Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
A little help please with an 83 SC

Hopefully you guys can provide a little assistance. I've been looking at aircooled 911s for a while now but haven't taken the plunge. Today I went to look at one nearby that is reasonably priced. Obviously I will get a PPI if I decide to move forward with this, which I feel is unlikely at this point.

The first thing I noticed was that it's an 83 SC, but the decklid has a Carrera emblem. I asked if the rear spoiler was factory, and he said yes. I still doubt it.

He said he's the second owner and he bought it in 87. He's not sure if he can find the records No VIN sticker or any other stickers in the door jambs. No build sticker under the bonnet. VIN plate is correct and is in the frunk just rear of the spare tire. The interior is in poor condition and the dash pad needs replacement. The seats need to be restitched at minimum. Door pockets are sagging and/or cracked. Leather throughout needs a lot of attention. Rear driver fold-down seatback is missing a bolt.

Engine seems mostly original. Don't see Carrera tensioners, but you guys can correct me if I'm wrong. Some duct tape, which is concerning. Owner says oil (non-synthetic) has been changed once a year even when in storage. Also said he had a leakdown test which he can provide which shows good results. He says Carfax shows no accidents. Also said he had it on a lift and there's no rust.

The body seems overall in good condition. He says it's the original paint. He also claimed it was a "wide-body" but it's clearly not an M491.

It drove pretty well, although it's also the first aircooled 911 I've driven. Transmission was smooth with no grinding. He said he had the clutch replaced about 4000 miles ago and it's the 3rd clutch in the car (no records though!)

Anyway, please take a look at the photos in the linked Dropbox and let me know your thoughts. Thanks very much!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9dnsvpjhaf1bb3z/AAAu8U3EgnqEQJVwUTblMQRsa?dl=0
Old 02-06-2018, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretz View Post
I've been looking at aircooled 911s for a while now but haven't taken the plunge. Today I went to look at one nearby that is reasonably priced. Obviously I will get a PPI if I decide to move forward with this, which I feel is unlikely at this point.

The first thing I noticed was that it's an 83 SC, but the decklid has a Carrera emblem. I asked if the rear spoiler was factory, and he said yes. I still doubt it.
Replacement decklid or someone wanted a Carrera instead, I say the former.

Quote:
He said he's the second owner and he bought it in 87. He's not sure if he can find the records No VIN sticker or any other stickers in the door jambs. No build sticker under the bonnet. VIN plate is correct and is in the frunk just rear of the spare tire.
The missing VIN sticker is puzzling given the overall condition of the car. Definitely follow up here. Post a pic of the door jambs.

Quote:
The interior is in poor condition and the dash pad needs replacement. The seats need to be restitched at minimum. Door pockets are sagging and/or cracked. Leather throughout needs a lot of attention. Rear driver fold-down seatback is missing a bolt.

Engine seems mostly original. Don't see Carrera tensioners, but you guys can correct me if I'm wrong. Some duct tape, which is concerning.
Duct tape's just the heater hose. No big deal.

Quote:
Owner says oil (non-synthetic) has been changed once a year even when in storage. Also said he had a leakdown test which he can provide which shows good results. He says Carfax shows no accidents. Also said he had it on a lift and there's no rust.

The body seems overall in good condition. He says it's the original paint. He also claimed it was a "wide-body" but it's clearly not an M491.

It drove pretty well, although it's also the first aircooled 911 I've driven. Transmission was smooth with no grinding. He said he had the clutch replaced about 4000 miles ago and it's the 3rd clutch in the car (no records though!)
Could be a good one depending on price.
Good luck !

Last edited by pmax; 03-04-2018 at 08:34 AM..
Old 02-07-2018, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Looks like it was repainted, the door pins were painted over.

That interior is trashed...I would check for rust under the rear seats.

What is the asking price?
05 Jetta GLI
Old 02-07-2018, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This definitely needs an expensive PPI.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

Vin stickers are gone because of repaint. Decklid badge is meaningless. It was installed when painted. Lots of people don't keep records on a ratty old 911. That's not suspicious. It's a $20-25k car depending on what a professional PPI says about the mechanical condition of the car.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-07-2018, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What is the price point? Car looks rough. Definitely 100% not original paint. Interior is mess. That car hasn't been taking care of.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
#10, #69, #70
Rear may have gotten hit. Mismatched lid. Crooked seams.

Rust on the gauges is always a weird thing to see

Last edited by sugarwood; 02-07-2018 at 03:00 PM..
Old 02-07-2018, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
what is the intent with the car? if the intent is a stock date night car that's not it. now, if you are considering stripping out the interior making it more of a hotrod long term project it might be a good jump off point if the mechanicals are sound.

when I say "sound" for a 35 yo car I mean decent leakdown numbers, no pulled head studs and no major oil leaks. brakes, suspension bushing, wheel bearings, shocks if original, electrical components are just a few of the things that may need immediate attention. if you are planning it to be a DIY tinker on it there will be plenty to do in the coming years if you enjoy that sort of thing. if it's a daily driver, you are exhausting your entire budget on entry cost or wanna drive comfortably, that's not it.

this is only a circle jerk until you share the asking price

and make sure your budget may include an extra $1K for a set of BBS or cookie cutter wheels. those things are hideous.
78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ

Last edited by juanbenae; 02-07-2018 at 03:54 PM..
Old 02-07-2018, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys. He's asking $28k, which is way too much as far as I'm concerned. He said he'd lower the price if a PPI showed it needed engine work / head studs /etc, but outside of that, the price was firm. My local shop does a $250 PPI which doesn't include any engine disassembly. Obviously that PPI wouldn't show the most serious issues.

I don't mind a project, and yes, I'd actually like to customize an interior with something a little unusual. So in some ways the car would work for me. At, say, $20k? Or less.

I showed the photos to my local mechanic today and his opinion was that the buildup in the gauge(s) was because the car got wet at some point. He also observed that the engine has never been apart and was concerned about what we might find.

I agree that it looks like it could have been rear-ended previously. Ultimately, all these issues could be overcome, but he seemed a little sketchy, he had no records, and clearly didn't take any pride in caring for the car. That altogether was too much for me. So I let him know earlier that I wasn't interested. I told him that if he still had the car later and lowered the price significantly to let me know.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

$28k firm is a joke for that jalopy but then again there is sucker born every minute. Cue the $32k rusted BAT SC.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I totally agree and yes, we'll definitely hear about the $32k brown BAT SC hahah.

I'm not going to start my own thread on the topic but I guess I'll throw out that I'm looking for a decent aircooled 911 just like everyone else on this forum and RL. I'm open to basically any 911SC/Carrera from late 70s on, to include 964s and 993s:

- $30k-ish
- Driver quality, not showroom/collector
- Coupe with manual transmission.
- Exterior color isn't very important, but I'd prefer a dark interior.
- I'm not afraid of a little work and I like car projects. I don't care if the paint isn't perfect, in fact, I'd rather not have to worry about it very much when parking.
- I prioritize mechanical condition over appearance. Of course I'd like some decent records.

I have my local Porsche shop keeping an eye out and I'm regularly checking AutoTempest + RL + here. Anything you guys find would be much appreciated!

P.s., although I've been on RL and other forums a while, I've obviously only recently found this site and I love it. So much knowledge and so many passionate people! Thanks for everything you guys do!
Old 02-07-2018, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Well you saw the recent bat sales. They may be going up again. My 83 came with the same whale tail and it was an option in 83. Mine also had the Carrera tag instead of the sc tag. Mine also had the carrera steering wheel. Hey they wanted them to look like the newer model. He called it a wide body because the middies weren’t flared out like the sc. Is there a better one out there? Never know have the ppl done may be worth it. The guys owned it since 87. The sc with its 3.0 engine is a fun car to drive. If it goes on bat it’s getting $30k.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
gearhead

That thing is a barrnfind on BaT. Haha
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-07-2018, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

When was a turbo tail an option on a slim body 911? I I know Porsche would do just about anything if you paid them but this one I find hard to believe.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
It was a sports option front and rear spoiler. Same thing in the carrera thou it was the carrera tail than.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
but he seemed a little sketchy, he had no records, and clearly didn't take any pride in caring for the car. .
How did he come across as "sketchy" ?

The duct taped air hose is another litmus test for a cheap owner.
I would avoid this car unless you were experienced in the 911 market.
Interior is crusty, and the paint seems the best part.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

It always amazes me that some sellers won't spend a few minutes with a vacuum, unless they're undermining the sale...subconsciously, of course
Old 02-08-2018, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I'm open to basically any 911SC/Carrera from late 70s on, to include 964s and 993s:

- $30k-ish
- Driver quality, not showroom/collector
- Coupe with manual transmission.
- Exterior color isn't very important, but I'd prefer a dark interior.
- I'm not afraid of a little work and I like car projects. I don't care if the paint isn't perfect, in fact, I'd rather not have to worry about it very much when parking.
- I prioritize mechanical condition over appearance. Of course I'd like some decent records.
You should expand your search to mid-years, especially 76-77 cars. There are sorted cars out there that fit your budget.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Better off checking out this 84 Carrera for $28K

FS: 1984 Carrera coupe / red - spoilers - 16" fuchs nice driver $28k
05 Jetta GLI
Old 02-08-2018, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
How did he come across as "sketchy" ?
I wouldn't say it seemed as though he was actively trying to deceive me, it's just that a lot of the information didn't add up or was unverifiable. He mentioned positive results of a recent compression test. When I asked if he had those printed results, he said the mechanic handwrote the results on a sheet of paper and he could give me those. He also said he had records previously and they were now in storage and he had no idea how to find them.

Maybe instead of sketchy, I should have characterized him as "not detail oriented"...? It's clear he did the absolute minimum to take care of the car, maybe not even that. If it seemed like he took care of the car, I could overlook the lack of documentation. But with no documentation and no faith at all in the owner, the car doesn't seem appealing to me.

It also concerns me that the car appears obviously repainted and was perhaps in an accident and he told me the paint was original with no accidents. That means it was repainted prior to him buying it from the original owner in, I think, 1987 and he never cared to check for the signs. OR, he's lying to me. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume the former.

Since I messaged him and said I decided to pass because there was too much work to do on it for $28k, he responded and asked what price would work for me.

Obviously it still needs a PPI, but based on what you guys have seen, any idea what I might offer him, knowing that I need to overhaul the entire interior + Carrera tensioners + likely synchros + likely head studs + whatever else? $18k-$20k?
Old 02-08-2018, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: