Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanx so much Javadog and ficke for the great expert input. I suspected the hole might be for a wiper a year ago when i got it, but then said Nah, didn't the wiper option come through the back window back in the early days?

Are you guys sure about this? I always thought an alum lid couldn't support a wiper/and/ or motor. If you're correct, and i dare not doubt your expertise, this lid may be one to keep i.e. on the shelf, and consider letting go of one of the other two. I know at least about value on early cars. Sunroof, AC and rear wiper options put a premium on an actual car.

Keeping to the issue, my issue on this thread, i will post a few pix of the other two lids. I hope the guys or girls on this forum would help me decide which one to keep, or which one to let go of first. So far you all have helped me so much, and i thank you now for that!

All the best,
Bernard
Old 02-27-2018, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

The optional rear wiper never went through the glass. It was always mounted in the engine cover. I don't know offhand when that option became available but that hole is consistent with where the wiper arm shaft was mounted on every car that I've owned that I had that option.

I agree that the notion of mounting it on an aluminum deck lid wasn't one of Porsche's best ideas. I tend to believe that the aluminum chosen for these lids was far too thin but they were a product of the time when Ferdinand Piech had a lot of influence at Porsche and he was a bit of a freak when it came to weight.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
The optional rear wiper never went through the glass. It was always mounted in the engine cover. I don't know offhand when that option became available but that hole is consistent with where the wiper arm shaft was mounted on every car that I've owned that I had that option.

I agree that the notion of mounting it on an aluminum deck lid wasn't one of Porsche's best ideas. I tend to believe that the aluminum chosen for these lids was far too thin but they were a product of the time when Ferdinand Piech had a lot of influence at Porsche and he was a bit of a freak when it came to weight.
Thank you Javadog! Your experience/insights are/seem to be always unrivaled. How can i thank you enough, or repay you for your expert advice. Please let me know.

Best,
Bernard
Old 02-27-2018, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Hello everyone,

Today i took some pix of a second lid. Lets call the former one lid A, and this one lid B just to make it easy. I'll post tonight if successful from my smart phone.

Lid B has different issues, or rather different by comparison. In some ways its better, or worse perhaps, but I'm not sure which. I would hope to get the group's insight on which one might be better or best to keep.

This lid B has no corrosion. When i first saw it i thought it was in perfect condition. After, i saw cracks in the paint at lower outer edge, most likely from stress when closing the lid. However, though paint is cracked
and a little elevated at the cracks, i cannot feel the true contour to decifer a bend, nor is it easy to see with the naked eye or by a photo. Also there is a small ding which i encircled with a red marker. This ding doesn't seem to be a real issue does it?

Finally, it appears to be original and untampered with, and all original badges. So many of the mint ones for sale often have been painted, prepped etc. In those cases one would have to take the seller's word for what they claim on history. I think any buyer would be more attracted to an original one that hasn't been touched, since most likely they will have to repaint/restore it themselves anyhow.

Attempting to post the photos shortly.
Regards and thanks to all,

Bernard
Old 03-02-2018, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

first set of photos

Old 03-02-2018, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

batch 2 photos

Old 03-02-2018, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Last 6 pix

Old 03-02-2018, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I like that one better and think it would be worth more. It would probably not be a problem to fix the ding, considering you were going to have to repaint it anyway.

With respect to which one to keep and which one to sell, I would probably offer of the one with the wiper hole for sale first. That will sell if someone is looking for a lid with a wiper hole, those that don't have that option won't buy that lid. As that was a fairly rare option, buyers may be few and far between and it may take a while to sell that lid.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I always liked that one the best of the three. I was wondering though how many cars actually came with rear wiper, then how many came with rear wiper and alum lid in the day. If it were so rare and hard to come by, lid B might be worth more to the right guy -- even though as you say, it would take time.

I could always keep both of them for now and sell lid C, which I just dug up photos I took in the Winter out in the mountains where my 911E is still. That lid was on the car when I got it, though probably not originally on it i.e. a later addition that has been on the car since the early days when the dealer Mitsuwa motors sold it here.

This lid has corrosion under the paint underneath on edges, probably worse than lid A, but it is generally straight except for the big ding in the middle rear. It seems one could almost fix it with one's hand, but I wouldn't dare. Perhaps I should consider selling this one first and keeping the other two for the moment. But at what value could this lid C be at?? Anyone can chime in here.

Thanks so much, don't want to keep this thread going forever.

Bernard

Old 03-02-2018, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

a couple more photos of lid C.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

With the last one, it's hard to say what the reduction in value might be for the dent. Perhaps $500?

As for the rarity of the rear wiper, I think it's a pretty rare option. They were available from 1966 on, but I bet only a couple percent of the cars had them. They did put them on cars with aluminum lids, there are a couple of people on the early S forum that have such cars. I have a friend that has a 71S and I think it has a rear wiper. I've never checked to see if the engine cover is aluminum.

Maybe start with the dented one? Or, put them all three up for sale and keep the one that is left after the first two sell?

Last edited by javadog; 03-02-2018 at 06:16 AM..
Old 03-02-2018, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
With the last one, it's hard to say what the reduction in value might be for the dent. Perhaps $500?

As for the rarity of the rear wiper, I think it's a pretty rare option. They were available from 1966 on, but I bet only a couple percent of the cars had them. They did put them on cars with aluminum lids, there are a couple of people on the early S forum that have such cars. I have a friend that has a 71S and I think it has a rear wiper. I've never checked to see if the engine cover is aluminum.

Maybe start with the dented one? Or, put them all three up for sale and keep the one that is left after the first two sell?
It's a hard choice to make all around. I wanted to keep that C lid on the car it came with. Though the whole car needs a repaint, and though we almost verified that it didn't come with the lid, that might be the lid to keep for me. Why do i need one anyway? I don't have an S car right now that needs one or came with one. If i really need one then why not that one. Why be greedy and frivolous?

On the other hand, the rear wiper A lid can stay on the shelf for say 10 years. All you need is one guy that needs it and it is worth a fortune! Therefore, i will most likely sell lid B and get about 4k obo?

Is this a good idea or what? Thanks to you and all the Pelican guys that joined in I can be content in a decision. Always appreciate your kind help and exquisite advice and expertise Javadog!

Bernard
Old 03-02-2018, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I would just put one up for sale and see what happens. Patience is recommended.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
I would just put one up for sale and see what happens. Patience is recommended.
That's what i mean, Just one. Otherwise i could flood the market to my own detriment. Only lid B is the idea, as said 4k obo domestically.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: