Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Porsche knowledgeable Attorney near Austin Texas Needed

I'm looking for a recommendation for representation in Austin Texas.

I had to completely rebuild this motor because i found it WAS FULL OF METAL SHAVINGS.

Thank you,

Matt

My cell is 267 767 4565
Email marianimotorsport@gmail.com
Instagram @the_r_institute

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1040045-check-out-bondo-repair-new-post.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/1039718-sale-rebuilt-zero-hour-930-64-engine.html

Last edited by Fixer; 01-10-2021 at 06:25 AM..
Old 01-09-2021, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Generally you dont want to let someone know you are going to sue them you just do it.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į
Old 01-09-2021, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Reiver

Luck to you.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Iíve followed this saga and it sucks.

That said, itís probably in your best interest to gather your communications, contact a lawyer and just sue him. Posting publicly opens the possibility that he counters with libel...
Old 01-09-2021, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Good advice re moving ahead. He's not in the business of rebuilding Porsche engines so let him try. Plenty of these kinds of squabbles are aired here. I want people to know as he advertised it For Sale here on this forum.
I was being more than fair and I don't think he should be able to sell here. I'd feel differently if he at minimum said sorry and offered up something as a gesture. But he said "sue me or move along". So that's where we are.

He advertised this engine For Sale on this forum. This is Merchant feedback.

As long as what you say is factually true you are protected and I've got about 1000 photos, thousands in receipts and will have affidavits. This is where he sells and I'm leaving factual feedback plain and simple.

It could have all been civil had he acted in a decent, understanding manor. Once he got his money his whole demeanor changed.

I'm as shocked by this as everyone as I liked Christian, I even sent him stickers in the mail a year prior.

If someone can recommend an Attorney in the Austin area please forward their contact information.

Kind regards,

Matt

Last edited by Fixer; 01-10-2021 at 06:05 AM..
Old 01-09-2021, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Luck to you.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2021, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showdown View Post
Iíve followed this saga and it sucks.

That said, itís probably in your best interest to gather your communications, contact a lawyer and just sue him. Posting publicly opens the possibility that he counters with libel...
Thank you, point taken.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'm guessing "errors and omissions" within the realm of contract law.
A good business contract attorney would be an approach to consider also.

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 01-09-2021, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_gear_Ted View Post
I'm guessing "errors and omissions" within the realm of contract law.
A good business contract attorney would be an approach to consider also.
Thank you. Good idea.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If you do not find any leads from this post, you can contact the Texas State Bar Association's referral service.

Its unfortunate beyond belief that there wasn't a reasonable settlement reached well before this point. I would suggest, as others have, to keep the balance of this pursuit offline going forward.

Best of luck with it all, its a very unfortunate situation that I share after a sight unseen purchase out of Colorado. No more scotch powered vintage car shopping online for me!
Old 01-09-2021, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Unregistered

Old 01-09-2021, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1752 View Post
If you do not find any leads from this post, you can contact the Texas State Bar Association's referral service.

Its unfortunate beyond belief that there wasn't a reasonable settlement reached well before this point. I would suggest, as others have, to keep the balance of this pursuit offline going forward.

Best of luck with it all, its a very unfortunate situation that I share after a sight unseen purchase out of Colorado. No more scotch powered vintage car shopping online for me!
Thanks and I will. It's tough to come to an agreement when the other side will not reply to your emails.

Since heís selling online, he may be opening himself up to jurisdiction in all 50 states. I'm talking to a local Attorney now. But if smart as I keep hoping he'd do the right thing and say sorry, here's the 6k back to help out.

I'm most annoyed because my wife was right and I was wrong yet again..

Last edited by Fixer; 01-10-2021 at 06:04 AM..
Old 01-10-2021, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
I had that haircut once.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Well, I had a Montgomery County judge tell me just that when I was practicing-that internet sellers open themselves to jurisdiction in the buyer's state.
Short facts-client sold a working industrial machine to a company in South Dakota. They sued him there, got an unopposed judgement, then filed judgement in Pa. We moved to strike using the jurisdiction argument and failed. Plus, in SD prevailing party gets atty's fees, which were almost as much as the 20k judgement.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-10-2021, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Well ***** Matt. This sucks on multiple levels. Good luck on getting it worked out.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 01-10-2021, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Let me preface this by stating that while I am an attorney, I am not licensed in Texas.

That being said, unless the seller has sufficient contacts in the buyer’s state, the buyer’s state will not have jurisdiction over this case. An example would be the seller actively advertising or directly selling in the buyer’s state. A generic ad such as on this forum would be doubtful as to having sufficient contact with the buyer’s state. See: https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-8515/92742/20190322101738838_00000011.pdf

In this case, the buyer is claiming a fraudulent sale. The buyer just needs an attorney that is well versed in fraudulent sales. No need for an attorney with knowledge of Porsche engines. The case will be judged on evidence of what was advertised and what the product turned out to be.

I think the buyer is going to have a difficult time prevailing in this case. The rationale being that the seller was not the entity that did the engine rebuild. I would imagine the seller’s attorney is going to state that the seller relied on information provided to him by the individual he bought the engine from.

Of course, if the buyer has evidence that the seller performed his own inspection of the engine and stated it was in “like new condition”, that could certainly change the weight of the evidence in this case.

Last edited by Rot 911; 01-10-2021 at 02:39 PM..
Old 01-10-2021, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

"Of course, if the buyer has evidence that the seller performed his own inspection of the engine and stated it was in ďlike new conditionĒ, that could certainly change the weight of the evidence in this case.[/QUOTE]"

And there it is! Thank you!
Old 01-11-2021, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Great lesson here boys and girls

Super sad and a lot of money for a turd

Any contract attorney will take your money

Before you spend more good money to chase lost money have your damages assessed by a qualified mechanic. Any good shop can do the assessment.

Second, do an assets search on the seller. Cant get blood from a rock so before you chase him/her/undecided/unsure see if there is something to get. Last, remember if you win in court you still have to collect and this is usually the hardest part.

PS> Newly built engines will have some metal shavings on magnetic drain plug and in filter. This is why break in oil is used and changed quickly on all new component builds. Not chunks but light flecks/shaving on drain plug not unusual. Second oil change after 200-500 miles. Then, usual oil annually or 3500 mi.

Love to hear a professional shops assessment of metal shavings though?

Last edited by 996AE; 01-11-2021 at 05:45 PM..
Old 01-11-2021, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

I am confused. Does the serial number on the engine RarlyL8 sold match what you received?

Is it a different engine, or did he disassemble it and screw it up?
Old 01-12-2021, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
I am confused. Does the serial number on the engine RarlyL8 sold match what you received?

Is it a different engine, or did he disassemble it and screw it up?
Brian did nothing wrong, the motor showed up there full of metal shavings and altered. Brian didn't hack off the engine harness or switch out the intake manifold, distributor and cap etcetera. When I say metal shaving think milling machine not what you see in oil after a rebuild.

Besides, the person who advertised, sold and received the money is who is responsible. Please don't bring Brian into this he's a stand up guy. Chris however is not.

Matt

Old 01-12-2021, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: