Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exclamation STOLEN Jay Putnams 356 Racecar stolen (RED #60)

Sorry to say, My racecar was stolen. I have located it in Brookfield Ct. And am trying to recover it.
DREW BROWN DOES NOT, NOR EVER HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE THEFT.
The point of this post is to warn potential buyers, and solicit help. SO IF you dont KNOW Mass Title 1,Chapter 266, Section 28, please dont bother to post What you think you know, or disparaging remarks.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR AT ANY PRICE AS I AM CURRENTLY ATTEMPTING RECOVERY

1961 356B SCCA Race car

Please if you have any advice, or experience with such matters please call me.
Jay Putnam

Last edited by racerjay; 04-17-2018 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Lost my head,correction
Old 04-14-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would like to clarify 2 points, Drew Brown, DID NOT KNOW this car was stolen, and the guy who currently has it didnt either.
It was taken from outside my shop Jan 2013, I tried on so many occasions to buy it back and go after the guy that took it. My hometown Police dept ( at the time of theft didnt want to file a stolen vehicle report). BECAUSE IT IS A RACECAR. SPECULATE WHAT YOU WILL, You cant make a cop do anything he doesnt want to, before the gears start turning in your noggins, it is a small town police Dept.
However, I finally got the chief to file a report, jurisdictional differences means it didnt go much further.
To add, I nicely tried to buy it back from the guy that currently has it, when I informed him it was stolen, that I wanted to buy it from him and go after the guy that took it, he stopped returning my calls, hasnt for almost a year.
A lot has been made of this post , sorry if anyone doesnt like it, thats your right.
I felt some harsh things were said to me, and I responded in kind. I took my thinking cap off for a while when I responded. I apologize to any LGBT I may have offended with my insensitivity. I have many gay friends, and discussed my comments with them, taken in context, they thought a few of you were rather insensitive, and laughed about it. I personally dont think what I said was funny. So I am apologizing for that ALONE, any other comments, I may edit, but dont apologize for.
Jay Putnam

Last edited by racerjay; 04-16-2018 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: lost my head
Old 04-14-2018, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
When was the car stolen from you?
Is it titled?
Any idea how many people possessed the car before BMW guy ended up with it?
87 Turbo; EFI project.
86 Turbo; Ruf wannabe, 3.4 liter twin plug, 964 cams, lots of Ruf parts.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

RIP Alan Howes

I have known Alan Howes since the 70,s.I sold him several 911 race engines and a few 356 cars.God bless him.How was he involved?
Old 04-14-2018, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

How is it that if this car was stolen from you, that you felt the need to offer to purchase it back from the supposed thief?!? That defies logic. Please explain that one.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Functionista

No details? Not going to get much help without those....
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Exclamation

Answers in order asked:
(1) crb, It was stolen from me, never titled (last titled in 1975), title endorsed to me with a bill of sale.
4 people, Ken Hohenberger, stole it, sold it to Alan (RIP) for 8500 (knowing me and the car, he knew it was "warm" to say the least, as I had offered, him (Alan Howes) and Prescott Kelly,to locate a buyer for 20,000. splitting anything over that.
(2) (fapgar) I know Alan and Leslie, Graham, Grant, Robbie, etc. I have known Al for 25 plus years, bought sold or traded DOZENS of VW/P/A cars and bits the whole time. I was warned about Al
( Hang on to your wallet, etc., 25 years ago ). He never ever treated me as less than family, hell 3 of my 5 kids have spent the night at his home. ( Northampton, Ma. to New Hartford isnt a day trip, 'specially when he turned tour guide!)
(3) JMS935, Sorry about not including that in the post, I put it up on 3 sites and tried to include the specifics in each one, it was getting late!) So here goes, I have tried to report it stolen to 3 Police Dept.'s, The FBI (Springfield, Mass., Boston, Mass.), Northwestern District attorney, Northampton, Ma. Now I am working with the local FBI, West Palm Beach. No one would file a stolen vehicle report, for various reasons, primarily because it is a racer car, and I didnt report it right away. I was in shock, to say the least ( put yourself in my shoes. I will copy and paste, if I can the most informative post on the 356Registry site. Max didnt steal it so why go" 5 0 " on him? I intend to pursue the thief, not another "Victim". See my next post
(4) manbridge 74, See my following post.

Last edited by racerjay; 04-17-2018 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 04-15-2018, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Exclamation More info

1961 356B SCCA Race car

I bought the car in 1990. I have the bill of sale, and the Title was signed over to me, I never titled the car, I went racing, as many CVR members will attest. It was an outright theft. I had enlisted Prescott Kelly in trying to find a buyer, for 20,000 plus, but before anything happened, It was stolen by Ken Hohenberger then sold to Alan Howes Complete, but partially disassembled for 8500 USD. I returned from hauling a load of shop equipment to Florida, to find it was taken from my shop while I was away. I was in shock, PTSD they call it, I sat down in a snow bank and started crying, ( sorry for being human guys) and I could only imagine what had happened to it, I figured it was already at the Pomona Swap meet, and could kiss it good bye, as I wasnt even sure what date it was taken ( 2 to 3 week window, Jan 2013 ). I made the mistake of giving up on it, licked my wounds and continued my move South ( It was stolen in Mass. ) I didnt report it stolen immediately, My first attempt was April 2013. It was last registered in Wa. state in 1975.
It wasnt until my son found it online, that I began to hunt it down, I posed as a buyer, and offered to buy it back, and pursue the thief my self. I had consulted an attorney who told me in 2014 that it would be pursued as a civil matter. I tried to report it stolen, and the local police, were judge, jury and executioner, they argued with me about taking a police report, so what was I to do? I still am baffled, as I have talked to every one from 3 different police departments, the FBI, and the North Western District Attorney. I am currently trying to work with local FBI, but this isnt So. Cal. where they take this stuff quite seriously. In Mass they didnt think it was their problem, Local Police or the State Police, for that matter. Sorry, I sound so negative about it, but I am. I am NOT encouraged in the least that I will ever see my car again. Next to getting divorced, and my Sister passing, this is the worst thing I've had to sit by and watch happen in my life.
Thanks for asking.
Jay Putnam

Last edited by racerjay; 04-16-2018 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: lost my head
Old 04-15-2018, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

No doubt you are a classic “victim” with what can best be described as an inept attorney.

Last edited by Macroni; 04-15-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Old 04-15-2018, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I’m not defensive, the story just didn’t make any sense as told. Trying to buy back your own property is illogical. That’s all. I have no clue who any of these people are. If you’re so dead set on getting this very car back, and you can’t get help from the popo, then I guess I somewhat understand it better now. But I’m still confused since you originally enlisted a guy to sell it for you, so if that’s the case why did you want to buy it back after it was stolen? If your original intent was to get rid of it anyways, and then it gets stolen and you pursue buying it back...I’m still unclear on this. Though it doesn’t really need to make sense to me, I’m just explaining to you why I don’t fully get it. You can see why I’m confused - that has nothing to do with being defensive.

How long ago did this happen?

Didn’t you have insurance? They’d cut you a check and you’d be done with all of this nonsense. If they wanted to play sleuth, then all of this would be on them.

The first thing you do when buying a car is to title it in your name and get insurance, I’m guessing neither of these were done. If you don’t title it in your name, then the previous owner can just steal it back from you. In your case it was someone else, but if it wasn’t ever tilted in your name it was still quite vulnerable to being stolen - just on paper instead. Which presents a whole different set of problems.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Dave W

I guess the lesson is, to always title your cars in your name.
I'm curious, what did the police tell you?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
This ainít a great way to start a relationship or get help here.

MattR

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjay View Post
Really? You guys amaze me (some of you anyway)
Its always the "victims" fault. I didnt steal my car, someone else did. I tried to report it stolen, you must be fairly inept if your an attorney, as most know what I told you, or are you the "Jailhouse" variety, that doesnt know Jack.
Barrister, instead of insulting me why not expend the energy to offer some useful advice.
BTW, I am not an attorney, that buys his way to trophies (you maybe?).
Inept as an attorney, but I would drive circles around your arse in a lil' ole pushrod 1600 cc
times at LRP 1:00 minute flat around (no chicane ) in practice, and 1:02 in Competition
NHIS road course Sub 1:10's all day long...
Old 04-15-2018, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Just curious here.

What date was it stolen? (date)
When did you first report it stolen to the authorities? (date)
Did you ever make an insurance claim? (y/n)
Old 04-15-2018, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Trying to be helpful and having some experience in these matters:

Go back to the person has their name on the title. Either have them report it stolen, or:
Get an updated bill of sale from them and put it in your name.

You can't report a car stolen that you don't own. Just a idea or two. Best of luck...
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 04-15-2018, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

1. No title in your name means you saved a few bucks by not paying tax/reg fees which I suppose can be justified if you never intended to drive it on public roads. Unfortunately those fees which are a pain to pay are the only way to prove that you didn’t steal this car from someone else. Not accusing you of anything just stating a fact. That’s why most car enthusiasts pay the tax man something: so we seal the deal and make it our own.
2. I’m assuming since it’s not registered in your name, you never insured it?
3. When was it actually stolen from you?
4. When did you report it stolen?
5. Who did you first report it stolen to and what was their response?
6. If you didn’t get the response you wanted from the first person you reported to, who did you turn to next?

Sorry if my questions are invasive but just want to know all the details. I’ve had a car totaled by a paint shop before and it felt like it was stolen from me so I do know what the initial ‘shock’ of losing your pride and joy feels like. I know how I reacted in those first few chaotic hours and I just want to get a sense of what you went through. I hope you get your car back. Thanks.
Gone but not forgotten: 77 R100s, 09 S63 AMG, 74 911, 88 R100RS, 78 930, 01 996 C4, 05 Cayenne, 09 Audi TT, 03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans, 07 WRX STI, 03 R1150GSA, 78 R100/7, 01 Audi S4, 98 Audi A4, 98 R1200c, 78 GL1000, 92 Accord coupe, 89 KE100
Old 04-15-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt930s View Post
This ainít a great way to start a relationship or get help here.

MattR
+ 1, I am with Matt on this. It seems convoluted at best!

1967 912 Coupe
1985 911 Carrera
1969 911E (Sold)
Old 04-15-2018, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Still not clear on timeline, as asked a few times above.
What date was the car stolen?

Main lesson here is get a police report as soon as it is stolen.
I am not an attorney but something worth 20k is worth a civil suit. I doubt the guy currently in possession wants a civil case for stolen property. Should not be difficult to get witnesses to confirm your version of what happened. Would love for this guy to explain his side.
87 Turbo; EFI project.
86 Turbo; Ruf wannabe, 3.4 liter twin plug, 964 cams, lots of Ruf parts.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69porsche View Post
+ 1, I am with Matt on this. It seems convoluted at best!
1. I think the OP should very clearly explain in a few short steps what happened in order to enlist help from this forum.

2. I completely agree that this sounds much mor convoluted than a simple auto theft story.

3. I think the intital post accusing Max of wrong doing without a detailed explanation was completely uncalled for. I donít know Max but I think every BMW motorcycle guy in the country has heard of his shop. So just calling him Ďnot a man of his wordí is not helping get you your car back and not fair to Max.

4. To the OP: I just read your post above stating you are going through a divorce and crying and other stuff. You need to keep all that separate. If you want to get your car back youíre going to have to stay focused. The best advice youíve gotten from this forum so far is from LakeCleElum: go find the legal owner of the car and have him issue a title in your name or have him report it stolen. I still have no clear sense of the chronology of what happened here.
Gone but not forgotten: 77 R100s, 09 S63 AMG, 74 911, 88 R100RS, 78 930, 01 996 C4, 05 Cayenne, 09 Audi TT, 03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans, 07 WRX STI, 03 R1150GSA, 78 R100/7, 01 Audi S4, 98 Audi A4, 98 R1200c, 78 GL1000, 92 Accord coupe, 89 KE100
Old 04-15-2018, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

When I went to Detective school we were taught how to write a proper report: Remember the 4 Ws - who, what, when, where, and why, and written in chronological order.

Your writings are so vague that I am having a hard time understanding what crime (if any) was committed.

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 04-15-2018, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Sounds like you never legally owned it if you didn’t title it?
Old 04-15-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: