Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

No bubble here

'84 Coupe with triple digit miles for $43,666. As the owner of an '86 black/black coupe in similar if not better condition, thinking I need to up my agreed value insurance again.

I currently have Hagerty. Per their valuation tool, #2 condition for my car is $51,700. Will they require some sort of inspection to increase the agreed value to this number?

Last edited by Cevan; 03-02-2018 at 03:03 PM..
Old 03-02-2018, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevan View Post
'84 Coupe with triple digit miles for $43,666. As the owner of an '86 black/black coupe in similar if not better condition, thinking I need to up my agreed value insurance again.

I currently have Hagerty. Per their valuation tool, #2 condition for my car is $51,700. Will they require some sort of inspection to increase the agreed value to this number?
Depends on the insurance company. If you have Hagerty then the answer is no, it takes just one phone call to up your stated value. Others might not be as simple, but I doubt itd need an appraisal. Probably just some current photos of the car and a few comps should do it.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevan View Post
'84 Coupe with triple digit miles for $43,666.
Nope, no bubble.

$40K is still a bargain for this modern classic.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Nope, no bubble.

$40K is still a bargain for this modern classic.
It is - considering what they cost new in '86. Also, in 1986 there were more aircooled 911s made than any other year from 1965-1989 - but you don't see that many for sale. Interesting. They brought a ton over to the States in '86. But then in '87 Black Monday happened and then it was very hard on Porsche.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

And people told me my car is $32k.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-02-2018, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

In all honesty thats a pretty clean looking car.

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 03-02-2018, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Same guy who sold the brown "patina'd" SC for 32k.

He's doing well.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

78 SC coupe sold for $33K.
Broken head stud, needs shocks, brake work, tires and wheel bearings.

Has cool looking seats :-)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-porsche-911sc-3-0-3/
05 Jetta GLI
Old 03-02-2018, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
hagerty insured my car for $50k with very few questions, a couple of photos & my very truthfoo exertion that the motor was recently rebuilt. they know what these cars mean to us, what they are worth, and how we care for them. insuring a classic car is a good investment for both parties.
78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 03-02-2018, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanbenae View Post
hagerty insured my car for $50k with very few questions, a couple of photos & my very truthfoo exertion that the motor was recently rebuilt. they know what these cars mean to us, what they are worth, and how we care for them. insuring a classic car is a good investment for both parties.
What is your annual premium and restrictions?

Is it the only car in the policy?

Thanks a lot
Old 03-03-2018, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I'm staying with Progressive for now. The local Hagerty guy thinks my '75S Targa with all the work, essentially completely gone-through engine and everything rebuilt is worth what they have on the Hagerty website - $18K. Yeah, I know it's a middie, but it has no rust and has had a ton of work done. No way you are replacing my car at $18K. The solid Targa top is worth a bit as well.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothingNC View Post
78 SC coupe sold for $33K.
Broken head stud, needs shocks, brake work, tires and wheel bearings.

Has cool looking seats :-)

Seats sold this one. You've got to be kidding. Head stud, brakes, shocks, tires, wheel bearings? What are we talking $6K for all that (and that's cheap). Not to mention those horrible wheels. And a Euro?

Man, I would have waited for a much better car than this. Dude will be in it another $10K at least when he gets some real wheels on it.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-porsche-911-carrera-16/
I was thinking of going for this until it broke the upper 30s about an hour before the end.
It's a nice looking car / color combo / stance / well cleaned and presented for sale and mid 30s seemed fair.
Think what the buyer is actually paying: $43,666 + 5% buyers fees + tax and poss shipping!
Then when it I thought to myself - this is BAT, what do you expect!

I agree the interior sold this car, but I wonder if the buyer really knew what they were buying? I get the feeling, a lot of people think buying from BAT is safe, as so many people 'vet' the cars in the comments section...
Old 03-03-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
For me, the shine on BAT is coming off a bit. I have been interested in finding an '88 E28 M5 for some time now and have been watching them churn through BAT...there was what looked like a nice one last October that appeared on BAT but it was missing some key shot such as undercarriage and rockers panels...hmm. Anyway it hammered down at $26K and the owner discussed his subsequent woes of serious rust issues and compression values on mye28. The new owner is very pragmatic about the whole matter but it seems that this shows the pitfalls of BAT and underscores Munky's notes above as I do not believe there is any buyer's protection offered by BAT....you can only vet cars so well from pictures but for an additional % charge perhaps BAT could send an agent to "BAT certify" a vehicle before moving it to auction. The values of revenue they're seeing through auctions is pushing BAT through a glass ceiling and clearly some folks are being cut along the way.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Kind of Blue

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
And people told me my car is $32k.
I had a number of suspected flippers tell me the same.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faverymi View Post
What is your annual premium and restrictions?

Is it the only car in the policy?

Thanks a lot
Typical Hagerty restrictions. I pay just under $700/yr with a $40,000 agreed value. Only car on this policy.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I'm staying with Progressive for now. The local Hagerty guy thinks my '75S Targa with all the work, essentially completely gone-through engine and everything rebuilt is worth what they have on the Hagerty website - $18K. Yeah, I know it's a middie, but it has no rust and has had a ton of work done. No way you are replacing my car at $18K. The solid Targa top is worth a bit as well.
weird. hagerty had no problem insuring my 76 (well sorted with a fresh 3.2) when i bought it a few years ago for $30K...
Old 03-03-2018, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1752 View Post
For me, the shine on BAT is coming off a bit. I have been interested in finding an '88 E28 M5 for some time now and have been watching them churn through BAT...there was what looked like a nice one last October that appeared on BAT but it was missing some key shot such as undercarriage and rockers panels...hmm. Anyway it hammered down at $26K and the owner discussed his subsequent woes of serious rust issues and compression values on mye28. The new owner is very pragmatic about the whole matter but it seems that this shows the pitfalls of BAT and underscores Munky's notes above as I do not believe there is any buyer's protection offered by BAT....you can only vet cars so well from pictures but for an additional % charge perhaps BAT could send an agent to "BAT certify" a vehicle before moving it to auction. The values of revenue they're seeing through auctions is pushing BAT through a glass ceiling and clearly some folks are being cut along the way.
Maybe I'm just old school but I don't think we need to be "protected" when playing the vintage car game. Whatever happened to common sense, buyer beware, and due diligence? Doesn't matter if BAT, ebay or CL, the same rules should always apply. If a seller posts poor pictures, he/she will get lower bids. If a buyer doesn't like what they see, then bid low or don't bid. So simple, no need to over regulate and hand-hold everybody.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

No bubble you say...
My friend here makes a few.

I know what you are saying about buyer beware, but for some reason, cars on BAT seem to be HALOed.
Reviewed by a ton of armchair experts - that sound so sure of themselves.
It’s okay to say a fool and his money soon go different ways, but you are on the informed side.
It would be tough to be someone who knows little about cars other than one day they would like to own a 911 in their lifetime.

Last edited by Munky King; 03-03-2018 at 04:52 PM..
Old 03-03-2018, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky King View Post
It would be tough to be someone who knows little about cars other than one day they would like to own a 911 in their lifetime.
Then they need to put in the time and effort to research what they want to buy. There are so many ways to get educated in this internet era, I don't see how can anyone be ignorant about anything. Unless they're lazy. As for the armchair experts, I agree BAT should put a BIG disclaimer that "opinions expressed here are just opinions and should be taken with a huge grain of salt". Having said that, I will admit I have learned a few things from experts on BAT. You just have to filter out the BS...
Old 03-03-2018, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: