Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Overseas Ford Ranger Diesel?

Duratorq is the name, Ecoblue is another. Is this made in house by Ford or is it someone else's re-badged lil' diesel? 200 hp, over 300lb of tq. Plenty.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
King Broinyo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine
Old 01-08-2021, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I can't speak for Ford but I understand that Jeep sells a diesel Wrangler over seas. Apparently the Mercedes engine. An Aussie I know who now lives in America can not understand why America does not sell more diesels in America. He says almost all pick ups in Australia is diesel. It would not surprise me if Ford sold a diesel ranger over seas.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
It just blows my mind that diesels aren't more of a thing here. One of the best little "trucks" my dad owned was a Volkswagen diesel.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Love my diesel. It’s the perfect fit for a truck. You can now get a Wrangler with a diesel in the USA, I’m not sure if the Ranger is getting one though. I would kill for a brand new 70-series Land Cruiser out of Oz with a turbo diesel, manual transmission, and factory snorkel.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

The Ranger has a that small diesel overseas. I am still curious who's engine is it and why isn't it here in the US?

Matt, I think the Canadian had the option of a diesel fj 80 from Toyota. I love my big Duramax. Plenty of power but these little diesels engines are more then 70% there with the hp and tq numbers in a lighter, smaller truck.

Toyota and Nissan brought in a small diesel trucks back in the 80s. I remember seeing them or smelling them rather. I got talking to this equip repairman that drove a Nissan way back. He thinks it has all of 63 hp. The thing can't get out of it own way, but it has 400,000 original miles and it just kept going.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
Rangers are sold with 2.5 litre diesels in the UK.Up until a year or so ago no-one here would but one with a petrol engine. The market for diesel cars is completely dead now in the UK. The fuel is more costly, petrol engines have caught up in economy because diesel engines haven't had any development for about 5 years as our Government want rid of them because if particulate emissions danger to health .There are lots full of unsold diesel 4x4s, SUVs, hatchbacks.Electric cars and petrol hybrid cars are eating into the car market. We don't have idiots here that block charging stations or use pickups to roll coal on electric cars . Many people have dash cans and would probably report such a pollution incident, I certainly would . Anyway, our annual inspection would get such an ill- adjusted diesel.
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 01-08-2021, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I want one too. Dammit.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
WTF is wrong with auto manufacturers? It seems like they all sell cars elsewhere that would be very desirable, but won't sell them here
Old 01-08-2021, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Too many Karens in the USA who don't want a smelly diesel (fumes, or fuel), and too many stupid kids who ruin the diesel's reputation with their "rolling coal" antics.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
WTF is wrong with auto manufacturers? It seems like they all sell cars elsewhere that would be very desirable, but won't sell them here
I think it must have something to do with having the biggest engine, truck and so on you know, the American way or Everything is bigger in TX?
There's sure plenty of big diesel pick ups that are pumping out 400+ hp with 800+ lb in tq? Heck, I want one, but what the heck for if I am not going to tow. My Duramax is more then good enough with it it has. Don't get me wrong, I like big trucks with plenty of room to more around in, but its getting too bit and too tall. I was just looking and thinking when my kids go off to school in a few more years, I will not need such a big truck (crew cab, 8' bed) to travel in with just me and wife. I like Diesels, for their fuel mileage, so I started looking and the Ranger popped up. Its nice one but we can't get it.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Too many Karens in the USA who don't want a smelly diesel (fumes, or fuel), and too many stupid kids who ruin the diesel's reputation with their "rolling coal" antics.
Plenty of diesels sold through out the US including CA or Socal for that matter. When I bought my Cummings back in mid 2000, I have trouble finding diesel. Now, they are in every corner here in the city. I never saw another diesel truck for miles. My dumb was the only one clicking and clanking all over the place. Great truck.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Turn them into veggie burners. Exhaust smells like french fries.
BTW, I'm not far from UNOH... tell me about it.

Doesn't Ford have a babystroke in the F150?

Last edited by cabmando; 01-09-2021 at 05:09 AM..
Old 01-09-2021, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

The big three all offer smaller diesels in their 1/2 ton trucks. They are more MPG biased than towing biased. Not that they don’t tow, but they aren’t tow monsters like the bigger trucks. My F250 was purchased for towing so that’s not a good fit for my use, so I’ve never driven one.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
It just blows my mind that diesels aren't more of a thing here. One of the best little "trucks" my dad owned was a Volkswagen diesel.
My 1986 Diesel Golf blew a head gasket under warranty.

Apparently a common thing, and expensive at 3 times my weekly wages at the time.

If newer Diesels didn't sound louder and stink more than the old ones that used higher sulfur fuel I'd consider getting another one.

It would have to be turbo this time, I'm getting older can't wait all day to get to 60 mph.
George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 01-09-2021 at 06:49 AM..
Old 01-09-2021, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

The diesel engines that were good, really good, were the early 2000's VW ALH engine. Super-reliable and very good fuel consumption.

Those engines do not come close to meeting today's emission standards. The standards today make the engines so complicated they are unreliable and expensive.

Diesel here is dead. I will drive my 2002 until it dies, it's my last diesel car.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
Very true. Ford sells a Ranger Raptor in Europe. Its still a year or two away from the US market.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2019/04/29/new-_bad-ass_-ford-ranger-raptor-brings-ultimate-off-road-pick-u.html
1995 993 Carrera 4 SOLD
2004 Land Rover Discovery II G4 Edition (Sold )
Old 01-09-2021, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
In the UK the current Ranger is also available with a 3.2 litre with 6 speed auto.i think it is due to be replaced soon.It is considered a large pickup here. The giant US ones are basically useless here as they are too big to manoeuvre in our streets and they would eat our very expensive fuel .Panel vans are far more popular as the load is secured from thieves and the weather.
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 01-09-2021, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
You could always order the new f-150 with a diesel...

https://dieselresource.com/diesel-blog/2021-ford-f-150-3-0l-powerstroke-specs-revealed/

Nothing American now, but own a couple German diesels now. Cayenne and Q5. The Q5 will pin you back pretty good.. The Cayenne moves out well too.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 01-10-2021, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Plenty of diesels sold through out the US including CA or Socal for that matter. When I bought my Cummings back in mid 2000, I have trouble finding diesel. Now, they are in every corner here in the city. I never saw another diesel truck for miles. My dumb was the only one clicking and clanking all over the place. Great truck.
My daughter has my old truck (7.3L F250), we have owned my 6.0L Excursion for 5 years now, my JD855 mower, and my JD 300 backhoe are all diesel.

I probably won't buy another diesel tow vehicle however with the better power/torque stats of the new gas motors that match the older diesels.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: