Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
More cars than sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
If Maninblack set the reserve @ $100K, someone is fixing to get a SMOKING deal.
Let's all relax. I can assure you that's not going to happen.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
Let's all relax. I can assure you that's not going to happen.
As I mentioned in a previous post on this turbo Carrera I posted BAT is hardly a benchmark in value, somewhat surprised other than a good place for the exposure, assuming from your large collection you have bought and sold Porsche before. The 930 is an emerging market situation as important model Ferrari, Aston, Mercedes (300SL) etc was in the past. When selling a exceptional car like yours the best I have always gotten was an in person ride and drive with PPI etc.
Another value upgrade seems to be if a 930 was built new with CA emissions.
Second was a major auction where at least the buyer can inspect. Buyers usually hold back not knowing how good it really is. Maybe a interested buyer from BAT will come, see how nice yours really is and you will get a decent offer. Again Bat sales can be like a live auction and get good results but not very consistent, especially in the newer latest flavor of the day type of collector car that has not yet established a stable market value. I could be wrong about BAT, a few hours will tell.

Last edited by voitureltd; 05-24-2018 at 09:53 AM..
Old 05-24-2018, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
More cars than sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
As I mentioned in a previous post BAT is hardly a benchmark in value, assuming from your collection you have bought and sold Porsche before. The 930 is an emerging market situation as important model Ferrari, Aston, Mercedes (300SL) etc was in the past. When selling a exceptional car like yours the best I have always gotten was an in person ride and drive with PPI etc. Another value upgrade seems to be if was delivered with CA emissions.
Second was a major auction where at least the buyer can inspect. Buyers usually hold back not knowing how good it really is. Maybe a interested buyer from BAT will come, see how nice it really is and you will get a decent offer. Again Bat sales can be like a live auction and get good results but not very consistent, especially in the newer latest flavor of the day type of collector car that has not yet established a stable market value. I could be wrong about bat, in a few hours will know.
I don't necessarily disagree with any of your comments. Like you said, we'll know soon.

One advantage this car has on BaT is that it's fairly well-known in the community due to it's decade+ long history of being displayed at Hershey. It's also been seen by many prominent Porsche enthusiasts as part of my collection and many of these third-parties have already posted on my auction as to the condition of the car and my integrity as a seller. Has to help but who know? It's been fun regardless.

If it doesn't sell, I won't be taking private offers. My wife is already pressuring me to escape the TX heat in August and take the car to Monterey. Not a bad backup plan.

Last edited by maninblack; 05-24-2018 at 10:15 AM..
Old 05-24-2018, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree with any of your commentss. Like you said, we'll know soon.

One advantage this car has on BaT is that it's fairly well-known in the community due to it's decade+ long history of being displayed at Hershey. It's also been seen by many prominent Porsche enthusiasts as part of my collection and many of these third-parties have already posted on my auction as to the condition of the car and my integrity as a seller. Has to help but who know? It's been fun regardless.

If it doesn't sell, I won't be taking private offers. My wife is already pressuring me to escape the TX heat in August and take the car to Monterey. Not a bad backup plan.
Good idea. I will look forward to seeing it there if a NS on BAT. My son and I may be bringing his high miles but restored great color and mint, a major concours winning 1978 930 that recently flopped on BAT. It's been a few years since going, always a good time. Quite sure it will get way more than the BAT bidders. Oh and there is a Voiture that posts on BAT and it is not me. Good luck with you car.

Last edited by voitureltd; 05-24-2018 at 10:24 AM..
Old 05-24-2018, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

High miles and mint- a rare combo.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc911s View Post
High miles and mint- a rare combo.
High miles?!? A 42 year old car with 42k miles on it is NOT what I consider high miles. Can’t imagine what you’d call a car that was actually driven on a daily basis...
Old 05-24-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
Good idea. I will look forward to seeing it there if a NS on BAT. My son and I may be bringing his HIGH MILES but restored great color and MINT, a major concours winning 1978 930 that recently flopped on BAT. It's been a few years since going, always a good time. Quite sure it will get way more than the BAT bidders. Oh and there is a Voiture that posts on BAT and it is not me. Good luck with you car.
JMS935- this is what I was referring to. NOT the car being auctioned.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Restored cars from excellent originals are in a different class than excellent originals.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Pass the crow on this BAT auction, looks like good bidding on a car that deserves a decent price.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Sold at $165k.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
You don't think Major concours judges know the difference between mint originals and well restored ones, that are restored from excellent originals? Mine was judged as exceptional in a restored class of very expensive sport cars @ Road and Track Concours and always admired when in a concours of many excellent originals ( similar to maninblacks car ) and restored Porsches. High miles of 120+k do not mean that much if a car is well cared for however wear items on almost all older cars, like paint losing its depth and mechanical items wear as seats do from use. This one I'm sure has had some things done to keep it looking and driving "mint" and bidders got a good deal as it was exceptional and by most definitions, unrestored. So again pass the crow as BAT bidders steped up, and got a really good one at a decent price.

Last edited by voitureltd; 05-24-2018 at 12:30 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Ah. You were referring to Anthony’s 930, the TMU maroon 930. I gotcha.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
More cars than sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlobeck View Post
I believe it will not meet its reserve.
Or it will sell at the highest price of any 3.0 turbo ever offered on BaT and only $1,000 less than the highest price ever realized for ANY 930 in the history of BaT.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Sure, we will say the judges know the difference. But it's the buyer/bidder that speaks the loudest in the auction format. And they spoke at $83,500 RNM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Sure, we will say the judges know the difference. But it's the buyer/bidder that speaks the loudest in the auction format. And they spoke at $83,500 RNM.
Read my last post. BAT is at times accurate but just one opinion. Not all buyers follow BAT. Maninblack has shown this car for over a decade and his car is well known by some that have seen it in person that either bought it or made very positive comments which the bidders believed. Being a collector and exotic car dealer almost 40 years I am very familiar how auctions can be good or bad for certain cars. That is why I advised my son not to use BAT for that particular car I gave him as it must be seen and driven to appreciate what it is. Now if I were to use BAT after seeing the outcome of this sale it would be my Mint original 79 930 in rare color, all history from the long time 1st CA owner and delivered new from RUSNAK, Pasadena, ( CA emissions delivery ) now with 34K miles. In the recent past I have had mint early 930s with the original air from new still in the tires that maybe now would also do well on BAT because of the irrefutable provenance, unassailable by many that comment negatively on that site.

Last edited by voitureltd; 05-24-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Oh forgot some photos It is 30T, I like to call it ice blue met , book ends with my ice green 77 turbo carrera, photos previously posted in post#14

Last edited by voitureltd; 05-24-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
I'm just glad the price finally jumped to $140k. I was trying to figure out how to explain my purchase to the wife tonight. For $120k I could learn to love White interior.
"Honey it's and investment that's better than that crazy stock market..."
Old 05-24-2018, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats, to both seller/buyer, great car. You shouldn’t hang your hat on having the highest sale price on Bat. Think of what you could’ve gotten if the car was well sorted, especially at a real auction house. And I couldn’t think your reserve would be so low.

Quote:
Or it will sell at the highest price of any 3.0 turbo ever offered on BaT and only $1,000 less than the highest price ever realized for ANY 930 in the history of BaT.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
More cars than sense

Quote:
Congrats, to both seller/buyer, great car. You shouldn’t hang your hat on having the highest sale price on Bat. Think of what you could’ve gotten if the car was well sorted, especially at a real auction house. And I couldn’t think your reserve would be so low.
Both Gooding and RM Sotheby's wanted the car and both advised me their sale estimate was $180k. Looking at recent sales, including a similar car in AZ last January, I concur.

$180k would have netted me $162k after commissions. Less transport fees, catalog fees, detail fees, and travel/hotel costs as they insist you or a representative are on site, I figure I would have cleared $150k or so. And that's not including my time at $1,000 per hour.

I did well at $165k and the car found a great new home.

Quote:
I believe it will not meet its reserve.
Give me a break. Grandstand experts around here.

Last edited by maninblack; 05-24-2018 at 02:14 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
gearhead

I'll never understand people who make a couple million dollars a year announcing it to the internet. That's not even a humble brag. That's a douchebag brag.

If you really make $1000/hr you pay someone $100/hr to do it for you or you do it because you want to do it. You don't do it in lieu of working and making money.
2008 Cayman S Mule

Last edited by Matt Monson; 05-24-2018 at 03:02 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: