Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Value this particular early S alum lid?

Hi Guys,

The pix I send are just a few, I can send more if necessary. It seems to be straight as an arrow, but issues are with some corrosion on edges and one hole in outer welding pipe, top right just near the grille mount. This one baffles me as to how it could have happened. The lid seems kind of original without tampering. The sticker in Japanese notes that it was imported into Japan, probably on a car way back in the day. One last issue is inner middle brace there is a hole where something was bolted to or the hole is broken away.

Thanx in advance for all your insight!
Bernard

Old 02-25-2018, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sorry Everyone,

The welding pipe hole is on the outer left, so I can send a closer view of that.

Sorry,

Old 02-25-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
4k?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 02-25-2018, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Maybe this time I can get the right photo,

Sorry again,
Bernard

Old 02-25-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Last shot,

Old 02-25-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

From the few Ive seen for sale, $4k seems to be a good start point for a clean and straight example. Many were badly dented due to the somewhat fragile construction, even steel ones are commonly seen dented. The original letters are nice as well.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm at 2-2500$ on that. The few nice ones I've seen have sat forsale @ $4000.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Repo are $1200, mint originals are $4k but seem to wait for the right buyer.

If you want a quick sale $2 to $2.5k. But if you are willing to wait, $3.5k o.b.o.?

Santa brought me a repo this Christmas and I’m pleasantly surprised all things considered - but then I’m not a purist. Originality is worth it to many and so will be willing to go the extra $$$.

There are a couple on evilbay right now. One is $2400, the other $3200 and I think yours is far nicer.

Last edited by Munky King; 02-25-2018 at 12:16 PM..
Old 02-25-2018, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

advertise on early S worth more to someone restoring an S....
Old 02-25-2018, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thank you for the input everyone. I was wondering if anyone noticed the hole in the welding pipe on the outer skin that shouldn't be there - in the last three pix I posted?

That would have to be repaired, a cost to a buyer. Also how could tat hole come to be? I wonder how the repair cost would affect the general market price. Is it no big deal? Also the corrosion issue. I have 3 of these alum lids and there all white if you can believe it. I might keep one, so that is the reasoning to value the particular one(s) that I would hope to let go of first.

If you all don't mind, I can take pix of the other two and post them in hopes to get feedback on the best one to keep and/or which one to let go of for about how much. I would send fewer pix next time.

Thanks again to all. I don't know too much about aluminum restoration.

Bernard
Old 02-26-2018, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
advertise on early S worth more to someone restoring an S....
Thanx but been there and attempted one year ago. As a new member, saying that i joined primarily to sell an alum lid, this one c-nt named Frank Beck-- and i remember his name because my high school art teacher was named Harold Beck and he was a h-m-sexual -- corrosionntinued to harass me for that.

Then his German friend joined in wrecking my thread. They were both "senior members". My thread was only about ascertaining my alum lid strut by number. That is the lid on my 69E. When things got a little heated on exchange, a junior moderator canceled my thread. Therein, i requested all my posts, threads, and membership be retracted from early S. I may one day engage again, but i like Pelican people better. As for now i can do without early S. Even so, my lid would be advertised locally, due to cost prohibitive shipping constraints.

Good advice however and thanks for that!

Bernard
Old 02-26-2018, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If by "hole in the welding pipe", you mean that hole that is visible in the last series of photos, that was for a factory rear window wiper.

The corrosion is not bad, compared to many that I've seen. I have sold one that is far worse by comparison, and I think I got somewhere around two grand for it, maybe a little more. I sold it before the recent rise in values. I would tend to think the value is more towards the higher end of what has been estimated here. A part like this may take a while to sell.

I don't think the price of the reproductions is relevant. That's a separate market all together.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
This looks like a very nice deck lid, the corrosion is at a minimum and does not look like it would be an issue at all.
The very important outer bottom edge that gets damaged from any slight bump is good.
I can not find the hole you mention, this deck lid did have a factory installed rear wiper on it, and should go on a car that uses a rear wiper, there is that hole but I do not see the unwanted hole.
There are reproduction lids being made now, that being said I and many others always prefer original to reproduction, it is hard to beat the factory for fit and size.
I would say the $2,500 to 3,000 sounds fair.
Deck lids are damaged on a lot of these cars and are never repaired properly and when you open the lid to look at a engine on a restored car I always look at the underside of the deck lid for signs of rear end damage. Many time great looking cars have wrinkled undersides of their deck lids.
Sorry about your bad experience with the Early S site.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Javadog, I was typing slower than you and said the same thing. Great minds think a like?
Old 02-26-2018, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Sold a pristine aluminum decklid for $2500 and it took a long time. Repo's devalued the market.
$2k max on the lid
Old 02-26-2018, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Kaye View Post
Sold a pristine aluminum decklid for $2500 and it took a long time. Repo's devalued the market.
$2k max on the lid
Where did you offer it and where did you sell it?
Old 02-26-2018, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Listed here and early S.
Took 6 months to sell with a lot of silence.
This is an actual sale with real money changing hands. And mine was in much better shape.
So, I don't need to conject.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Here's one I sold 5 or 6 years ago. It was in much worse shape, took a couple months to sell it and I don't think I offered it on the early S forum. Maybe I did, but I don't think so. I don't recall the final sales price but I believe it was north of $2k. Re-pops had been out for a while and I think I sold it before the prices of all this crap hit their peak.

FS: Original aluminum S decklid
Old 02-26-2018, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Bernard Plett;9941447]Thanx but been there and attempted one year ago. As a new member, saying that i joined primarily to sell an alum lid, this one c-nt named Frank Beck-- and i remember his name because my high school art teacher was named Harold Beck and he was a h-m-sexual -- corrosionntinued to harass me for that.

Then his German friend joined in wrecking my thread. They were both "senior members". My thread was only about ascertaining my alum lid strut by number. That is the lid on my 69E. When things got a little heated on exchange, a junior moderator canceled my thread. Therein, i requested all my posts, threads, and membership be retracted from early S. I may one day engage again, but i like Pelican people better. As for now i can do without early S. Even so, my lid would be advertised locally, due to cost prohibitive shipping constraints.

Good advice however and thanks for that!

Am I the only one seeing his awful attitude.
Calling people names.
Ct
And or h-m-

Come on. No room Thor that.

Moderator should ban you!!!
Old 02-26-2018, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
I had a very similar experience on early S.
Buncha *****es.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: