Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Best wishes on the sale, that 85mph speedo tells me a lot about the originality of the car. It’s a very presevered and well kept 911.

Last edited by shlobeck; 01-12-2018 at 11:24 AM..
Old 01-12-2018, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Gina- before you sell the car- is there anyone in your family that may have interest in the car? Once it's gone it's gone. This looks to be a very nice example, and if it were me, I'd want someone to get first crack at the car that may have some attachment to the car.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Matt, my husband wouldn't let a shop work on it. So all records are all receipts of everything he did. Only getting new tires and smog is what he had done.
He has that big manual, a lot of Porche books and magazines.

When he was sick I had it checked out, the Porsche mechanic rebuilt front brake calipers, flushed brake system. Front caliper rebuild. This is what the receipt says.

Since my husband passed, I have been driving it to temp every week, checking the oil (when car is running). I haven't had it in the shop since what I mentioned, that was Jan 2016.

One time I left something on, drained the battery, was able to charge it back up myself with no problem.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina P View Post
Matt, my husband wouldn't let a shop work on it.
Exactly the type of individual I would want to buy a Porsche from.

Assuming you feel like dealing with the auction process I think this brings all the money on BAT and would result in a potential bidding war between a few parties keen on this particular color. The older flat 70s/80s colors are really trending at the moment and I can see this one potentially climbing in to the $50k+ territory especially with that beautifully well kept interior.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Whoa. Even upside down that car looks great. Are those sport seats? And the color combo is unique!

Your husband had to have some local buddies and Porsche club friends and/or mechanics that could help you with selling the car. Maybe give them a ring. At the least contact the local Porsche Club chapter and get some advice as to who to call. I'll bet one of those guys will want it too.

You're going to do well with this car. Do a little homework, work with some local guys or friends you trust and the car will end up selling at a fair to you price to the right person.

Meanwhile, be careful with whom you get Private Messages from here on Pelican. It's the internet.

Good luck!

Nick
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 01-12-2018, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Thanks everyone, you have all been so helpful.

The problem I have is letting it go. I've been trying to decide for quite awhile now how I will feel once it's gone. It's really comforting having the car in the garage, seeing it every day.

But then, I want someone who will enjoy itlike my husband did. It's hard for me to drive as I am small and need pillows and a back rest.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Yes there is someone to help, the problem is I have a hard time asking anyone for help.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
gearhead

Help with value of 88 911 Carrera 237k miles

Here’s a story for you, Gina
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-12-2018, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Gina- if you don't need to sell the car then don't sell it. It's hard letting go of things like this-keep her in your garage until you are sure you have found someone that will give it the care and attention she deserves. The value of the car isn't going to drop anytime soon so don't rush things. If you are going to sell it, I'd wait til springtime hits most of the USA. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina P View Post
Yes there is someone to help, the problem is I have a hard time asking anyone for help.
It's a phone call Gina and I'm sure people would be happy to help you. Once you decide to sell, just call the person who can help. You would feel much better if the car was local too, after the sale.

And BTW, you can change your mind about selling up until the money changes hands. Every passionate car owner/buyer would understand.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 01-12-2018, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Drive the car over to your son's or daughter's house hand them the keys say dad loved the car very much it's yours. If not find a special relative, what a great gift this will be for someone. Selling a car that your husband cherished for so long may put some money in your pocket but kills the legacy of the car.
1974 911 Targa
Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

+1
Old 01-12-2018, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Is that you, Aunt Gina?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Toast54---- that's funny
Old 01-12-2018, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epinfren View Post
Exactly the type of individual I would want to buy a Porsche from.

Assuming you feel like dealing with the auction process I think this brings all the money on BAT and would result in a potential bidding war between a few parties keen on this particular color. The older flat 70s/80s colors are really trending at the moment and I can see this one potentially climbing in to the $50k+ territory especially with that beautifully well kept interior.
Come on man. We are talking about a 82 SC with 140k on the clock, no verification of numbers matching & original paint yet and lots of service done by the owner. A 89 Carrera Coupe in the same condition wouldn't fetch 50k.

Last edited by specialtyoneinc; 01-12-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like it has 7Ē/8Ē Fuchs too. Iíd put this car in the mid $40s all day.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Come on man. We are talking about a 82 SC with 140k on the clock, no verification of numbers matching & original paint yet and lots of service done by the owner. A 89 Carrera Coupe in the same condition wouldn't fetch 50k.
At the rate people are throwing out these ridiculous values this car will be a $60,000 SC within a couple of days lol.

Speaking of 89 coupe, just a couple of months ago i had a 1988 coupe commemorative edition coupe 170k miles, top end new clutch all kinds of work done with documentation & records, very clean car no accident and i sold it for $34,500. Last 2 cars i had listed here 88 Targa listed for $32.9 sold for $32.5 a 78SC Targa also (but had iroc bumpers) only 109k miles listed for $23.9 sold $23.9.according to the values being thrown around here i'm selling my cars too cheap and maybe thats why they sell within a couple of days.

OP, Take what you hear here with a grain of salt, list the car on BAT with a -$32k-$35k reserve and thats if its in mint condition, that is the best route to go & will garner you the best value, i'm sure someone could help you list & sell it there!

Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek307 View Post
At the rate people are throwing out these ridiculous values this car will be a $60,000 SC within a couple of days lol.

Speaking of 89 coupe, just a couple of months ago i had a 1988 coupe commemorative edition coupe 170k miles, top end new clutch all kinds of work done with documentation & records, very clean car no accident and i sold it for $34,500. Last 2 cars i had listed here 88 Targa listed for $32.9 sold for $32.5 a 78SC Targa also (but had iroc bumpers) only 109k miles listed for $23.9 sold $23.9.according to the values being thrown around here i'm selling my cars too cheap and maybe thats why they sell within a couple of days.

OP, Take what you hear here with a grain of salt, list the car on BAT with a $28-$32k reserve and thats if its in mint condition, that is the best route to go & will garner you the best value, i'm sure someone could help you list & sell it there!
Each of your cars had some variable that didnít allow it to fetch full price.

This car seems to check all the boxes and then some. Paint condition, color combination, originality, and factory options can push a well sorted SC $10-15k above a dime a dozen example.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Targa0912 View Post
Each of your cars had some variable that didnít allow it to fetch full price.

This car seems to check all the boxes and then some. Paint condition, color combination, originality, and factory options can push a well sorted SC $10-15k above a dime a dozen example.
my cars mentioned one was a commemorative edition coupe with records and top end done and your'e telling me thats a dime a dozen car? Lets be realistic and not mislead the OP...maybe you've bought & sold 25 air cooled cars in the past 6 months also & have a little more knowledge of the market than i do.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek307 View Post
my cars mentioned one was a commemorative edition coupe with records and top end done and your'e telling me thats a dime a dozen car? Lets be realistic and not mislead the OP...maybe you've bought & sold 25 air cooled cars in the past 6 months also & have a little more knowledge of the market than i do.
And here's where the music plays and the OP asks Tarek because he's obviously experienced in sales to take the car on consignment or better yet he purchases it at a 'realistic price' and ...

OP Gina P. Sorry for your loss, another original gone.

His car, your car, looks great. You found this site, found the right sub forum, so you don't strike me someone who is going to get fleeced by some random lowballer. I can tell from the pics that the car has been looked after, and honestly if i was looking, it checks all the boxes for me. Enthusiast owned, great color with good contrasting interior.
What's it worth ? by now you have a good range. If you price it to high, it might sit, but so what, and TBH the reality is it won't sit for long. If it needs head studs thats somewhere between $1-6,000 based on who is doing it, owner or shop mechanic.
Depending on how far your husband went in terms of what we call a top end I think $36k is a good starting point, once you put it up for sale you will have to deal with what's called a PPI and thats where you will have buyers saying "x doesn't work or this needs changing'. I'll bet anything that comes up is minor bar the head studs. Then you have to make a decision on whether you lower the price or not.
The fact that you drive it is awesome and I wish you could keep it so it stays in our community of people who love these cars. But that said i understand why that's not practical. I think someone mentioned Bill 'Techweenie' earlier. He's a good guy, and I would reach out to him via PM. You can search for a members name in the main search function. I'd PM him, he won't rip you off or over promise. Sure he's in business but IMO his help is worth the small fee.

Best of luck with it.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: