Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Glad to hear the rear valance and muffler will be changed to stock - will certainly add value - GLWS/A or even keeping the car - a very nice example
Old 02-26-2018, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
BAT just turned an '88 coupe with 160k for $58k a couple weeks ago.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 02-26-2018, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill911 View Post
Thanks Ferrariguy,

That's quite an impressive collection of cars you have.
Now that I've started the ball rolling I have a list of things to do. Although it's not too late to change my mind. Straightening the gauges is simple, I have the original Reno radio in a box. I probably won't put the original steering wheel on I'll just sell it with the car, I like the 930S wheel and think it adds not subtracts. I need to buy a rear valance, have it painted to match and put the original muffler back on, that's in the attic. Most of what I've done is reversible, I always kept that in mind just in case.
Regards,
If you have or get the few parts to make it 100% original ok, but I donít know if I would install them. I like the mods and if I purchased this car I would drive it as is.
87 Turbo; EFI project.
86 Turbo; Ruf wannabe, 3.4 liter twin plug, 964 cams, lots of Ruf parts.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
shh-the robot is sleeping

I agree that the more original the better in this market for this year. Hate to repeat myself from prior posts. But, please make sure you address predictable concerns regarding headstudes, clutch, engine compression/leak down, trans etc... This work done up front will help you and the buyer navigate the purchase process with ease. These cars are not $20k any more and buyers at this level are more demanding. It is what it is, just be prepared.

Last edited by da Vinci Dan; 02-26-2018 at 05:44 PM..
Old 02-26-2018, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks da Vinci Dan for some good pointers.
Clutch is not new time wise but has very few miles, release shaft update was done with the clutch and operates smooth, trans is not an issue. I have not check compression recently but based on performance I suspect that is good but will spend the time to run through it so I'm comfortable there will be no surprises.
I bought a new valance today, I'm having it painted to match, I'll pull the Dansk SS dual out off and the original muffler will see light of day again, it's been in the attic for years. Also bought a new lip spoiler, mine has a couple of nicks which doesn't present well.
I'm starting to realize the little things I've been been waiting to do; it's time to address them.
Thanks,
Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Please take off ALL after market glitter, stock sells.

Adding stuff is personal taste and people do not like these cars played with for max money
Old 02-27-2018, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
BAT is stupid prices, seller use it, buyer never use it...
Old 02-27-2018, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgwollet View Post
BAT is stupid prices, seller use it, buyer never use it...
Well except for the buyers who win the cars being sold...
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-27-2018, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

If your taking off the Dansk and it could be converted to a single out, I would be interested in it.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Just drive it more? If you put 100k miles on that car it'd depreciate maybe $10k if maintained. If you don't drive it because the AC is no good, add AC and drive it. If you don't drive it because you're afraid to mess it up or affect resale...don't worry about it—life is short and scratches and miles won't hit this car nearly as hard as five years will on some 2013 sports car.

If you don't drive it because it's just not the experience you're looking for day in and day out for the sum you have into it, well, then I agree that BaT is a great place to sell turn-key examples with few to no issues, and in rare colors at that. Spend a couple grand to fix anything that a room full of knowledgeable and clueless spectators can point to and yell about.

I sold my '87 and regretted it the same day, even after reading the same sentiment from many forum dwellers and deciding to sell.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Don’t sell it unless you need the money. These are dead reliable and the prices don’t seem to be coming down. I don’t consider them investments, but more something where I won’t lose money. I suspect in the process of getting it ready to sell and driving it you might change your mind.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Still planning to sell the Carrera but I'm taking my time to get all the little things taken care of. So far I bought a new valance had it painted to match, installed new valance with gasket and the original muffler, sold the Dansk to a list member. I straighten the gauges, fixed the windshield washer pump, replaced the spoiler lip that was nicked in a couple places, sold that to a list member too. Bought a new cruise control cable and installed it, that is a real PITA. Yesterday I checked the compression measured 180-185 on all cylinders, which made me happy, but not surprised as the car runs great. Replaced the H5 lenses, each had a chip. Soon as it stops raining I'll head out to take some quality pictures. I have to admit I like the sound of the car with the original muffler, I've had the Dansk on there since 2001. Like a new car again.

jw
Old 03-24-2018, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Still planning to sell the Carrera but I'm taking my time to get all the little things taken care of. So far I bought a new valance had it painted to match, installed new valance with gasket and the original muffler, sold the Dansk to a list member. I straighten the gauges, fixed the windshield washer pump, replaced the spoiler lip that was nicked in a couple places, sold that to a list member too. Bought a new cruise control cable and installed it, that is a real PITA. Yesterday I checked the compression measured 180-185 on all cylinders, which made me happy, but not surprised as the car runs great. Replaced the H5 lenses, each had a chip. Soon as it stops raining I'll head out to take some quality pictures. I have to admit I like the sound of the car with the original muffler, I've had the Dansk on there since 2001. Like a new car again.

jw
You are going to get top $ by the sound of it. I also prefer the stock muffler sound over the Dansk. Not a fan of the Dansk larger tail pipes also. Best of luck with your sale.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
I agree, if this thing ends up on BaT it will bring strong money for sure...I love the interior and if I was in the market I would be all over this combo. Must be a real gut check to sell it but enjoy the process.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

I just noticed the label on your fuel filter...Good to see I'm not the only lunatic around here...

Old 03-24-2018, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
I just noticed the label on your fuel filter...Good to see I'm not the only lunatic around here...

Yep. I always put a label on air, oil, and gas filter to remind me how long and how many miles since I last changed it. Iím a bit anal and OCD.
John
Old 03-24-2018, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Sounds like youíre doing it right. Youíre also selling it at the right time.

You may consider taking off the valve covers and checking the headstuds. I know this was an absolute must for me when buying, regardless of compression.

If it is done, you will get top dollar fast. If, not then the buyer is thinking they may purchase your car for $50k + then possibly face a $15k top end if they are lucky.

The logic doesnít work on the purchasers side if they are knowledgeable-which they would be for your car.

If I was in your shoes, Iíd feel kind of stuck: open the covers and find one or two broken studs... Then what? I get it. But, it has 99k...

This is the buyers mind. My guess is that the knowledgeable buyer will pay someone to have it done as part of the ppi anyway. As I did.

Again, it ainít 2004 anymore.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I probably won't put the original steering wheel on I'll just sell it with the car, ,
Mistake.
Spend the 10 mins, and put back the OEM steering wheel.
That's a very glaring mod that is an instant turn off for many buyers.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Kind of Blue

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post

Quote:
Yep. I always put a label on air, oil, and gas filter to remind me how long and how many miles since I last changed it. I’m a bit anal and OCD.
John
It's 2018, friends. Keep a spreadsheet on your Google Drive.

I don't track the oil change though. It's every year in November before the foul weather starts to set in.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Color...

Fantastic colors alone would make many people who are in the market jump - itís nice to see a non red, white, or black late model Carrera.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: