Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
The one part of this that people always forget is there is a huge section of the stands of Porschephiles who don't have $50,000-75,000 to spend on a restored or nice driver 72 911. But they do have $15,000-20,000, lots of ambition, some free time, and a decent income to finance part of the restoration over time, while doing a lot of the work themselves, General Contracting as it were. They aren't keeping a tally of how much they are spending and they might end up right-side up or maybe upside down, but they get the car they want, and it's their sweat and blood in it, making it mean something. Just remember, not everyone is "investing", not everyone can afford a done car, and not everyone is keeping a spread-sheet of how much they are spending, but that doesn't make them any less of a Porsche guy.

---Adam
^^^this, in spades.
Sounds like me and my Tii.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
The one part of this that people always forget is there is a huge section of the stands of Porschephiles who don't have $50,000-75,000 to spend on a restored or nice driver 72 911. But they do have $15,000-20,000, lots of ambition, some free time, and a decent income to finance part of the restoration over time, while doing a lot of the work themselves, General Contracting as it were. They aren't keeping a tally of how much they are spending and they might end up right-side up or maybe upside down, but they get the car they want, and it's their sweat and blood in it, making it mean something. Just remember, not everyone is "investing", not everyone can afford a done car, and not everyone is keeping a spread-sheet of how much they are spending, but that doesn't make them any less of a Porsche guy.

---Adam
Absolutely, and this forum wouldn't exist if it weren't for that guy. But that guy is going to get out bid by Mr Deeppockets when a car goes up on BaT.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-11-2018, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Sorry for the rant but I'm getting really tired of every project that comes up everyone breaks out their calculators and starts talking about how upside the sucker who buys a car will be. I get in this argument with people a lot. The question usually is,
"What dumbass bought that car?"

I tell a story about a guy everyone laughed at.
It was the early 80s, a friend of mine was a tech at a dealership and he really wanted a 550 Spyder, but they were already climbing in price. He finally found one he could afford, it had been in a house fire so about half the body was damaged, and the 4-cam motor was already sold. He paid $10,000. Everyone laughed, he was such a sucker!!!! He has spent the last 30 years restoring the car, doing oil changes on 944's in his driveway all day Saturday to pay the body shop on Monday. Over time the body was restored, he collected all the missing parts, even found his original motor. So now the car is almost finished, the car is worth well into the millions. But he bought it because of his passion, not because it made $$$ sense. Oh, and the icing on the cake, the car is 0054, the license plate tells the rest.

Bottom line, judge not the project car.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 01-11-2018, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Sorry for the rant but I'm getting really tired of every project that comes up everyone breaks out their calculators and starts talking about how upside the sucker who buys a car will be. I get in this argument with people a lot. The question usually is,
"What dumbass bought that car?"
That's fine, but you kind of sound like one of those bitter people who whines about how the new influx of money the last few years has ruined the hobby. It's like the guy who busted his ass all his life to finally be able to afford to buy his dream car is somehow less of an enthusiast than your guy. Not everyone wants to spend every weekend working on their car. Some guys just want to buy a car, check the boxes on how they would have ordered it if they bought it new in 1972, and come back 2 years later to pick it up. Not everyone has skills or the desire to do that with their spare time. I get tired of the us vs them that exists around here. There's room for both kinds of people.

I was around when a 356C was a $15k driver. People used to talk about how it was crazy to rebuild the engine for $10k, and $4k on the gearbox, and then spend another $15k on paint, etc. etc. But if enough people put that much money into care and maintenance the whole market moves. I've been saying that for years. It does in fact become investing in the car. It just takes a decade or two to see the return. But the true enthusiast isn't doing it for the investment. He's doing it because as the caretaker of the vehicle he has an obligation to feed and water it. I never saw an issue with it personally, but you're right some people will always consider that stuff a waste of money. It's only a waste if you don't enjoy how you spent the money, and since it isn't anyone else's money what they think about it means nothing.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-11-2018, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
That's fine, but you kind of sound like one of those bitter people who whines about how the new influx of money the last few years has ruined the hobby.
Since you brought it up, I am sick of guys calling me looking for a car, but it must be "investment grade!"

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 01-11-2018, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

---Adam

Really great point Adam. Years ago I restored a wreck of a Jag XKE. I was not a wealthy man but had more time and skills than money. Slo Mo forward 17 years (yeah 17) and I ended up with a show condition XKE Roadster and a ton of memories working on it with my Dad. Some of us like to wrench.
E550
Old 01-11-2018, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:

---Adam
As current highest bidder, that sums me up perfectly.

I've been restoring bright orange bevel head Ducatis (mostly 73/74 450 Desmos and 73/74 750 Sports) for the past 5 years. Before that I built heaps of cafe racers and bobbers and worked on my old muscle cars. I'm super keen for a 911 project car (to accompany my mint 82 SC).

Doing each project yourself involves countless hours of blood, sweat and tears. But there is nothing in the world that feels better (or scarier) than that first ride / drive of the project you built with your own two hands!

Home modders and DIYers all the way!

Last edited by JonoF; 01-11-2018 at 04:52 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
^^ Nice, good luck to you.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
No question it can be satisfying to take on a major project and make something great. But you'd best be prepared for most of the reward to be emotional, not monetary.

2016 Chevy Volt parts fetcher- now at 444 MPG
Old 01-11-2018, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techweenie View Post
No question it can be satisfying to take on a major project and make something great. But you'd best be prepared for most of the reward to be emotional, not monetary.

The world can surprise you sometimes when someone else shares your vision. Several years ago I decided to build a Speedster. A friend sold me an A Coupe that ironically had already been taken down this road, albeit tragically. I paid $1500 for the car, worked on it for 4-5 years when I found or made time. All in I had about $10,000 in the car, not counting my labor. The final push was to get it ready for the 356 Registry East Coast Holiday. The car made it, but wasn't finished, everything was bolted up, but I ran out of time to get it running and driving, so it was rolled onto the field. A guy in Australia saw pics of the car and asked me "how much?" I said it wasn't for sale, I wanted to finish it and enjoy it. He asked again, "how much?" I came up with a figure I was sure would scare him away, $50,000, crazy money for a non-running cut down coupe. He asked where to wire the money.
The world can surprise you, build your dream, someone else might want to share it.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 01-11-2018, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Functionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoF View Post
As current highest bidder, that sums me up perfectly.

I've been restoring bright orange bevel head Ducatis (mostly 73/74 450 Desmos and 73/74 750 Sports) for the past 5 years. Before that I built heaps of cafe racers and bobbers and worked on my old muscle cars. I'm super keen for a 911 project car (to accompany my mint 82 SC).

Doing each project yourself involves countless hours of blood, sweat and tears. But there is nothing in the world that feels better (or scarier) than that first ride / drive of the project you built with your own two hands!

Home modders and DIYers all the way!
Iím diggin the cut of your jib! Hope you get it....
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:

---Adam
I very much appreciated your statement, thank you.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Turbonut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtanium-inc View Post
the one part of this that people always forget is there is a huge section of the stands of porschephiles who don't have $50,000-75,000 to spend on a restored or nice driver 72 911. But they do have $15,000-20,000, lots of ambition, some free time, and a decent income to finance part of the restoration over time, while doing a lot of the work themselves, general contracting as it were. They aren't keeping a tally of how much they are spending and they might end up right-side up or maybe upside down, but they get the car they want, and it's their sweat and blood in it, making it mean something. Just remember, not everyone is "investing", not everyone can afford a done car, and not everyone is keeping a spread-sheet of how much they are spending, but that doesn't make them any less of a porsche guy.

---adam

+100.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

People buy projects for different reasons. Years ago I bought them because I couldn't afford to buy a finished car. Many then realize it will take tons of hours and $$$ and bail or never finish them. Some realize the end product will not be good enough due to skills or budget. I've finished many but bailed on a few. Now I just want another project to work on for fun. I'm fortunate enough to already have a couple of Porches to drive. Unfortunately the demand and prices for project cars have made the quest very difficult.
previous Pcars
'95 993 Polar Silver/Chestnut;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
Old 01-12-2018, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Hopefully 72's are the magic bullet, I guess this BAT Auction will tell us. Came in on the last truckload.
---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 01-12-2018, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

$18K......
regards,
al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669,
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 01-12-2018, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Current bid: $8,000 ends in: 3 days
Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Nothing will happen until Monday. There are almost 500 watchers. There has to be several dreamers in that group.

I'll give it a bump just for fun...
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Hopefully 72's are the magic bullet, I guess this BAT Auction will tell us. Came in on the last truckload.
---Adam

Hopefully that thing came with a few Parts because it's missing quite a few. I do see a hole in the passenger fender for an antenna which means it came with the factory option electric antenna. That will be tough to find
Old 01-12-2018, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearby View Post
Hopefully that thing came with a few Parts because it's missing quite a few. I do see a hole in the passenger fender for an antenna which means it came with the factory option electric antenna. That will be tough to find
Oh, don't worry, we have a whole warehouse plus multiple tractor trailers full of parts. We have a whole building that is nothing but wheels, we call it the Wheelhouse.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 01-12-2018, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: