Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Classified Ads > R1100S Bikes and Parts For Sale

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
B❤️Motorrad

2002 bmw r1100 s “boxer prep”

New to the site but need some advice right off the bat. What would be a decent price for this bike with 44k on the clock?
Mostly stock but with 2bros exhaust / cat eliminator, Bosch injector upgrade?
$3k seem about right?

Sorry I may have put this in the wrong place..I’m a potential buyer not the seller...

Last edited by brianshorn; 06-01-2018 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Pic
Old 06-01-2018, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
B❤️Motorrad

Well.... never mind.
I bought it ��
Old 06-02-2018, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

At $3k you did good. Thats about the bottom of the range on a clean R11S. Get yourself the pillion cover, unless its just missing in the photos. These covers have a tendency to fly off, especially if not secured properly. It will upgrade the look of the bike signficantly. Enjoy.

Last edited by Tirefriar; 06-02-2018 at 06:40 AM..
Old 06-02-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Can't go wrong for $3,000; congratulations.
98 MG Centauro V10
80 MG SP1000 [original owner]
Old 06-02-2018, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Birkenfelder

Garage
Excellent buy! I paid $4k for a near identical '02 Prep, 11K miles, system bags, like new condition, original owner...bought about 3 years ago. On your bike, based upon the rear shock and center stand, you might wish to do a VIN check to see if it is truly a Prep. Regardless, you did well...
Old 06-02-2018, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birkenfelder View Post
On your bike, based upon the rear shock and center stand, you might wish to do a VIN check to see if it is truly a Prep.
This is my '03 prep. Note the angle between the differential and paralever. On BCR's/genuine 'preps' - it's pretty much a straight line due to the shorter length of the torque arm which along with a longer front shock raises the machine for additional cam cover clearance which is useful when being ridden aggressively on track/road.

Also, as Birkenfelder mentioned: "based on the rear shock and center stand"

Possibility yours is fitted with an Wilbers shock which would explain what appears to be a blue spring - BCR's and Preps have yellow front/rear springs. Also, no BCR or prep was ever fitted with a center stand.

In any case - it appears to be a good buy. Enjoy

J.S.

Last edited by Jozef Schumann; 06-02-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Old 06-02-2018, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

B❤️Motorrad

Wow thanks for the info.
The center stand was added according to the seller.
It kind of seems aftermarket.
And it has no ABS? Which was a prep thing he said?
I don’t know. I’ll do more research.
I do know that I love it.
In fact I’m gonna go get lost on it right now
Old 06-02-2018, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshorn View Post
Wow thanks for the info.
The center stand was added according to the seller.
It kind of seems aftermarket.
And it has no ABS? Which was a prep thing he said?
I don’t know. I’ll do more research.
I do know that I love it.
In fact I’m gonna go get lost on it right now
1. not unusual for some owners to add the center stand.
2. preps were not offered with an ABS option - BCR's were.
3. enjoy your ride.

J.S.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
It could be me but that front end looks like it might be off a later model bike (320mm rotors)...I thought the Preps also came with smaller alternator, my 2001 Lite did...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada - fun touring bike
Old 06-02-2018, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
B❤️Motorrad

Maybe I have a “hybrid”?
I think that center stand is coming off. It sucks.
Rear tire isn’t even lifted when it’s down. And it’s not as stable as I’d like.
Some simple mods would make it better but I’m thinking it’s just dead weight.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Plug your VIN in here:

https://www.bmwvin.com/

Mine comes up as

Type Code 0432

E Series 259S ()

Series R

Type

Model R1100S (USA)

Steering

Doors 0

Engine 2-ZYL

Displacement 1.10

Power 72

Drive

Transmission MECH

Colour TITANSILBER METALLIC (764)

Upholstery (0000)

Prod. Date 2002-06-19

Vehicle options
X509A Reinforced power supply

X547A Sport suspension

X779A Wide tires
Old 06-02-2018, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToTheBown View Post
It could be me but that front end looks like it might be off a later model bike (320mm rotors)...I thought the Preps also came with smaller alternator, my 2001 Lite did...
'02< onward were fitted with larger brakes

Also, the preps had wider rear wheels just like the BCR's to accommodate a wider tire.

As is shown as per vin decode - mine also has the higher output alternator.

Plug in your VIN and see what you have.

J.S.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Rear tire isn’t even lifted when it’s down.

I'll wager dollars to donuts its a prep. Note the angle of the diff vs paralever I alluded to? It's fitted with the shorter torque arm which is why the wheel doesn't come off the ground on the center stand.

Could very possibly be a previous owner fitted standard non prep shocks, hence the blue springs. The standard shocks are valved more comfortably
- take a look at the front shock and see if it too has a blue spring. While looking at the shocks look for a manufacturers decal/sticker.

Ride height and shock valving are critical. If suspension geometry as well as shock damping values have been altered the stability issue you mention can very well be why.

J.S.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
B❤️Motorrad

Here’s my VIN decode:

VIN WB10432A62ZB52567
Type Code 0432
E Series 259S ()
Series R
Type
Model R1100S (USA)
Steering
Doors 0
Engine 2-ZYL
Displacement 1.10
Power 72
Drive
Transmission MECH
Colour TITANSILBER METALLIC (764)
Upholstery (0000)
Prod. Date 2002-04-25

Vehicle options
X509A Reinforced power supply
X547A Sport suspension
X779A Wide tires

The rear shock spring is blue and the shock just says SHOWA
The front shock is just all black (or really dirty)
I can wait to really detail it and replace some fasteners with stainless.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
B❤️Motorrad

Also..what’s the best thing (stuff) to use to polish this beautiful exhaust tubing?
Or should I just leave it alone?
Old 06-02-2018, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

It's a real 'prep'...

Here's what you need for proper pipe prep:

Here's what you can end up with after considerable effort - It took my 17 year old son a full weekend to earn $300 - a tough job if you're up to it:

J.S.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
B❤️Motorrad

Oh wow.
I’m gonna be single again soon....
Old 06-02-2018, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
B❤️Motorrad

About that center stand...
My buddy is a talented welder so I think we are going to take that center stand and cut it in half and lengthen it about 1.5”. Or just weld some “feet” on the bottom of the existing pads.
Then I need to come up with some new bushings and hardware that can handle 500lbs of pivoting mass.
Then I’ll have it powder coated along with all the other bits I’m pulling off hear and there.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

He's a good son. His girlfriend was giving him flack for using up all of their garage space but he was starting college the next year and told her the $300 would mean a little more time he could spend with her instead of OT at his barely minimum wage job.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
About that center stand...
My buddy is a talented welder so I think we are going to take that center stand and cut it in half and lengthen it about 1.5”. Or just weld some “feet” on the bottom of the existing pads.
Then I need to come up with some new bushings and hardware that can handle 500lbs of pivoting mass.
Then I’ll have it powder coated along with all the other bits I’m pulling off hear and there.
I've never seen an aftermarket center stand. I'm pretty sure yours is an OE part raided off of another machine - as such, you can rest assured all of the fasteners as long as they're there and uncompromised are fully up to the task.

On another note though - depending on how vigorously you exercise your machine and considering the dampers are not the originally spec'd components - the center stand could be a lean angle impediment.

If it were mine - I would source the proper length yellow spring front and rear dampers restoring it to its engineered specification, or better yet - spring for Ohlins, however those would set you back more than half of the bikes purchase price. Your machine - it's up to you. Choose wisely.

J.S.

Last edited by Jozef Schumann; 06-02-2018 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: ammended some text
Old 06-02-2018, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: