I think it's a mid to high 30's car, not a $40's car.

With 115K miles, you're looking at a car that's gonna have needs, perhaps sooner than later. Keep that in mind.

GL

Nick
Thanks for the response. I would imagine I would need to pull the motor soon enough and at least rebuild the top end. I could possibly do a lot of it myself, with a friend, but not sure what the parts would be? Also, a bore and ring change might be wise. I wish I had more knowledge instead of just winging it completely. I am a fan of that color and if original, it would mean something to me. I have never owned a Targa, but for some reason I feel like I want one. I gravitate to it more than a cab. The 991 cabs are very nice, but these older models, I just feel like I want Targa or sunroof.

Thanks for any replies. Wish more people would chime in, but I guess this car is boring to most.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Tool Kit not complete
Looks like plastic holders for rear seat belts are missing
The steering wheel is not my taste
Headlights fogged.... ( just need cleaning and moisture absorbers replaced - DIY project)
If no records for top end rebuild - must plan on factoring that in.
Targas are + or - depending on what camp you are in. Appears Targas are slightly harder to sell than a coupe.

Love the red piping on the seats
if his words are truthful - sounds like they cared for the car
If he scrubbed the underside - like I do on my cars, it will be obvious when you go and look at it

Get a copy of the COA, I think he said he had it. As others have stated , go see it. A cheap SW ticket will allow you to see the underside of car, area of front trunk (without spare in place), rear seat area where rust tends to accumulate on a targa. Spend the $300 - $400 for PPI and make sure you include leakdown test.

I think $45 is high for this targa - well priced cars sell, sounds like this one has been available for a while.

Good luck

Last edited by speedster911; 12-15-2017 at 05:51 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
A few more things.

Targas have fans and detractors. I'm in the latter camp. Owned an 89 and just hated it. Loud, leaked wind, leaked water and what to do with the top after it's off? Fold it and put it in the trunk of course, but...I'll never own another Targa. Just a pain IMO.

Coupes bring the money. Targas next, Cabs last. FYI.

A coupe at this price would have a lot more attention. If you're stuck on a Targa, take a look. But I would chase a coupe if I were you.

These model years can feel heavy, but have the engine everybody lusts after. If you're willing to lighten it, mod it just a tad and de-originalize it a bit, you can end up with a car you'll love that'll be fast, cool and a really fun to drive.

But hey, that's just my opinion. Others will have theirs and that's ok. There's an ass for every seat.

GL

Nick
Old 12-15-2017, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: