Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 2,390
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Meh. I have no interest in discussing the politics behind it. Iím just describing the economic situation as I see it.
Me either. It's just interesting to see Matt's economy versus mine. Funny how 20 years changes one's perspective.
__________________
1978 SC Coupe, Gris Argent Metallic Silver
1974 2002 Tii Polaris Silver, Under construction
1972 911T
Old 02-09-2018, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 13,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Me either. It's just interesting to see Matt's economy versus mine. Funny how 20 years changes one's perspective.
I really don't know what age has to do with it. I have always been of the school that trickle down doesn't work. It didn't work with Reagan and it's not going to work now. Couple that with fiscal irresponsibility and overspending and the govt's debt could very well create an economic downturn.

I'm a monetarist. Cheap money,which we have had for a decade, is the engine for economic growth. Our economy is strong, to the point of possibly overheating. Interest rates are going up, to slow it down. The corrections are money moving over into the bond markets and profit taking. There is nothing fundamentally wrong today, but my opinion is the wheels are being set in motion to mess that up.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-09-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 2,390
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
I really don't know what age has to do with it. I have always been of the school that trickle down doesn't work. It didn't work with Reagan and it's not going to work now. Couple that with fiscal irresponsibility and overspending and the govt's debt could very well create an economic downturn.

I'm a monetarist. Cheap money,which we have had for a decade, is the engine for economic growth. Our economy is strong, to the point of possibly overheating. Interest rates are going up, to slow it down. The corrections are money moving over into the bond markets and profit taking. There is nothing fundamentally wrong today, but my opinion is the wheels are being set in motion to mess that up.
I wasn't referring to politics or economic policy, nor will I. I was referring to how being retired and living off one's savings differs from still working and still contributing to one's nest egg. I'm the former, you're the latter.

I'm recently retired enough to feel the difference between the two. That was all I was saying.

Touchy touchy.
__________________
1978 SC Coupe, Gris Argent Metallic Silver
1974 2002 Tii Polaris Silver, Under construction
1972 911T
Old 02-09-2018, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 13,173
Not touchy at all. I didn’t get your point. It wasn’t clear to me. I was talking about whether or not people should find the events of this week alarming, I didn't realize you were saying,"Wait until you are my age and you'll care because it's your income."
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule

Last edited by Matt Monson; 02-09-2018 at 03:04 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 14
Hahaha how did this turn into an economics / politics discussion? I've got plenty of views but sharing them always seems to offend someone - my liberal friends all think I'm too conservative and my conservative friends think I'm too liberal. Does that mean I'm doing something right?

Anyway, to update the story on the car in the original post, I replied to the owner and told him that I didn't want to offend him with a lowball offer, but that my mechanic suggested the price be closer to $20k than $28k. I thanked him again for showing me the car and told him to contact me if he had trouble selling it. I assume if he contacts me again, he will be ready to deal. He mentioned to me that the reason he was selling it was because he had two other cars and needed to get rid of one.

So my search goes on. My local mechanic thinks that one or two that he is aware of may come on the market in the near future in my price range and said he'd give me a call. And my request still stands here to please let me know if you guys run across something in the $30k-ish range.

Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2018, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 2,390
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretz View Post
Hahaha how did this turn into an economics / politics discussion? I've got plenty of views but sharing them always seems to offend someone - my liberal friends all think I'm too conservative and my conservative friends think I'm too liberal. Does that mean I'm doing something right?

Anyway, to update the story on the car in the original post, I replied to the owner and told him that I didn't want to offend him with a lowball offer, but that my mechanic suggested the price be closer to $20k than $28k. I thanked him again for showing me the car and told him to contact me if he had trouble selling it. I assume if he contacts me again, he will be ready to deal. He mentioned to me that the reason he was selling it was because he had two other cars and needed to get rid of one.

So my search goes on. My local mechanic thinks that one or two that he is aware of may come on the market in the near future in my price range and said he'd give me a call. And my request still stands here to please let me know if you guys run across something in the $30k-ish range.

Thanks again!
I like your approach, especially using your mechanic as a source. I'm betting he finds you one. Slip him a finders fee when he does.
__________________
1978 SC Coupe, Gris Argent Metallic Silver
1974 2002 Tii Polaris Silver, Under construction
1972 911T
Old 02-10-2018, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
 
Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 14
I will definitely show them my appreciation if they help find me a good car. They've far exceeded my expectations already by being very generous with their time and explaining to me key information about air cooled 911s. Of course I dropped off a bottle of Blanton's to say thanks. It's what any reasonable person would do
Old 02-10-2018, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
gearhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Loverland, CO
Posts: 13,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretz View Post
Hahaha how did this turn into an economics / politics discussion? I've got plenty of views but sharing them always seems to offend someone - my liberal friends all think I'm too conservative and my conservative friends think I'm too liberal. Does that mean I'm doing something right?
It's a shame that the dismal science has been corrupted by the carnival barkers of Washington. That said, my friend situation is much like yours.

Enjoy your search. It's winter and a lot of people looking to sell hold back until the snow melts. There will be much more inventory available in a month or two. There's no hurry. The market has softened from the feeding frenzy of a year or two back.
__________________
1974 911 Restorod
1974 914 Bumble Bee
1975 911S Tom's Targa
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 14
Good advice. Thanks. I'll definitely be taking my time and I'm still learning. Originally I was focused on 80-89 911s but I've gained some appreciation for the 964 and 993. Learning the details about those and combing the listings will definitely take some time.

Thanks again to all of you for the help!
Old 02-10-2018, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:38 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2017 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.