Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 4-Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcooper View Post
Yeah, but am I guilty of stalking if I find my stolen car with a tracker and wait outside someone's house for the police to come?
Funny. Maybe loitering though.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
It is exactly how our laws work. If an asset is financed and used as collateral it becomes a liabilty on a balance sheet, not an asset. The bank owns your house/car, in layman's terms "by lien".

"A lien is a legal right granted by a law or otherwise acquired by a creditor. A lien serves to guarantee an underlying obligation, such as the repayment of a loan. If the underlying obligation is not satisfied, the creditor may be able to seize the asset that is the subject of the lien.

Once executed, a lien becomes the legal right of a creditor to sell the*collateral*property of a*debtor*who fails to meet the obligations of a loan or other contract. The property that is the subject of a lien cannot be sold by the owner without the consent of the lien holder.

A lien is often granted when an individual takes out a loan from a bank to purchase an automobile. The individual purchases the vehicle and pays the seller using the funds from the bank, but grants the bank a lien on the vehicle. If the individual does not repay the loan, the bank may execute the lien, seize the vehicle, and sell it to repay the loan. If the individual does repay the loan in full, the lien holder (the bank) then releases the lien, and the individual owns the property free and clear of any liens."
Old 06-13-2018, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Basically, you don't own it unless you can sell it. (Without another signature)
And
"All language is subject to interpretation"
Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I’m done arguing with you
Old 06-13-2018, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Why, because he's right? Sorry, but you're talking out of your ass, with only a partial understanding of the law. Name on the title means very little if there's a legal note on the collateral. Fun fact #1: some (many? most?) dealers retain title to a financed vehicle. We did. The big nationwide dealers do. Makes for less paperwork under repossession, and (at least here, could vary by jurisdiction) means less exposure because we don't have to finance sales tax on the entire purchase price, but instead charge sales tax on the monthly payments, so our risk was 13% less. Fun fact #2: repossession of a financed vehicle does not require any court proceedings whatsoever, so long as the initial lease/loan agreement is written up properly. Find the car, use spare key or tow truck, take car, redeem upon payment or sell car. Done. We've done it countless times, whether the title was in our name or the customer's. Our DMV even has a special transfer code for repossession title transfers without the signature of the customer. BTW, dealers are loathe to repossess - it's always a money losing proposition. It's just a case of mitigating loss. GPS trackers make a significant impact on that.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Why can't anyone on the Internet ever just say, "I wasn't aware of everything you brought up and stand corrected".

Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevoice View Post
Why can't anyone on the Internet ever just say, "I wasn't aware of everything you brought up and stand corrected".

I wasn't aware that I was arguing?

The strange part is the title and first sentence of the article he referenced......

When the government places a location monitor on you or your stuff, it could be violating the Fourth Amendment.

and

If the government puts a GPS tracker on you, your car, or any of your personal effects, it counts as a search—and is therefore protected by the Fourth Amendment.

It's like he didn't read it, or missed "THE GOVERNMENT"
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Here is the code for California. Looks to me like car dealers and other legal owners/lien holders are in the clear, if permission to track is part of the contract. Reads like that is the only allowable use, but is anyone really going to argue I can't track my own car in the event it is stolen?

California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 637.7

(a) No person or entity in this state shall use an electronic tracking device to determine the location or movement of a person.

(b) This section shall not apply when the registered owner, lessor, or lessee of a vehicle has consented to the use of the electronic tracking device with respect to that vehicle.

(c) This section shall not apply to the lawful use of an electronic tracking device by a law enforcement agency.

(d) As used in this section, “electronic tracking device” means any device attached to a vehicle or other movable thing that reveals its location or movement by the transmission of electronic signals.

(e) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.

(f) A violation of this section by a person, business, firm, company, association, partnership, or corporation licensed under Division 3 (commencing with Section 5000) of the Business and Professions Code shall constitute grounds for revocation of the license issued to that person, business, firm, company, association, partnership, or corporation, pursuant to the provisions that provide for the revocation of the license as set forth in Division 3 (commencing with Section 5000) of the Business and Professions Code .
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: