Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A couple of comments. That Forest Green 930: Images will never do this justice. One of the perfect and classic colors. On the dowside is the super low miles. 930s have so many complex systems with a lot of electrical/mechanicals.. that wear/corrode/get out of adustment and are tricky to get right. Honestly, to work really well they need to be driven and regularly.. and they need a few mods to drive anywhere near their potential.

The black 930: I like it also. I have always been found of center locks but they are tricky and can even be dangerous. Even Porsche has had a LOT of issues with them. As great as they look I'm sticking with 5 lugs. Be attentive and careful. The release door straps are much more correct to the car vintage and look much better to those of us who appreciate keeping the look "in period". There are custom and cleaner alternatives that some of us have done that are functionally nicer that keep it in period. BUT one should do whatever please himself and screw if others like it.

and QUESTION for juanbenae
"ive heard that the smog year limit will move to the 86+ model years after passing one last sniffer tests, but as I also understand it you will still be required to pass a visual every two years."

I have regularly poured over the BAR and CARB websites and this is the first I have heard about this. Do you have any clarification/sources? Don't forget that CA dumped the rolling exemption and screwed those of us expecting our cars.This may have started out about helping clean the air but evolved into dirty politics a long time ago. If they end up droppoing it again it will only be because they somewhat are painting themselfves into a corner going to the mostly OBD II reading. On the other hand it's the smog shops that pay for the dynos, etc and they have taken it in the shorts because of this state and there is no question that CA could care less about being "fair'.to them - or us. .
Old 02-10-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
Regarding Taj Ma Garage (a previous owner to the autokennel car referenced above) they did get great cars so this one could be one. Did not know of Mr Dixons passing but good to know. He bought one ( pics below ) and said it was one he wanted to keep. A few years later I saw Sloan had it for sale when the 930 market got hot for four times what he paid ( and worth it ) so until now I had thought less of him. Now I see it was sold because of his passing. As you can see in the photos it was nearly perfect and original ( under 9700 miles ) right down to the red cellophane dot, still there, on the brake pedal and a rare color he had always wanted. Lots of 930s I should have held till the now hot 930 market but even though this was a spectacular example I still wanted it gone for the one I bought with the $$$$$. Low Mi Perfect originals are nice but can't drive without running up the miles or worse. It was / is someones dream 930, just not mine but was a beauty to own , for awhile.

Met John Dixon a couple times and helped matchmake the purchase of a couple cars for his garage. He was a dyed in wool gearhead and was serious about his cars. If this black car used to be his itís probably pretty sorted.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-10-2018, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Matt, ( sorry my post was a little confusing so I corrected it ) it is this white one @ auto Kennel that was owned by Mr Dixon https://autokennel.com/1979-porsche-930-911-turbo-coupe-2/ as referenced by DG567 as the one to buy instead of the modded 76 930. It, according to the ad PR, was owned by Mr Dixon and will pass CA emissions. Personally I would want the black 76 for my stable. Also did you see my Oak Green metallic 79 when you were there? It was a real beauty.. I think he got it maybe 10 - 12 years ago. Glad to hear he was a avid car guy. He really wanted it as he said he always wanted a nice one in that color. Least he had it for awhile.

Last edited by voitureltd; 02-10-2018 at 04:55 PM..
Old 02-10-2018, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

[QUOTE=alwaysflat6s;9921892]A couple of comments. That Forest Green .

It was/is Oak Green Metallic. And yes the low miles is why I sold it over a decade ago. I did not want to keep it as I drive my cars. Wanted it to go to someone else to drive the miles value out or keep it as a garage queen. It did drive nice except for the square tire effect of the original tires. I probably drove it ( very slowly ) 50 miles in the 3 years I had it and finally decided it was not for me.

Last edited by voitureltd; 02-10-2018 at 04:28 PM..
Old 02-10-2018, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
Matt, it is this white one @ auto Kennel that was owned by him.https://autokennel.com/1979-porsche-930-911-turbo-coupe-2/ as referenced by DG567 as the one to buy instead of the modded 76 930. It, according to the ad PR, was owned by Mr Dixon and will pass CA emissions. Personally I would want the black 76 for my stable. Also did you see my Oak Green metallic 79 when you were there? It was a real beauty.. I think he got it maybe 10 - 12 years ago. Glad to hear he was a avid car guy. He really wanted it as he said he always wanted a nice one in that color. Least he had it for awhile.
Oops. My bad. I missed it was about the other car.

I never got to see the collection. He came out here because he was buying cars out of Dr Bill Jackson's collection. The big one was the 924 Carrera GTS CS with only 58km on it. He wanted one of each car every called a Carrera GT. So he had a 356, a 904, and added the 924. He bought a couple others but I don't remember them. The 924 in such amazing showroom condition was just mind blowing. This was around 2006-2007.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-10-2018, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
my car came with those and I hate them. mine does not even have the handle, but another leather piece. new riders in the car either cant figure out how to get out, or worse use that strap to close the door while seated. at some point when I'm looking for a quick project I plan on swapping in red nylon pulls made from harbor freight ratchet tie downs. have a seamstress that has sewn a set up previously that I used in the racecar.

Toby, Want to go for a ride.
Friend, Sure
Toby, Cool let's go. (Toby beaming with pride to show off his cool Porsche)
Friend, (Slams the door closed several times with the release strap as it pops back open, Looks at Toby and says) How do you close the door in this POS?
Toby, (Not feeling cool anymore)

I'm not riding in your car until that's fixed.

Last edited by 1979-930; 02-11-2018 at 04:05 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Functionista

Nothing wrong with center locks as long as they are reverse thread on the vehicles left side.

I once pulled a MG around the corner to park it for a customer and one front wheel rolled across four lanes of moving traffic threading its way between cars until it was finally stopped by a parked RX7. The customer had reverse installed the front hubs...
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: