Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > Southeast - US (AR,AL,FL,GA,KY,LA,MS,NC,SC,TN)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Estimates on repaints in South East

How much should I expect to spend on a "good" exterior repaint? Its not something that needs to be addressed ASAP, but I need to be aware of what costs I will need to budget for in the future. I have seen estimates anywhere from $3-10k. Anyone inquired in ATL recently? What prices were you quoted?

Old 12-10-2006, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Paint work is one of those things where price pretty much determines quality. A $3000 paint job will look like a 3000$ paint job. There will be overspray, orange peel, etc.

Your goals for the repaint will determine the quality. If you are building a really nice street car that you will keep for awhile, Figure 8K-10K$. If you want to paint it and sell it, you can go cheaper and just send it on. A 10K$ paint job is a nice factory quality paint job. It will have thousands of hours in sanding and detail work. It will use quality materials, etc. For good materials you are looking at 1000-1500 dollars alone. That doesn't include sand paper, filler, etc.

Yes you can do it cheaper, but why. Bad body and paint work is so common these days, why not do something different and get it done right.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

paint

I just got an estimate for my '84 Targa for a complete re-spray at a quality shop which strictly does Porsche, BMW, Merc, etc., and they quoted me $5k. I've seen their work and it is flawless, and, they advertise in the Suncoast Porsche PCA magazine so they have a reputation to uphold. I can't see why anyone would pay $10k, but I agree on $2-$3000 jobs, stay away from that if you want factory quality. I decided I'm going to have my hood resprayed from them at a cost of $1400, and they will touch up all other areas like chips, etc., which are in need of attention.
Cessna 150 ~ X/country time machine
Old 01-03-2007, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Well, it all depends on who you know too. I know a guy in a small town who does factory quality work and he's no where near this expensive. Anyone can bill out 'thousands or hours for sanding' but a good and honest guy works his time effectively and generally bills his time around 25 to 55. per hour. You can save a ton by volunteering your time at the shop of your choice by doing the grunt work on some of their other paint projects to learn enough to help eliminate the big prep hours on your car. The best paint jobs and not done without major prep and you can save a knot by buying some sandpaper and a sanding D/A and also spraying good quality primer to any areas exposed metal. you can buy those sprayers that have the aerosol propellant at even lowes or AHome Depot paint department and just add your own primer but use good stuff and NOT what comes out of a spray can. Find out from local paint supply what is compatable with whatever paint your using. Dupont is highly recommended. 2 stage only unless you dont give a #$@%! Good luck and post some pics. Mark

Old 01-06-2007, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: