Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
What is this piece on the bottom of the CIS airbox?

See photo. Metal pipe that goes into the bottom of the airbox. What is this? Should it be sealed somehow? My engine has had so much silicone where it shouldnít and Iím having trouble even finding the name of this part so itís hard to find out if it needs o rings or what. Also I tried blowing throw it on both ends and nothing moves it acts completely clogged. Good or bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-20-2020, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Old 11-20-2020, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

ADD - cardinal rule for seeking advice is to identify your model.

I can guess that this is not a late SC - it has the flexible injector lines. Someone may recognize it by other characteristics, like a 73.5T. But is or was this engine from a Sportomatic, which has some extra plumbing? Or is it a US 2.7 and it is part of the exhaust gas recirculation system.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Mysterious part........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post

That steel tube goes to the EGR.

Tony
Old 11-20-2020, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
77 911s.

Should there be an o ring?

Old 11-21-2020, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

looks like the upper part of California EGR system.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Do I need it???

Old 11-21-2020, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

You in California? Or some other state which, for emissions purposes, requires you have all the EGR equipment? Probably then yes.

If where rules are laxer, and all you have to do is pass a gas sniffing test, then maybe not. Without the EGR pump and plumbing and all the rest, you probably should just plug the hole in the plastic air box, if it is screwed in there.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
So.... I have no idea where my car was from originally, but I don't have an EGR system. I don't have air injection or a smog pump. This pipe is clogged; it looks like someone jammed a piece of metal in the end of it, and threaded on another adaptor to seal it.

I really really do not want a vacuum leak on the bottom of my airbox. How are people sealing this area? The metal 'hex' on the bottom o the airbox is molded into the plastic, afaik you cannot unthread it.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

In the absence of advice from someone who has dealt with this exact issue, if you are correct that the piece cannot be unscrewed from the plastic of the air box (so a plug could be screwed in in its place), you could just cut it off at that point and fashion a plug. JBWeld (or just about any other adhesive) ought to hold it in place just fine. If you leave a rim on the plug which extends beyond the diameter of the hole, the vacuum in the air box will help keep it in place. If you have or add a pop-off valve in the air box (a good idea with this model), that should prevent backfires from trying to blow the plug out.

I've capped an unused opening in the left side of my 3.0's air box with a plastic cap glued in place - has worked fine.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
You are correct. It is an EGR pipe.
The plug will unscrew but it can be a real pain. The problem is, if you torque on it toooo hard it can break the air box. An electric impact that can generate a consistent hammering generally works well.

The threaded piece can then be glued or welded for a somewhat permanent seal.

If removing the EGR will prevent smog compliance (IE: California) send me an email. I can help with that.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 11-24-2020, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
No worry about smog here. I'm going to try to use an electric impact to remove it, and report back.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

I used to have a 1978 SC and if I remember correctly someone here on Pelican told me that an oil tank drain plug was an exact fit to seal the airbox. My SC had a non functioning EGR that had the pipe crimped to seal it.
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 11-25-2020, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I used the aluminum drain plug seal along with the oil tank drain plug to seal up the air box
1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 11-25-2020, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Oil tank plug, sump cover drain plug, some transmissions plugs all fit. It's a fairly common plug on Porsches.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 11-26-2020, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

It was probably Henry that told me to use the drain plug!

Old 11-26-2020, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: