Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How to sell my 912

Hello all,
I am planning to sell my 68 912 and I need your opinions/advice as this is a rather unique situation.
The car currently has a FAT Performance 2056 Type 4 (Dyno sheet at 160hp) in it and runs very well. The swap was done a few months ago and nothing was cut in the car. Only 2 brackets were welded to the bottom of the frame and could be ground off or just left there if the type 4 is removed. I do have the original engine in my garage (I believe it is likely original because the engine # falls within the correct range, but will get a COA ordered soon). The original engine was rebuilt under the PO and bored out to 1720. That engine also runs very well with lots of power (but nowhere near the power of the FAT engine!). The transmission was rebuilt by Rancho a few months ago and 5th gear was swapped to a taller Z gear for more relaxed freeway cruising.
So my question is: what is the best way to sell the car. The way I see it, there are a few options:
1. Sell the entire package. This is by far my preferred approach, however I realize the buyer will not be able to test the original engine and may balk at that option.
2. Remove the type 4, sell that separately and put in the original engine. This way, whoever buys the type 4 will be able to actually run it before buying.
What do you all think?
I'm open to other options as well so feel free to throw suggestions at me.
Thanks
Old 06-04-2018, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'd put the original engine back in and sell the Type IV separately. It's going to bring more money that way. That way you won't have the entire peanut gallery calling you out that you put a VW engine in it. People look down on 912s with Type I or Type IV engines in them (think 912E- it still doesn't get the respect it deserves and Porsche put it in there). It's going to bring far more money with the Porsche engine back in.

Also, the COA won't tell you the correct engine number anymore. You have to give them your number, and if it's the right one, they will let you know. Still, no matter what the Porsche engine is the way to go.

Pics would be nice.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Will take more pics soon.
This FAT type 4 is NOTHING like a stock 912E engine. I've driven a 912E and this thing is a beast compared to a 912E. I have always been intrigued about this swap so I went ahead and did it. I guess this is the next best thing if you don't have the deep pockets for a Polo engine. I will probably end up putting the original 616 back in for the sale.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

In my opinion I would leave it as is and sell it as a package deal. The new owner could enjoy a more powerful engine for now and put the original motor back in the car someday. That is the way that I would want it.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Personally, I think what you've got is super cool. I love 912's and always have as it was my first Porsche in 1971. Your car sounds like (and looks) like the best of both worlds to me.

912's have jumped in value as you probably know. Sure the all original, patina'd, low mile, hens teeth models will bring the most dough, but hot rod lovers like me would be excited to own a car like this. Nobody mentioned rust...you should mention it as being absent or taken care of. You don't mention suspension mods either.

Sell the package. Try to verify the matching numbers engine. That would be important, to me anyway, even though it wasn't in the car. I'd rather have a 912 with 160HP anyway with the original engine sitting on a pallet.

Priced correctly, this car won't last a week in the classifieds. I passed on a 912 with a 911 engine in it 5 years ago, and have regretted it ever since. I understand the Type 4 isn't a 911 engine, but at 160hp, I'm sure it gets the job done.

Cool car.

Nick
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 06-05-2018, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
gearhead

Sell it as is. This is exactly what I would have built with my 67 if I had kept it. I bet it is wicked fun. If you get a real buyer who wants the original engine back in it, that’s a negotiation point. Otherwise offer it as is, with the coa. Awesome car.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 06-05-2018, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Sell it as is with the 912 engine out of it but included in the price, I know a few guys who have done this to get the performance and no worry about damage etc to the #'s matching engine and value down the road. Would have more appeal to me for sure if I was looking.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here's a shot showing the custom exhaust (by A1 in OC) and the 912E engine bar mounting. As far as rust, the floors were redone by PO and all structural points appear solid (to my untrained eyes anyway). When the time comes, I can have it up in the air at my mechanic and take more pics of critical areas. All rear bushings have been replaced with Elephant rubber, new Bilsteins in the rear. Front suspension has not yet been done but it seems to drive fine for now. Something I was planning to do later if I kept the car.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

As is.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
As others have stated (and I just sold a numbers matching 67 912) keep it as is and include the matching #/correct motor.

MattR
Old 06-05-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
gearhead

Just to add, to me having the numbers matching engine on a pallet is better than in the car. Not only is it matching, but I can open it up and go through it before I ever put it in. But if the FAT engine is healthy, that's not something I would even be thinking about on the front end. That's after 5-10 years of ownership when I'm looking to sell and get max money for it after having my fun.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 06-05-2018, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvan8 View Post

Will take more pics soon.
This FAT type 4 is NOTHING like a stock 912E engine. I've driven a 912E and this thing is a beast compared to a 912E. I have always been intrigued about this swap so I went ahead and did it. I guess this is the next best thing if you don't have the deep pockets for a Polo engine. I will probably end up putting the original 616 back in for the sale.
It was not meant to be a comparison to your engine. But it's a Type IV VW engine nonetheless.

People are saying keep it in. I still say put the Porsche engine in, sell the Type IV separately. With the 912 market the way it is people are going for them with the old engine. You'd make the most if you split.

What I would do is think of a dream number that you want with a package deal, post it, and if it sells at that high dream number you got the job done. If you get guys wanting to know more about the Porsche engine, and get low-ball numbers, well then you will have your answer.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nice-looking 912. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I prefer the lines of a 912 over a 911. GLWS
Old 06-05-2018, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
You will make more money putting the original engine in the car and selling the hot rod type 4 separately than selling as a package deal.
Let's say your hot rod motor is worth between $7-10K sold separately. Will someone pay that over the price of a #'s matching 912 in your cars shape? because that is what they will have to do to = the package deal.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast54 View Post
Nice-looking 912. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I prefer the lines of a 912 over a 911. GLWS
You are better than me, I can not tell them apart.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
You will make more money putting the original engine in the car and selling the hot rod type 4 separately than selling as a package deal.
Let's say your hot rod motor is worth between $7-10K sold separately. Will someone pay that over the price of a #'s matching 912 in your cars shape? because that is what they will have to do to = the package deal.
Don't forget a $1000 labor or a weekend of your own time to make the switch back in your math.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 06-05-2018, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Don't forget a $1000 labor or a weekend of your own time to make the switch back in your math.
Good point.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

All good points, thanks for the replies. I'm pleasantly surprised to see so much "hot rod support" :-)
Now I really regret not documenting (through a detailed video) how the original engine ran before removing it, so that the next buyer can rest assured it's a good engine. On that note, would running the original engine on a bench and obtaining compression/leakdown numbers be sufficient to prove its health? I was thinking maybe I can drop it off to a shop and have that done rather than swapping it back in if a buyer wanted the whole package.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
You should start getting offers ‘bout now.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast54 View Post
You probably are in the minority because they're the same car with different engines. Is the tailpipe considered a body line?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: