Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbo Powered Snow Blower
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Rocklin, CA .... Galveston, TX
Posts: 2,553
Garage
1984 930 RUF Conversion on BAT

This one will be interesting to watch. $170k no sale in Monterey. Now on BAT. He should have taken the money in August.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-porsche-ruf-btr-930/

__________________
Derrick
Old 02-01-2018, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
He should have taken the money in August.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-porsche-ruf-btr-930/

Yes he should have.

Problem is, does a RUF conversion come down to the bolting on of a bunch of aftermarket parts (very good aftermarket parts in this case)?

I do not see the value of this 930 much beyond any 1984 - I actually may see it as less of a value.

The debate goes on. As I have vigorously defended in the past, a real genuine RUF VIN on a Yellowbird is worth way more in my mind that a Yellowbird conversion. To some people, it means nothing. But to me a RUF VIN is worth the premium.

The guy is a dreamer. Is it worth more than a Kremer converted 930? I don't think so.

At the end of the day an original 930 gets the money. No matter who bolted on a bunch of parts or not.

With a myriad very nice 930s coming out of the woodwork almost daily I would peg this thing at $70-$80K
Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 481
Of course a RUF vin’ed Car will always be premium to a RUF conversion car. And a documented RUF conversion done by RUF in Germany is more valuable than a RUF conversion done by others. This RUF doesn’t definitively state who did the conversion, but it can be inferred that RUF did NOT do it. The letter of authenticity does NOT make any mention of RUF Germany doing the work, only confirming that the parts on the car are RUF. IF RUF converted this car in house it would say so in their letter of authenticity. Furthermore, it isn’t a complete BTR conversion since it doesn’t have the RUF brakes on it, so that affects the price as well.

With all of that said, though, this car is worth far more than 70-80k in my opinion. It’s got nearly all of the RUF BTR goodies on it regardless of who installed them, and on a low mileage example in a very desirable color. It’s a six figure car all day long in this market.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
At the end of the day an original 930 gets the money. No matter who bolted on a bunch of parts or not.

With a myriad very nice 930s coming out of the woodwork almost daily I would peg this thing at $70-$80K
I think you'll be proven wrong. There's a place for bone-stock 930s, but a carefully modified car with the right parts have--and will continue to--sell for equal money, if not more.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Yes he should have.

Problem is, does a RUF conversion come down to the bolting on of a bunch of aftermarket parts (very good aftermarket parts in this case)?

I do not see the value of this 930 much beyond any 1984 - I actually may see it as less of a value.

The debate goes on. As I have vigorously defended in the past, a real genuine RUF VIN on a Yellowbird is worth way more in my mind that a Yellowbird conversion. To some people, it means nothing. But to me a RUF VIN is worth the premium.

The guy is a dreamer. Is it worth more than a Kremer converted 930? I don't think so.

At the end of the day an original 930 gets the money. No matter who bolted on a bunch of parts or not.

With a myriad very nice 930s coming out of the woodwork almost daily I would peg this thing at $70-$80K
Cars already at $109k. You asking for 930XXXX to lecture us on value.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 14,287
That 5spd converted 930 box is worth $20k just by itself.

I think it’s gonna break $150k.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-01-2018, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
/ˈpɔrʃə/ PORSH-ə Fan
 
LUFTKUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 371
I think it makes a value difference when and where the conversion took place. This is an '84 so it's obviously a ROW 930, but was the conversion done recently or back in the day? I want to know when it was imported and if they have proof it was imported in '84 then that is a big plus in my book. Imported in '84 doesn't mean upgraded in '84, but if this car went through the US Ruf dealer at the time, Exclusive Motorcars in Montclair, NJ, then that is also a big plus.

The RUF letter says it has "different camshafts". If you can figure out what the actual camshaft is that may be a clue to when the engine was done. There was probably limited cam choices in the 80s to choose from over stock.

Besides all that, the car certainly looks the business. Great color although I'm biased as I also own an '84 Slate Blue.
__________________
1984 ROW Carrera Sunroof Coupe Schieferblau
1982 US SC Targa Moosgrun
1977 US 911S Sunroof Coupe - SOLD
Old 02-01-2018, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 170
Being sold by the nightmare that is Real Muscle. I wouldn't touch any of their cars.

I posted a comment on BAT trying to warn people and encourage them to perform a thorough PPI but it was censored and never posted by admin. That site is such a joke.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 14,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUFTKUL View Post
I think it makes a value difference when and where the conversion took place. This is an '84 so it's obviously a ROW 930, but was the conversion done recently or back in the day? I want to know when it was imported and if they have proof it was imported in '84 then that is a big plus in my book. Imported in '84 doesn't mean upgraded in '84, but if this car went through the US Ruf dealer at the time, Exclusive Motorcars in Montclair, NJ, then that is also a big plus.

The RUF letter says it has "different camshafts". If you can figure out what the actual camshaft is that may be a clue to when the engine was done. There was probably limited cam choices in the 80s to choose from over stock.

Besides all that, the car certainly looks the business. Great color although I'm biased as I also own an '84 Slate Blue.
I took the letter to suggest that the conversion was done at Ruf in Germany prior to import to the States.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-01-2018, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by epinfren View Post
Being sold by the nightmare that is Real Muscle. I wouldn't touch any of their cars.

I posted a comment on BAT trying to warn people and encourage them to perform a thorough PPI but it was censored and never posted by admin. That site is such a joke.
Sketchy to say the least.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,587
But then again, a very rusty SC from Florida with can painted Fuchs went into the 30s.

As of late there have been many late 930s for sale that have been much nicer than this car.

A Euro grey market import with RUF parts bolted on by an unknown party is where I put it - $80K or in the 80s. I don't care about what others are willing to pay and what other people think the parts are worth.

That rusty SC was worth $22 in my mind - an educated guess.

This car my educated guess is still in the $80K range - real world. Sorry, but the only reason a Euro '84 is worth any more than lets say a '87 is because it was never available here.

Best of luck to the buyer.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 376
Sal, what "real world" are you talking about? The price of a car is what somebody is willing to pay for it. Yes, sometimes people get caught up and overpay, but there are times when things go for less than expected too. When averaged out, you have multiple data points on BAT that are "real world" sales prices--the very definition of market value.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
Is it me or everything on BaT Gets a big markup?

3dlanes.com
Old 02-01-2018, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocker View Post
Sal, what "real world" are you talking about? The price of a car is what somebody is willing to pay for it. Yes, sometimes people get caught up and overpay, but there are times when things go for less than expected too. When averaged out, you have multiple data points on BAT that are "real world" sales prices--the very definition of market value.
The real world of the classic Porsche car.

I wish people would come back to it.

I do not need to be schooled on the logic 'what anyone would pay is the real price.' Or that BaT represents 'multiple data points.'

I'm not buying it. No pun intended.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 14,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslinc View Post
Is it me or everything on BaT Gets a big markup?

3dlanes.com
My impression is a lot of BaT buyers are new to the market. They take it as a safe place to buy a car because of as detail and public assessment. And since they know very little about the marque or models they let the ad educate them. They are willing to pay more to buy “safely”. It is easier than 5 ppis when you don’t know diddly and lay others to assess the cars.

Now that some more questionable vendors are using it people will start getting stuck with dolled up turds. A day may come when BaT needs to kick out the dealers.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-01-2018, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 884
I don’t know aircooled 911s that well.
I do have a pretty good handle on a different marque though.
I’m staggered at what (I consider) crappy examples to go through at.

It’s not just Porkers. BAT has some weird halo effect on shiny metal.

That said I’d pay more than 80k for the car that started this. Not 170, but over 80 for sure.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
crb07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,189
Garage
Surprised it is already over 100k. Going to be interesting.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 376
FYI, price history for 930's on BAT:

Old 02-02-2018, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 376
And, for the record, one of those data points is the car I bought in January 2016, for $73k.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: CO
Posts: 23
Garage
I have an 83 conversion done by Alois. They could not have RUF VIN's at that point as RUF did not have us approval for the engine. To see the value it is good to take a car to the track. I passed stock 930's like they were standing still. Better breaking (RUF brakes), Lighter ~2700lbs, And more power.
They are a chore to drive.
BTW. I am looking for another BTR 3.3 engine case to build another motor if anyone wrecked theirs.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:13 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.