Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replacing Flex Disc/Guibo

So I've been reading and researching tonight on why exactly my car SHUDDERS horribly whenever I hit the gas. At first it was just at WOT in 1st gear. Then it started occuring in 2nd gear, gradually appearing throughout the entire gear. TOday I noticed it in first. The shuddering/shaking occures from the center to the rear of the car. It feels like something is hopping around underneath, waiting to break off. You can't not notice it. Its so IN YOUR FACE. It gets worse whenever I try and punch the throttle.

So: Has to be something to do with transmission/driveline right? I was thinking tranny mounts, but then looked towards possible guibo failure. I've heard that they need to be replaced every 50-60k miles. I have 157k miles. I think it needs to be replaced.

Anyways, I'm not that mechanically inclined. I can do simple stuff, and have access to air tools and all types of wrenches and whatnot. I've heard that it costs around $250-300 to fix this problem, so I might want to tackle it myself and see if I can pull it off.

So, here's where it gets tricky. I'm reading a How To article on it, and the first few steps seem not too hard. Do you have to drop the entire driveshaft, or just one end of it? The exhaust removal isn't hard, I've swapped exhausts before. Removing tranny mount and center bearing support shouldnt be too hard. Its the removing the driveshaft that looks kinda difficult. Has anyone replaced the guibo before? Any hints/tips for a newbie? Anyone in Socal want to spend a couple hours helping me?

Oh yeah, pelican has great prices on the guibo. If I manage to replace this without paying a shop, I'll treat myself to a floorjack and jack stands (I won't need to always go to my friend's house to borrow his stuff).

Thanks
Oh wait...it's a stock M3
Old 06-24-2003, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Another note - I've read that the e46M3 flex disc can be used, which is stronger and beefier. Any truth to that?

I can't really fault the previous owner for this problem. I've done my fair amount of chirping with the 1-2 shift in my car. Also, my lead foot is just too heavy.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Just an update in case anyone had the same problems. SO i have a vibration through the driveshaft area under acceleration. To top it off, there's a very very bad knocking sound from the rear. My mechanic (actually he's new to me, my friend reffered him) said its the rear drive axles, these bars that connect from the diff to the rear hubs. He showed me how they were loose and and under acceleration and large amounts of torque, they caused a loud knocking. Sounded logical to me.

Anyways, he charges a very very good rate for the flex disc - something around $130 including parts and labor (the part through pelican is $55 - he barely marks up the price on parts). I took a look while the car was on the lift - the flex disc is so worn out its unbelievable. I'll get a picture of it when its taken out. So if anyone ever feels a shuddering/vibration while under accerlation - check your flex disc. Its the rubber thing with 6 bolts in it connecting the tranny to the driveshaft. Its not entirely rubber, it has a bunch of threads in it to reinforce it. The rubber on mine was complete gone, threads were hanging out.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Question:
Why doesn't someone make a solid piece of hard urathane- like the type used when upgrading suspension bushings? Seems that would be the way to go?
Old 07-19-2003, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would replace the carrier bearing while you are doing the flex disc. As it wears out, it can allow additional movement of the driveline and cause premature wear of your new flex disc.

Anyone else hear about the E46 disc being beefier and being interchangeable? I am swapping mine out in a week or so, so I may do this if it truly a better setup.

As for making them out of urethane, I would imagine that it has to do with urethane's torsional strength. Urethane has excellent compression and expansion strength, but I have never seen it used in a twisting motion at all. It may work ok like that, but then again, it may transfer a ton of harmonics through the driveline.

Good question though,
Dean
Old 07-20-2003, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: