Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Classified Ads > R1100S Bikes and Parts For Sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Iso hp2s

I am in the market for another bike. Interested in an HP2S with reasonable miles, no stories, documented maintenance is paramount. I am Greater LA. Prefer PM. Thank you.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
No affiliation with bike or seller, I saw this a few weeks ago.

HP2 Sport on BMW MOA Classifieds
2003 R1100S BCR #73
1998 R1200C
1968 R60/2
1966 R50/2
Old 11-05-2018, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWR502 View Post
No affiliation with bike or seller, I saw this a few weeks ago.

HP2 Sport on BMW MOA Classifieds
Thanks for the lead, any and all appreciated.

Asking is high, by almost $4k for a 3300 mile bike. Most of the ones I have seen for sale are in the same low mileage bracket with asking of around $16k. Very little description of the actual bike's condition. Some were tracked, some dropped. Part of the appeal for me is the softening of the market.

I would be interested in a higher mileage bike with full service history. No track, no "dropped in the driveway" stories.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZAMIRZ
Have you tried contacting all the sellers of the ones posted on raresportbikesforsale.com?

If you do a search for BMW, there are a lot of HP2Ss that have been posted for sale on eBay that did not find a buyer, you could probably start from there. You can also try emailing BaT, they may have had one submitted that was passed on, may be they can put you in touch with the buyer for a fee or something.

The problem you're going to run into with a WTB thread is that the clean ones are sitting with someone you're going to have to pry it from (the market doesn't "soften" on those bikes), and the used ones are probably a little too well-used if you're intending on buying, adding a few miles and hoping to park your cash somewhere safe.

If I were you, I'd go look at the yellow R1200S that's for sale in Ventura. I think it was posted here not long ago, but it's also on Craigslist. I thought real hard about pursuing this bike, but for my intended purpose it did not make sense to buy a cream puff and start piling on the miles.

'83 911SC
'07 R1200S
Old 11-05-2018, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirefriar View Post
Thanks for the lead, any and all appreciated.

Asking is high, by almost $4k for a 3300 mile bike. Most of the ones I have seen for sale are in the same low mileage bracket with asking of around $16k. Very little description of the actual bike's condition. Some were tracked, some dropped. Part of the appeal for me is the softening of the market.

I would be interested in a higher mileage bike with full service history. No track, no "dropped in the driveway" stories.
Tirefriar - I'm not sure you can call it "a softening of the market", the reality is that prices are fairly stable. Exactly 2 years ago I paid 15k on the nose for a 2010 with 2k on it, bone stock, no stories, on consignment at a dealership - I took title from the 1st owner who passed away. Iirc prices briefly dipped in to the 12k range a few years after they came out.....so, if anything they have seem to have settled in the 14-16 range, with ambitious outliers asking closer to 20k.

Great bike. You won't regret it.

2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 11-06-2018, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ View Post
Have you tried contacting all the sellers of the ones posted on raresportbikesforsale.com?

If you do a search for BMW, there are a lot of HP2Ss that have been posted for sale on eBay that did not find a buyer, you could probably start from there. You can also try emailing BaT, they may have had one submitted that was passed on, may be they can put you in touch with the buyer for a fee or something.
Thanks for the heads up. I will check with rSBFS as well as BaT. As a side note, BaT's policy towards bikes is they want either no reserve or very low reserve. Could be the reason why the passed up on the bike you are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ View Post
If I were you, I'd go look at the yellow R1200S that's for sale in Ventura. I think it was posted here not long ago, but it's also on Craigslist. I thought real hard about pursuing this bike, but for my intended purpose it did not make sense to buy a cream puff and start piling on the miles.
I know the yellow R12S and the seller. Great bike and a stand up guy. Very knowledgeable in BMW, former Service Manager at one of Southern Cal's BMW dealers. You are right about not going wrong in dealing with him. I am not a huge fan of yellow. I don't know the full scope of the R12S color palette but the only color I can think of that I would want is black.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8 View Post
Tirefriar - I'm not sure you can call it "a softening of the market", the reality is that prices are fairly stable. Exactly 2 years ago I paid 15k on the nose for a 2010 with 2k on it, bone stock, no stories, on consignment at a dealership - I took title from the 1st owner who passed away. Iirc prices briefly dipped in to the 12k range a few years after they came out.....so, if anything they have seem to have settled in the 14-16 range, with ambitious outliers asking closer to 20k.

Great bike. You won't regret it.
Kevin, I think you did fantastic on your bike considering you got it 2 years ago. The ones that I've seen with sub 3k miles are all between $18k-$20k. There was one sold out Houston, can't recall seller's name that was a good deal but I was not in the market at that time.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I bought mine a few years back for South of $14k with around 13k miles on it. No stories, every service meticulously documented, mint condition, and it has all the appropriate modifications...probably a good $4k in modifications...and he gave me ALL the stock parts. I was looking for an R12S and that HP2 fell in my lap 30 miles away. He'd been trying to sell it for a while. I will never part with this motorcycle.

You will find one, but it might take a while. I still watch the HP2 market just for fun..mainly to laugh at the ridiculous prices folks list them for.

I'll keep an eye out for one as well for you. I can sometimes sniff out deals on vehicles.

Last edited by maverickma; 11-06-2018 at 05:00 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickma View Post
I bought mine a few years back for South of $14k with around 13k miles on it. No stories, every service meticulously documented, mint condition, and it has all the appropriate modifications...probably a good $4k in modifications...and he gave me ALL the stock parts. I was looking for an R12S and that HP2 fell in my lap 30 miles away. He'd been trying to sell it for a while. I will never part with this motorcycle.

You will find one, but it might take a while. I still watch the HP2 market just for fun..mainly to laugh at the ridiculous prices folks list them for.

I'll keep an eye out for one as well for you. I can sometimes sniff out deals on vehicles.
Yours is a success story in my book. I don't do well with ultra low mileage bikes as I stress every time I put miles on them or hear a pebble bounce off a fairing. I appreciate your kind offer to let me know if you hear of something. I am not in a hurry as I have other bikes to ride in the meantime.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I bought mine for $19K in June of 2012. Had 812 miles on it and a full Akro Titanium exhaust. It is a 2010. He also provided a brand new valve cover because there was a small scratch on the original one. I still have it wrapped and stored as I can barely see the scratch. I feel like I could have gotten the bike for a little less back then but I have no buyer's remorse and I have no intention of ever selling it. It's my family heirloom bike. Those CF valve covers are stupid expensive but they are beautifully made. I should display it in my home as a piece of art. To get the bike set up for me, I did have to go for different mirrors as the ones that came on it are useless in the real world. I also brought the bars up a bit, added a carbon fiber hugger for the rear wheel. Why it did not come with that was beyond me. This is not a bike that gets ridden all that much as I have others for eating up miles. But, on a perfect riding day, in the mountains of VT, it is quite an experience to ride. The biggest issue I have with the bike is the telelever front end. I have been riding this setup for years but I can really feel the impact on handling on this BMW. Not saying it does not handle well. I am saying that it handles really well in a peculiar "telelever" kind of way.

2011 R1200GS Adventure
2010 HP2 Sport
2015 KTM 500EXC
1976 R90/6
Old 11-07-2018, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Telever is better than conventional for aggressive road riding. Have your suspension set up properly by a professional suspension expert so the front end will work properly..
Old 11-07-2018, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Pacific Grove, CA

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/2009-bmw-hp2-sport-abs/6739366254.html
Old 11-07-2018, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

sungamma

Yeah, telelever equipped bikes handle and "feel" differently than conventionally suspended bikes. It does take some getting used to. On the one hand, no brake dive which is great. On the not so good side they can feel a bit "dead" compared to standard forks. I have a BCR equipped with Ohlins and it's a pretty good setup. On the other hand, I have an Aprilia Tuono Racing that has full Ohlins and forged aluminum wheels and there's NO comparison......
Old 11-07-2018, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
My basis of comparison on telelever is far from scientific and is full of variables. But my Ducati Monster initiated turns differently than any telelever bike I ever owned and every bike I have owned since 1995 has has a telelever front end. You could flick that thing corner to corner.... that said, the Monster was scary (comparatively speaking) over rough pavement. Skittish. Not a setup issue either as I spent considerable time dialing in the stock suspension. I did not have the upgraded suspension on the Monster and, when I saw the plating peeling off the bottom of the motor, I sold it.

2011 R1200GS Adventure
2010 HP2 Sport
2015 KTM 500EXC
1976 R90/6
Old 11-08-2018, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungamma View Post
I have a BCR equipped with Ohlins and it's a pretty good setup. On the other hand, I have an Aprilia Tuono Racing that has full Ohlins and forged aluminum wheels and there's NO comparison......

This.

Apples and oranges? Nahhhh. More like scalpel and boulder.

J.S.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
sungamma

No question, very different animals. Wouldn't even try to really compare the 2, but I like them both very much. As a matter of fact, I own one of each!.... :-)
Old 11-09-2018, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: