Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
gearhead

Jebus Tarek, you are not being helpful.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-13-2018, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Your cars no where compete with Ginas car- you are not being helpful.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Gina-

I'm sorry about the loss of your husband, I can only imagine how hard that must be. As a lifelong Porsche fanatic like your husband I can envision that my wife might gain some comfort seeing one of my prides and joys in the garage if something were to happen to me.

A few thoughts:

Take Your Time- the good news is that the SC's value isn't going to have a material negative change in value in the foreseeable future and could possibly be worth more. So if it brings you some emotional comfort seeing the car, then keep it as long as its helpful to you. The cost for a little bit of maintenance, insurance and licensing is nominal vs. what it provides you. When the time feels right you will know it.

Sentimental Value/Family- Like others have mentioned, if you can afford to (take care of yourself first!) consider if there is anyone in your husbands family, close circle of friends, etc that shared his common love for the car. If you think it might mean the world to them, that might be a good way to go, either as an outright gift or potentially a sale at a mutually agreeable number. Again like above, this should feel right, if nobody comes easily to mind this probably isn't the right path.

Value of the Car- Lots of numbers are being volleyed around, I won't enter that fray except to say you need a well respected expert who will evaluate the car IN PERSON to really assess what you have. Ideally this expert should be someone who has no financial interest in the transaction (i.e. not buying the car, taking a fee to help you sell, etc). This person should feel like a teacher; when they come out they should take the time to help you know more about the car, the market and its value and not feel like they have an agenda. The current market for these cars is excellent but it is very nuanced, meaning subtle items such as presence of original paint, documentation, color (BTW I personally LOVE Bamboo Beige), etc can make radical changes in a cars value. There are several people on this forum who could fit this description, but sadly there are also some who wouldn't, just be careful.

For what its worth I have a soft spot for widows, as I would want others to treat my wife kindly and with compassion. I am lifelong Porsche fanatic who enjoys working on my own air-cooled cars, preparing and showing them. Many years ago I took that passion and made my avocation my life work. I buy and sell these cars, speak on the subject of their value for both the PCA and Hagerty and write for Panorama (the national magazine for the Porsche Club of America).

With that in mind, I will make an offer of assistance, feel free to take it or not. Here is my offer:

-I will come see the car in person (100% on my dime), inspect it thoroughly, extensively photograph the car and walk you thru everything I see. Together we can agree on anything I think it might need to maximize it's market value.

- I will help you list the car on Bring a Trailer (BAT); help you with ad copy, photographs and be available to help answer questions (the key to maximizing sale price on BAT is: presenting the car as completely and honestly as possible, lots of quality photos/video and being an engaged, knowledgeable seller who can interact with grace/humor to the various commentators).

I think BAT is a great venue for establishing its value as it's a true marketplace. The value of any item is defined as what a buyer is willing to pay for it. If you do the above, the market will dictate it's value, therefore you will know you received a fair value for the car.

I would do all the above for no fee or renumeration to me of any kind. I would handle all of it publicly so everyone in the community would know that is how this deal happened, nothing behind the scenes.

I make this offer simply because I would want another in the Porsche community to do it for my wife and I also sense some people with less than honorable intentions might not treat you as well. My experience over the years has been the Porsche world is full of some amazing and wonderful people, as the values of these cars have climbed it occasionally feels a little bit less that way, but I'm still impressed at the knowledge, kindness and compassion of so many. Sometimes we should return the favor!

If you are interested feel free to send me a message. Again, do what feels right for you.

Nathan
Old 01-13-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Thank you Nathan for taking the time to post this informative post, kind words and generous offer,
Old 01-13-2018, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

How often do you guys think I need to drive it?
Old 01-13-2018, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina P View Post
How often do you guys think I need to drive it?
A few times a month is fine.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-13-2018, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

You mentioned checking the oil when the engine is running..am I misunderstanding that?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
A few times a month is fine.
Thanks Matt, I'll I will do that.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Matt, I'll I will do that.
Make one of those drives to a Cars and Coffee get together. You'll meet some great new people.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 01-13-2018, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast54 View Post
You mentioned checking the oil when the engine is running..am I misunderstanding that?
At first I was checking the engine when it was cold and not warmed up. The oil stick would show no oil.

I then found out the car needed to be running to check oil.

So I figured if I drove it, got it warmed up to temp, kept it running when I got home it would give me s better idea how much oil there was.

Opinion?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Quote:
At first I was checking the engine when it was cold and not warmed up. The oil stick would show no oil.

I then found out the car needed to be running to check oil.

So I figured if I drove it, got it warmed up to temp, kept it running when I got home it would give me s better idea how much oil there was.

Opinion?
Exactly right, make sure its on level ground.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Gina, I just sold my Porsche to a guy in Germany on BaT. I have an interest in your car should you decide to sell it. Please let me know. I would love to look at the car. Also, I would also suggest you look at Bring a Trailer auctions. You can list your car for $99. with a reserve to protect yourself. It's a great way to see what the market place thinks your car is worth. It gets world wide exposure
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Are there other liquids I should be checking?
I could learn and do it myself, or take it in to get it checked out.

There are all kinds of liquids in the cabinet, not sure if they expire.

Maybe the tire pressure checked out too?
I have a pressure gauge but I don't know how accurate it is.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim deCordova View Post
Gina, I just sold my Porsche to a guy in Germany on BaT. I have an interest in your car should you decide to sell it. Please let me know. I would love to look at the car. Also, I would also suggest you look at Bring a Trailer auctions. You can list your car for $99. with a reserve to protect yourself. It's a great way to see what the market place thinks your car is worth. It gets world wide exposure
Thank you Jim,
Yes, I am familiar with bring a trailer, thanks
Old 01-13-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim deCordova View Post
Are people in Germany looking them?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess since you sold yours to someone in Germany, then they are looking for them.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I have this Porshe in subject title.
My husband passed away 1 1/2 years ago.
I am thinking of selling this if there is interest.

It has 139,770 miles. It just passed CA
smog no problem.

I have kept it running for the past 1 1/2
years.

I have all records and receipts, and pictures.
I live in the Santa Cruz area of California.
Thank you for any advice.
Gina
Looks like you're in good hands here w/ all the helpful folks in the community.
cvlcporsche/Nathan's offer is a great example. Your husband has taken care of the car very well.

But Gina, "Porsche" not Porshe. Carry on

Last edited by pmax; 01-13-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Old 01-13-2018, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Yes, back in period the US got the vast majority of the inventory. Now that they are old they want them back.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-13-2018, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlcporsche View Post
Gina-

I'm sorry about the loss of your husband, I can only imagine how hard that must be. As a lifelong Porsche fanatic like your husband I can envision that my wife might gain some comfort seeing one of my prides and joys in the garage if something were to happen to me.

A few thoughts:

Take Your Time- the good news is that the SC's value isn't going to have a material negative change in value in the foreseeable future and could possibly be worth more. So if it brings you some emotional comfort seeing the car, then keep it as long as its helpful to you. The cost for a little bit of maintenance, insurance and licensing is nominal vs. what it provides you. When the time feels right you will know it.

Sentimental Value/Family- Like others have mentioned, if you can afford to (take care of yourself first!) consider if there is anyone in your husbands family, close circle of friends, etc that shared his common love for the car. If you think it might mean the world to them, that might be a good way to go, either as an outright gift or potentially a sale at a mutually agreeable number. Again like above, this should feel right, if nobody comes easily to mind this probably isn't the right path.

Value of the Car- Lots of numbers are being volleyed around, I won't enter that fray except to say you need a well respected expert who will evaluate the car IN PERSON to really assess what you have. Ideally this expert should be someone who has no financial interest in the transaction (i.e. not buying the car, taking a fee to help you sell, etc). This person should feel like a teacher; when they come out they should take the time to help you know more about the car, the market and its value and not feel like they have an agenda. The current market for these cars is excellent but it is very nuanced, meaning subtle items such as presence of original paint, documentation, color (BTW I personally LOVE Bamboo Beige), etc can make radical changes in a cars value. There are several people on this forum who could fit this description, but sadly there are also some who wouldn't, just be careful.

For what its worth I have a soft spot for widows, as I would want others to treat my wife kindly and with compassion. I am lifelong Porsche fanatic who enjoys working on my own air-cooled cars, preparing and showing them. Many years ago I took that passion and made my avocation my life work. I buy and sell these cars, speak on the subject of their value for both the PCA and Hagerty and write for Panorama (the national magazine for the Porsche Club of America).

With that in mind, I will make an offer of assistance, feel free to take it or not. Here is my offer:

-I will come see the car in person (100% on my dime), inspect it thoroughly, extensively photograph the car and walk you thru everything I see. Together we can agree on anything I think it might need to maximize it's market value.

- I will help you list the car on Bring a Trailer (BAT); help you with ad copy, photographs and be available to help answer questions (the key to maximizing sale price on BAT is: presenting the car as completely and honestly as possible, lots of quality photos/video and being an engaged, knowledgeable seller who can interact with grace/humor to the various commentators).

I think BAT is a great venue for establishing its value as it's a true marketplace. The value of any item is defined as what a buyer is willing to pay for it. If you do the above, the market will dictate it's value, therefore you will know you received a fair value for the car.

I would do all the above for no fee or renumeration to me of any kind. I would handle all of it publicly so everyone in the community would know that is how this deal happened, nothing behind the scenes.

I make this offer simply because I would want another in the Porsche community to do it for my wife and I also sense some people with less than honorable intentions might not treat you as well. My experience over the years has been the Porsche world is full of some amazing and wonderful people, as the values of these cars have climbed it occasionally feels a little bit less that way, but I'm still impressed at the knowledge, kindness and compassion of so many. Sometimes we should return the favor!

If you are interested feel free to send me a message. Again, do what feels right for you.

Nathan
Great post and very nice gesture!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Dont sell it - iit means too much for you - f you do take no less than 40K. That color combo is +25% over the more conventional ones.

I guess the car would go for around 50K euros here in Europe.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: