Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
steve 911T SWB..

Garage
Clubsport steering wheel ??

Hi friends,

I bought a nice 84 Carrera 3,2 and it had this steering wheel on it ...

As itís not really my taste I am thinking of selling it.
I tried the reserch function but the last wheel was sold 2 years ago..
So first could you identify my wheel , I think itís a real one not an aftermarket, and could I have an idea of its value today?

Thanks to all
Steve

Old 05-17-2018, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like a 930 S SW. Not certain of the value but I'd be interested in purchasing once you decide on a $ amount.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
steve 911T SWB..

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by urseppos View Post
Looks like a 930 S SW. Not certain of the value but I'd be interested in purchasing once you decide on a $ amount.
ok noted ...

that is my problem... don t want to get rich with it but i saw prices that vary from 400 to 1200 usd so not easy to understand what is a correct price for both of us ..
Old 05-18-2018, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Nice looking wheel. I have a Atiwe 930S wheel on my car. It's my favorite 911 steering wheel.

Your's has the split seam at the bottom spoke. Those are the good ones vs the ones with the 'seamless glued on' bottom spoke.

Not sure on value. I paid $425 a couple years ago for a near perfect wheel with hub and mine wasn't the split seam one either.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonizzos View Post
ok noted ...

that is my problem... don t want to get rich with it but i saw prices that vary from 400 to 1200 usd so not easy to understand what is a correct price for both of us ..
Sounds about right.

$400 would be good for ursepos, $1200 would be good for you.

Are you looking for a trade ?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
steve 911T SWB..

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Sounds about right.

$400 would be good for ursepos, $1200 would be good for you.

Are you looking for a trade ?
not realy in for a trade , tried to find posts where an original is being sold but unfortunately the price is canceled after the sell and it's not easy to find a real one for sell... found out that the Atiwe wheels sell arround 400-450 and some guy wrote that an original sells for more than the double but that if you dont take the wheel appart you don't see the difference ...

i would be glad to sell it to a 930 owner who cas a car with sport wheel option but doesn't have the sport wheel ... i will try to post a sell later this evening ... it's 7:35 PM here in Europe ... have to see what shipping costs are etc

but in any case urseppos will have the first opportunity as he was the first to answer to my post and he is interested .... i think that is correct to do

steve
Old 05-18-2018, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
^^^
Just asking. Didn't know it is already for sale ?

Yes, that's the problem when sellers delete the prices and posts after.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
steve 911T SWB..

Garage
Quote:
^^^
Just asking. Didn't know it is already for sale ?

Yes, that's the problem when sellers delete the prices and posts after.
i wrote that i wanted to sell it in a real sale post but was not sure of the originality and the value ...

Old 05-18-2018, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc100porsche View Post
Link's not showing.

Have a pic of the actual product ?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
steve 911T SWB..

Garage
Quote:
Link's not showing.

Have a pic of the actual product ?
it's this one
https://www.classicshop.porsche.com/pcos/zentralseite/sportlenkrad-ohne-airbag-in-schwarz-fuer-porsche-911-000043161008yr.html

but the link is from a u t o a t l a n t a ...

i think it's this one ... but i this are the repros not the original ones ?

Last edited by tonizzos; 05-18-2018 at 10:25 PM..
Old 05-18-2018, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Yeah, current repros and the "real thing" meaning one original to a factory car can't be considered the same thing. Period replacements are also not the same as either the two above.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
gearhead

This one is really. $500-600.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 05-19-2018, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
steve 911T SWB..

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
This one is really. $500-600.
thanks Matt for the quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Atiwe is the manufacturer of the "real" ones also. It is Type 32.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
If the new $572version at AA is made by Porsche and is identical why is it considered a Repro ?
Isn’t it just a new Porsche Wheel ?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Porsche don't make steering wheels. The "930S" wheel is made by Aitwe - and you can buy it direct from them, or through Porsche for twice the price (which makes the embossed horn pad - which used to be the only difference - a pretty darned expensive option)....

Does that make the Aitwe - an aftermarket wheel Porsche "enhanced" slightly by adding their trademarked crest - a "repro" because it's half the price and doesn't come in a Porsche box? If you could actually order a 968 CS horn pad (PET has a part # for that, but not for the 930S) they'd be indistinguishable - because, like, same wheel.

The so-called "930S" wheel is not actually usually found in 930S cars. The 1988 factory brochure covering those cars apparently shows all 3 of the wheel types normally fitted to those cars instead, and not the Aitwe wheel at all... As 1989 was the last year for the 930, if they were standard fitment, it could only have been for one year...

The Aitwe wheel was factory fitment on the 968 Club Sport, however.

The wheels sold by Porsche through Techquipment are Aitwe Typ 32 / KBA 70111 wheels in 36cm. The only difference for years between the Techquipment wheels and the aftermarket ones (where it's also known as the Indianapolis or Formel wheel, and there's also a 32cm version for hot hatches, as well as a Typ 39 39cm version) is the embossed Porsche (trademarked) crest. The current Porsche offering - the Sport Classic - adds embossed "PORSCHE" lettering around the edge of the wheel to the horn pad. Make sure you're sitting down before you check the price...

The wheel in the original post doesn't appear to be marked Aitwe. although it seems to use the 3 screw fixings the Aitwe does, and a similar horn ring system (which actually looks like it might be entirely missing in the photo - does the horn work? I've got several Aitwe repair horn repair kits spare if needed).

i don't recognise the logo on the spoke. The Aitwe wheels don't put a logo there - the manufacturers markings are all on the back side of the spoke (including, usually, "Made In Italy", despite Aitwe being a German company, based in Germany). However, Aitwe is part of a group of companies with about 12 different "tuner" brands; possible it's one of those.

In 2005, in response to a thread discussing the leather color/finish/grain and construction differences (grey-ish, bumpy, matt, with seam vs black, smooth and semi-matt, no seam) Wayne explained that:

Quote:
Just want to jump in to clear up a few things.

- This '930S wheel" is a standard Aitwe that Porsche chose to use on the 930S cars, with a custom embossed crest in the center. This wheel is available with many different hub adapters, and is simply a standard aftermarket wheel (like the MOMO wheels) from the 1980s. I have installed one on my BMW 3-Series previously.

- The "original" Porsche one and the "later" ones are made by the same company, and are the same wheel, with a few minor changes / improvements that have been made over the years (very few parts are manufactured the same way today as they were many years ago). It's the same with the Prototipos that are available for new today - they are very, very similar to the older ones, but not 100% exactly like the older ones. I would hesitate to call these "repro" wheels, as they are manufactured by the OEM manufacturer. If you follow that logic, you'd have to call the new MOMO Prototipo wheels "repros" then.

- As for quality, the newer wheels are still very well made, although with everything these days, modern manufacturing methods often sacrifice fit and trim for production costs (there are some exceptions, of course). Very few people have been unhappy with the wheels that we have sold.

Finally, that seam down the center of the wheel reminds me of the fellow who came in to unclog my toilet! I'm sure that the more modern version of the wheel has been redesigned with that "feature" removed in order to improve the asthetics.

Hope this info helps!

-Wayne
in this post 930S steering wheels - comparison

In actual fact, google "968 Club Sport interior" and it appears that 968 Club Sport cars were supplied with both types of wheel - with/without the seam. I had always thought the "seamless" version was older (as all the ones since 2005 or so have come with the seam) - but apparently not.

I much prefer my wheel matching my black interior without the fugly seam anyway...
Old 05-30-2018, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
i don't recognise the logo on the spoke. The Aitwe wheels don't put a logo there - the manufacturers markings are all on the back side of the spoke (including, usually, "Made In Italy", despite Aitwe being a German company, based in Germany). However, Aitwe is part of a group of companies with about 12 different "tuner" brands; possible it's one of those.
Believe this is referred to as the "porsche triangle" a symbol used on "genuine" porsche parts (vs oem versions) -- see, e.g. SC windshield Porsche dealer, vs Sekurit at post 7
Old 05-30-2018, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: