View Single Post
Did you get the memo?

While I seriously dig the latest fad of big high performance center consoles, we spend a LOT of time on our swim platform. It’s one of the key things we are looking at while shopping for our next boat. Which would be seriously missed with an outboard setup. All of my boating is freshwater though, I would more seriously consider outboards if I was in saltwater because they are much easier to maintain. Much of the I/O maintenance burden is associated with operating them in saltwater.

One other note to add onto what the good doctor said, I wouldn’t focus so much on the “unsinkable” factor. For me it would be much more emphasis on either an all composite boat (no wood), or a boat with minimal wood. Further to that, boats that use marine treated high quality wood that has been encapsulated in fiberglass will be much better as well. Most older boats will have at least some amount of wood involved in the structure, that’s where buying a quality brand comes into play. I would never buy an old Bayliner to fix up because the odds are very good that you’ll find more problems the deeper you get due to the cheap build quality. I would much rather get a high quality boat that has cosmetic or mechanical needs because it will be a good opportunity to update as you repair and replace.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)