Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Classified Ads > R1100S Bikes and Parts For Sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fs 1999 bmw r1100s abs

I feel a little silly posting this bike here since nearly everyone already has one but I'll toss it up here anyways. This is a 1999 BMW R1100s w/ 41k on it that I have never quite meshed with it. Its in a strange place in my fleet where I have better bikes for touring use and better bikes for sporting use...and a rapidly decreasing amount of storage.

I purchased this last fall for a cross country trip that I had planned with my nephew. With the Ulysses broken and no time to remove the frame to repair it, i bought this then he bailed on the trip the next day. Damn millennials. I'm pretty sure that tainted this bike in my subconscious lizard brain.

Looking for $3000 or trade because that's always entertaining. Will gladly help with a fly and ride (and be a little jealous). That said, this is not a new bike, its one you can use and put away wet without feeling too guilty...think of it as a ten footer.

Tons of pics in the link below, feel free to ask for any other specific photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HDxsx2YkwgOwrrnx1

As my usual tendencies with any used bike, I brought all maintenance up to date changed all the fluids. I did the following @ 41000.

Crankcase Oil change (Mobil1 15-50 w/ Bosch filter)
Transmission oil change (Redline Synthetic Heavy Shockproof Gear oil, a HUGE improvement in shifting feel)
Final Drive oil change (Redline Synthetic Heavy Shockproof again)
Valve clearance inspection
Throttle body balanced @ idle and 2500 RPM
Replaced external fuel hoses with proper FI line
Replaced all INTERNAL fuel hoses and vent lines...even the $20 a foot 3mm ID submersible vent lines
New gaskets on the fuel filler and pump plate
Fuel filter
Serviced the K&N air filter
Bled the front brake system w/ Motul Synthetic Dot 5.1. Did not bleed the rear because I was planning an eventual ABSectomy on the bike
Installed an Odyssey PC680 w/ battery tender leads
Removed carbon canister

The Good:
Reasonably low miles @ 41k
ABS works great
Set of BMW system cases with touring lids key matched to the ignition
Remus stainless steel exhaust (sounds nice, sporty but not obnoxious)
K&N air filter
Re-wired HES (hall effect sensor)
HOT heated grips
Throttle lock bar ends
Nearly new front Roadsmart II tire
Looks good from 10 feet

The Bad:
The bike has seen a lot of New Mexico sun. Switchgear is pretty faded
Both valve covers are scratched up from tip overs, not crashes
Missing the left spark plug wire cover
Left front signal pod has been glued back together by PO
Right front signal pod has a broken tab at the gauge pod
Left hard bag does not lock against opening (red bar snapped)
Looks good from 10 feet

The Indifferent:
Bike has clear "paint protectors" all over it, probably since it left the showroom floor. They're getting worn out around the filler and knee areas and showing lots of fine scratches. I'd get out the wife's hair dryer to remove them and enjoy the nice BMW paint underneath
Its not new, there are seemingly random scratches in random places, some to the plastics
Seat has been recovered
Carbon front fender...but its pretty hazy with some cracks in the clear coat
Windscreen has microscratches all over it with some cracking around the mounting bolts (you don't look through it so it never bothered me)
Rear tire (Roadsmart II) is on its way out, probably 1k left in it for me. I do have a brand new RSII I can mount and balance for an additional $100)
Looks good from 10 feet

Old 04-20-2018, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Right around the corner from me (I'm in NE ABQ). You're selling what I think is the best overall bike I ever owned...PM me if you ride locally...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada - fun touring bike
Old 04-20-2018, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

PM sent!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey guys, just a crazy idea that just might work. I'm kicking around the idea of swinging up to Chicago next week for a family celebration. I could easily do a ride and fly and deliver the bike to you anywhere (within reason) in between Albuquerque and Chicago. Since I'll be adding at least 1300 miles to the bike to get to Chicago, I'll mount and balance a brand new tire on it before I leave.

And yes, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to ride this bike across the country, just expect it to have a little additional weight from the bugs I've slayed in my travels.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Okay. Well, I'm leaving today for Chicago w/ a day or so spent in the Ozarks for some fun. If you're in the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, or Illinois and want to see the bike, drop me a message.

Not sure about my return route just yet, I typically "plan" it the day before so I have the best weather data. I might end up taking a northerly route (Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado) just to mix up the roads a bit.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just wanted to say, have an enjoyable and safe trip. Someone will eventually buy the bike for sure. Doug
Old 05-01-2018, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

its a decent buy considering the work that's been done and considering that it has Remus and side cases, which are easily worth $800 alone. You may wish to spend a few bucks and get the plug cover and pillion cover, it will change the look and hence the appeal quite drastically. GLWS

Last edited by Tirefriar; 05-03-2018 at 06:09 AM..
Old 05-02-2018, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

SOLD to an excited new owner in Indiana. I pointed him towards this forum as it is a WEALTH of knowledge on these machines.

Ended up putting 2900 trouble free miles on it during my 9-state tour between New Mexico and Southern Indiana. Even sneaked in a little 600 mile 2-day trip with my young nephew, his first overnight/camp ride. He wants a BMW now.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tomvv11
Man, you really took the scenic tour to put on 2900 miles from NM to IN. Nice,
Old 05-22-2018, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: