Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 3- European Cars > Volvo Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
timeless beauty

power steering fix save your money

Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60, V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Steering: help please

Oct 11th, 2008, 17:58 #1
lesk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi all,
my 2001 V70 auto developed a problem last week whereby when she was hot and after a few miles the steering got very noisy and rough. A lot of careful listening and inspection under the bonnet led me to diagnose a knackered pump,it appeared to have a small seepage as well. Brought a recon replacement and fitted it today to find I still have the exact same problem.The fluid reservoir seems to fill with air bubbles, I have bled the system repeatedly using the method described in haynes manual, but as soon as I start the engine and run it the system fills with bubbles and a trip around the block is enough for the steering to get noisy and rough. Before I find a tree to hang myself from, can anyone offer a suggestion as to what is wrong? Is it the rack????

lesk

lesk
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by lesk

Oct 11th, 2008, 21:10 #2
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No do not change the rack. Instead fit a new resevoir and I think you will find it will cure your problem.
There is a brass pipe in the bottle that prevents foaming of the return oil and this has a habit of detaching itself from inside thus making the oil foam and the pump noisey. You will find said pipe rattling loose in the bottom of the tank.

Paul.

Paul Clifton
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Paul Clifton

Oct 12th, 2008, 09:52 #3
lesk

hi Paul, thanks for the advice had a look this morning and there is definately a pipe loose in the bottom of the reservoir so I'll be on the phone Monday morning. As a matter of interest where does this pipe fit inside the reservoir? I have goggled for a picture and can't find anything,anyway thanks again, will post back when I have got a replacement and fitted it.

les.

lesk
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by lesk

Oct 13th, 2008, 14:51 #4
kdst5

I had this on my V70, if I remember correctly there is a plastic pipe which breaks off and you can only see the short brass pipe, you can not reattach the broken plastic part.

I also found that if you replace the old fluid with new fluid then the noise goes for a while 2-3 months in my case. Make sure you use the proper Volvo fluid though as I think ATF can make it leak.

kdst5
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by kdst5

Oct 17th, 2008, 14:16 #5
lesk

hi all,
just reporting back, new reservoir fitted today and so far no more symptoms so hopefully that one is now put to bed, Thanks to all for the advice.

les

lesk
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by lesk

Oct 17th, 2008, 17:31 #6
Chris2134

Hello

Like above I had this problem and refused to pay stealership prices. The pipe had fallen off inside the bottle and with careful work was re connected. I placed a small crimp on the brass pipe which is moulded to the reservoir... and brilliant all works. The noise from the pump you get is the fact it is 'cavitating' due to the fluid being airated. Caused by the pipe dropping off inside the reservoir.

Chris

Chris2134
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Chris2134

87 targa
Old 11-09-2008, 03:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
timeless beauty

This is what I did, after removing the reservoir from car. I was able to line up hard plastic tubing inside reservoir bottle, at the brass fitting inside the bottle ( this can take some time, make it line up and let it go and line it up again get familiar of how it lines up). Hold firmly with your finger and tap the brass fitting you see on the out side of bottle at hose fitting, to reconnect the inner tubing to the brass mounting sleeve. You will see what I'm talking about when the bottle is in your hand. Part # is on bottom of unit if you get frustrated. Wow!!! what a inexpensive fix to a possible financial crises.
2004 s80

87 targa
Old 11-09-2008, 03:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Old 11-09-2008, 03:42 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: