Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 3- European Cars > VW/Audi Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Administrator

What it's like to drive a Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia

It's just about everything you would have hoped for- or is it? It may be slow and seem like it's not very exciting as well as may not handle like a Golf R, but Jalopnik writer says, "Everyone loves the Westfalia. It makes people smile and dream, more than any other camper can, and its resale value is bulletproof." Who wouldn't love to be able to travel across the country and live out of their very own Vanagon? What do you think? Have you ever gotten behind the wheel of one?

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 08-10-2017 at 12:26 PM..
Old 08-10-2017, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Luccia at Pelican Parts, Going to be helping out one of my friends restore his this coming winter. Ill get some pictures of it tomorrow and Post them up. ^_^
Old 08-12-2017, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, there's really nothing like them. I've been driving Westies 30+ years, and the '86 I have now for 23 years, and 250K miles. I'm running an AVH 2.0L I-4, drive by wire, engine conversion, and at 140HP it's not what you'd call underpowered. Going turbo later this year (170 hp). For size, maneuverability, and function they cannot be beat. Nothing like being fully loaded up for camping, and still being able to pull in (or pull out), pop the top, and have a full size bed ready to hop into in 15 seconds! They are, however, a minimum of 25 years old so plan to put some TLC and $$$ into them if you want modern comfort, speed, mileage, and reliability.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golten951 View Post
Hi Luccia at Pelican Parts, Going to be helping out one of my friends restore his this coming winter. Ill get some pictures of it tomorrow and Post them up. ^_^
That's awesome! Please do post up a thread and share the process! Would love to share it in our VW newsletter and on our social media outlets.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithHughes View Post
Well, there's really nothing like them. I've been driving Westies 30+ years, and the '86 I have now for 23 years, and 250K miles. I'm running an AVH 2.0L I-4, drive by wire, engine conversion, and at 140HP it's not what you'd call underpowered. Going turbo later this year (170 hp). For size, maneuverability, and function they cannot be beat. Nothing like being fully loaded up for camping, and still being able to pull in (or pull out), pop the top, and have a full size bed ready to hop into in 15 seconds! They are, however, a minimum of 25 years old so plan to put some TLC and $$$ into them if you want modern comfort, speed, mileage, and reliability.
Really great input, Keith. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When I was looking for a family fun mobile a few years ago looked at a lot of Vangons and I myself love them, having spent many great times traveling Baja in a VW in a 73 VW bus, I was all in on the Westfalia Vanagon, I really wanted one then my wife got involved with the idea and learned about Eurovans and the Vanagon hunt was over....lol

We are now the proud owners of a 2003 Eurovan and I'm actually glad we went down that road, the power from the VR6 is perfect and living in SoCal with kids having real working ice-cold AC front and rear is awesome. more usable interior space than a Vanagon or Bus being front engined

Just completed a pop top conversion last summer using a 2002 donor so the big stuff is done.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: