Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Full records does not replace a PPI
Old 02-02-2018, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I own an SC. It's sharp. It was rebuilt by an extremely reputable builder. It looks great. It draws people around it. It drives really well.

I have no paper work like yours.

No one would care because it looks and drives great. Plus, it would pass any test drive or PPI you care to throw at it.

Having said that, people like records. I think your car will sell faster with them then without them. But the car has to back up the records, not the other way around.

GLWS
Old 02-02-2018, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

+1 for records.

If I'm paying a premium I would love to have records to support the purchase; especially on a Porsche or another expensive reparable. Like a small plane : )

Sometimes that history makes the purchase that much more exciting/fun. A 90 Miata I just picked up had records from day 1, dealer brochures, window sticker, original loan docs etc. etc. Its probably worthless but for a car nerd its fun.

If I'm buying a cheap project its almost always not made a difference, rather than me knowing the owner or reading them. When I bought a 996 the receipt for 4K worth or work including the IMS was critical. Buying an SC with records on its known issues can only support the price and case for the seller.

Experience helps but not everyone is privy to that so that's where records make the difference IMO.

When do we get to see the SC for sale?
Old 02-02-2018, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Records are neat to look at. They show maintenance and A/C work. Lot's of A/C work.
But remember 99% of people are all the same.
If a car was in a minor fender bender, vandalized or ???. I guarantee those records are not in the file.

The best part of files is if they have all the original order or purchase information. It's a lot easier to confirm how the car came from the factory. Mine, for example, was ordered Paint to Sample with a 924 color. The color code does not show up on any 911 or 930 chart. Without the order form stating "Metallic Indiana Red" I would have had a hard time proving it's the original color; when I change it back. The LOA only states "Paint to Sample Red".
Old 02-02-2018, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Records are nice and all, but it all honesty I don't think it adds any more "value" to the car, but does make it more desirable in that price range.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Records are worth more than words. Provenance adds value.
R Gruppe #111
Early S Registry #235
res ipsa loquitur
Old 02-04-2018, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
I buy cars not paperwork.

Assumption would be a car with all paperwork will be a well cared for and loved car thus worth the extra dollars.
In the aviation world it is said youíre not buying the plane so much as youíre buying the logbooks. Without logbooks the aircraft is just a bunch of undocumented parts.

Okay, apples and oranges but I keep every receipt and if Iím buying, even with a PPI, I like to know what was replaced/addressed and when, especially if they are larger ticket items. Leaves out the guesswork and proves caring owners.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: