Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Someone with a discerning eye please

Silver 993 6spd coupe for sale. I'm not much good on spotting body panel incongruities. Can someone take a look and determine any possible issues:

https://www.waltgracevintage.com/1995-porsche-993-coupe
Old 04-29-2018, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I certainly don't claim to have a discerning eye, but the car looks pretty clean to me. I couldn't spot any panel gaps that looked out of place. Not a fan of the blue interior.

With 113k, I'm betting some of those were hard. Look for a carfax to put together an ownership string and of course any and all docs of service. BTW, there was no price on the link.

GL. I'd love to find a 'cheap' one of these to put on a heavy duty weight loss program.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 04-29-2018, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Missing stone guards, so it has had a repaint.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
shh-the robot is sleeping

I marked up a few pics below. Just my thoughts. Hard to tell not seeing it in person. Consider this as areas to inspect more closely.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
shh-the robot is sleeping

Old 04-29-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Don't ask me, I bought this one, and still thought it was beautiful!

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 04-29-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
dVD should get paid for such analysis!
78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 04-29-2018, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I think if you decide which model car you want to drive then you can research the MY and figure out simple things like the speedo swap on the SC you posted about.

It would help you if you stop looking at driver quality cars as investments. The 993 is completely different beast to the 911SC. No car should be part of your retirement package, its an appliance you enjoy. Secondly, you have no idea if down the road the car will need a rebuild, or major work. A SC motor rebuild usually costs far less than a 993 to re build. If you research this you can put aside money for a what if scenario. But more importantly you as a buyer will know about the cars. You have to do some of the work.

The PPI is not necessarily a helpful document and will not catch everything. You as the used car buyer need some knowledge of what you are getting into. Yes this community can help with knowledge and DIY but its up to you, and based on the turds you post It seems like you are on a set budget but yet you want a Porsche that will retain its value and ideally make some $, a 1-2 car for condition 3-4 money.

You should look what you want a 911 for, research and test drive every model you are interested in, then you will be able to make simple analysis and really focus your search instead of asking everyone else for their opinion on a lot of average driver cars that you as a buyer should be able to filter out. Secondly can you afford a Porsche ? If you can't DIY and cant pay shop prices, and more importantly do you have rainy day money above the purchase price ?

Look carefully at the pictures, read everything you can about 993's. Right now your present as a late comer who still thinks there is meat on the bone. There is nothing more valuable in buying a used Porsche than knowing what you are looking at. Why not enlist the help of someone who actually knows these cars ?

Theres a fairly regular flow of people who come on here asking about grainy pics, and what we think of this weeks turd. If the person asking the question had researched the exact model not only would they be a more informed buyer, the peanut gallery here would be able to actually help you.

Last edited by msort81; 04-30-2018 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 04-30-2018, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with MSORT81 assessment....you are all over the map in terms of what you are looking and what you think you need---pick a model and a certain type of years WITHIN that model and know it well and go with that. This is not an investment as noted and you will not find the golden egg but instead chasing a shadow for the next few months, years trying to obtain some car that you are not dialed into

You mentioned in other threads, that you owned 911's before---What models and what years were they?

1967 912 Coupe
1985 911 Carrera
1967 MGB GT
Old 04-30-2018, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with MSORT81 assessment....you are all over the map in terms of what you are looking and what you think you need---pick a model and a certain type of years WITHIN that model and know it well and go with that. This is not an investment as noted and you will not find the golden egg but instead chasing a shadow for the next few months, years trying to obtain some car that you are not dialed into

You mentioned in other threads, that you owned 911's before---What models and what years were they?

1967 912 Coupe
1985 911 Carrera
1967 MGB GT
Old 04-30-2018, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69porsche View Post

I have owned a 1990 manual 964 coupe and a 997 coupe. I have been researching Porsches and talking experts for almost a decade now. As I have mentioned before, I am not going to paint myself into a corner and limit myself to one particular Porsche. My only specifics are that it be an aircooled, manual coupe. Why is that a problem? I love Porsches...period. I am not making anyone respond to my posts. I joined the pelican community in order to seek the advice of experts and people far more knowledgeable than I. I know the major issues of all the different models, but beyond that, I am looking for advice on all the other quirks of each example that I present. And I am not looking for an investment. Cars are the worst investment one can make. I just don't want to buy something on the high end. I realize I sold my 964 for 3xs what I paid, but that was just good timing. I am not looking to do that again. I want a Porsche for the driving experience. I have driven MYs, SCs, 3.2s and 993s. Everyone of those offers a phenomenal driving experience, and I'm not partial to any.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Got your PM

I own my own home. How bout you? Yes, I can afford a Porsche and the maintenance. Please don't condescend to me. I'm doing just fine on the financial front. Step down from the pulpit, because I don't appreciate your little sermon, dad.

LOL
No need to PM me or get personal suggesting I'm preaching. You are the buyer who refuses to do simple research.

If you have no real interest in the car beyond what its worth you don't invest time really researching the model that suits you, and can do what you want it to. Instead you just ask the peanut gallery to do your work for you, and your concern is, 'will a used car hold or add value'. You don't ask for comparisons Middie vs SC vs 993 or discuss of what you want to do with the car, no plans beyond purchase and yet you profess to know 911's

I've had a sign on my desk for years: Time is Money, you can interpret that in many ways, i always believe time spent saves me money, seems like you dont know what you are looking at and so the word of everyone else will dictate how you spend your money.

In the end I could not care less if you end up with the turd that you deserve. The peanut gallery made the call on the ugly red SC thats been hanging around for ever. I would not add to the comments of good versus bad points on your next round of posts but will continue to be amused at your ignorance and arrogance, and contribute where i see fit. Smile wavy
Old 05-01-2018, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Kansas PP join date: March 2018.
Way too short a period of time to help out.
Let's not.
Let's criticize, and flame instead.
Hell, let's repost his PM's, cause, he deserves it.
Grab the pitchforks and torches! We've got another one to hang.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Some of the gaps in question above are definitely normal and not wider than the should be like the rear bumper to quarter. That’s by design and no other way to fit. The front looks a little awkward in a few areas
Old 05-01-2018, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I seriously think people want to help out, but it helps if the OP gives the background on what MY he is looking for or a certain series and what his thought process on cars so it can narrow the choice or guide in a way he does not get screwed.......It's not like the other post on another thread were the guy duped half of the forum readers into believing he got the shaft over a NOT having a toolkit and it was his "first 911" until the truth came out and that OP got his ass handed to him pretending to be someone he's not....different case and I wish this potential buyer all the best.

1967 912 Coupe
1985 911 Carrera
1967 MGB GT
Old 05-01-2018, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
My opinion, which is worth the .02 cents people are willing to pay for it, is this:

We have become too quick to rip people a new one and hang them out to dry on PPMF. I don't see this type of criticism or mob mentality on other car forums (well maybe BaT but that's different), and it's unattractive and sometimes downright ugly. It is reminiscent of some social and news media (channels), of which I choose not to subscribe, nor will I discuss.

We're here to assess, gain knowledge and maybe even contribute about the Porsche marketplace. I don't have to comment on every thread, nor do I. If a guy is all over the place and wasting his time, that's his problem. I sure as hell don't have the responsibility or need to straighten him out, but I'll help him if I can. It's the Porsche people, remember?

I was taught that if I don't have anything nice to say, to not say anything at all. I think that still rings true today, especially in print.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
^
��
Nobody is forcing you to comment.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
My opinion, which is worth the .02 cents people are willing to pay for it, is this:

We have become too quick to rip people a new one and hang them out to dry on PPMF. I don't see this type of criticism or mob mentality on other car forums (well maybe BaT but that's different), and it's unattractive and sometimes downright ugly. It is reminiscent of some social and news media (channels), of which I choose not to subscribe, nor will I discuss.

We're here to assess, gain knowledge and maybe even contribute about the Porsche marketplace. I don't have to comment on every thread, nor do I. If a guy is all over the place and wasting his time, that's his problem. I sure as hell don't have the responsibility or need to straighten him out, but I'll help him if I can. It's the Porsche people, remember?

I was taught that if I don't have anything nice to say, to not say anything at all. I think that still rings true today, especially in print.
Can you pm me an address to send the payment? I'll buy this for a dollar.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-01-2018, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Can you pm me an address to send the payment? I'll buy this for a dollar.
Check PM
(it's up your butt)
Old 05-01-2018, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Check PM
(it's up your butt)
Now that wasn't very nice.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-01-2018, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: