Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Yup, the $400-$1,000 super replicas are something else.... glad you found Watchfinder & Co.’s YouTube channel. Tons of great reviews and opinions there!

Replicas are a subject unto themselves and one that sparks as many varied opinions as politics and religion do, so I rather not get into it. All I’ll say is that if you buy them to show off, those that know will know it’s fake, and if you buy them to show off to those that may not know the difference, then why do you want to show off to those people? In any case, to each their own and it’s not my place to render judgment on anyone who chooses that path.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
That's my dad's Hamilton. 14K + diamonds. I never even saw it until after he passed. Fact is, sad or otherwise, I have zero connection to this watch and due to the style, have only worn it once to a wedding. It's worth $750-$1000. My plan is to sell that one and apply the funds to the aforementioned purchase.

Jeez, don't let Lewis Hamilton hear you. He may seek an injunction to keep you from selling, or may sue for the profits of your sale.
1995 993 Carrera 4 SOLD
2004 Land Rover Discovery II G4 Edition (Sold )
Old 01-14-2021, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
What about Bremont? ETA COSC movements with extra durability additions in very well made cases.
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 01-15-2021, 02:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead611 View Post
What about Bremont? ETA COSC movements with extra durability additions in very well made cases.
Never heard of this one. Don't see anything in their catalog I like. Some high dollar pieces in there!
Old 01-15-2021, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Registered

Bremonts are very nice watches made in the UK. It is a fairly new company, but their timepieces are well made. One cool watch is their MBI. It is a very exclusive club as to qualify for a purchase, you have to have been ejected from a plane in a Martin Baker ejection seat!
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-15-2021, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
Just buy a Glycine. Ashwood sell them at big discount, so only a few hundred USD for a very solid watch, with
ETA 2893 movement for the GMT versions.
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 01-16-2021, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Registered

Glycines are also available on Drop.com. I got a Goldeneye for under $400. Nice watch, but I thought the crown felt flimsy.
14 535i M Sport
Old 01-16-2021, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Rolex or Glycine.

Rolls Royce or Hyundai.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
On Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocaholic View Post
Rolex or Glycine.

Rolls Royce or Hyundai.
This sums it up..

I have bought a lot of "budget" (sub 1k) watches trying to scratch an itch.. Always coveted the Rolex Sub. Finally bought a 14060M in the late 90's. it was the right watch for me. All these years later and having owned other great watches.. Panerai, B&R, Omega,etc.. If I could only keep one watch.. it would be my 2 liner 14060m Sub.

If I was trying to scratch that itch today I would buy a used Sub from the 80'or 90's, while the possibility of a fake is real, there are quaility used sellers out there if you do your home work.

The modern Subs are too big for everyday wear for me. The older 40mm are much easier to wear.

Go with the original 007 Bond or go home
Old 01-16-2021, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Registered

I dont think an Explorer or President would scratch that itch. It's Sub only if you like the unidirectional bezel. The cheapo feel of the GMT bezel was a deal killer for me. I would say you have to go try them on, so a reputable dealer of pre-owned Rolex would be the only way I would recommend. Have them open the back, and inspect the movement and the bracelet. Look for worn links, etc etc.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
So, watch guy here. Had the same thoughts. But it always came back to feeling better about wearing a vintage Seiko and only being sort of pissed if I marred or broke it vs being SUPREMELY pissed if I did the same to the Rolex.

If you have FOMO about the Rolex, as someone mentioned early in the thread get a Tudor. That way if you smack the crap out of it, you're only out $3 - $4k. A great watch that trends younger than Rolex - at least in my expereince.

Here 's a good article comparing them.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/resources/rolex-vs-tudor.html

Finally, I'd be interested in the Seiko Pogues if you are going sell them. Shoot me a PM if you decide to do so.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 01-17-2021, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yeah - you truly need to decide what you like, and go with it.
My current watch is an Explorer II. Does everything I need it to.
I have worn since 2004 - and just had it serviced for the first time last year.
Looks mint, and negligible wear in the bracelet. They make them heavier and more durable now.
Everyone seems to like Polar White dial - I am happy I went with the black.
The current Explorer II is either 41 or 42mm dial - and just seems too big.
THe bezel shape is quite a bit ‘slimmer’ than a sub, which allows it to wear dressier.
With travel (pre-2020, of course), the GMT movement is really handy. Really the only way I can keep my wits about me relative to local time vs. home time.
The oyster perpetual is also a really nice and clean look. The Air King and Explorer variants are really just different versions of the OP. They are also in the 40mm+ size range - and that just seems too big (for me). The OP is available in 39, 36, 34 and I think down to 28mm.
Some neat and vibrant colors re-introduced this year. A powder blue dial, bright red and pink are all available. I also think there’s a bright yellow one.

Good luck, and please post photos once you take the plunge.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

Anyone here have a Ball watch?

https://youtu.be/0mCTWaMC5vA
Old 01-18-2021, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:

Yes I have DLC fireman (I think). I Bought it preowned around 9 years ago. I wore it every day for at least 5 years, including working on cars and sleeping.

It still works great and keeps perfect time. I dont wear it all that much anymore, unless I know I will be outside at night. The tritum tubes constant glow at night is super cool.

It is a great watch. It is probably as nice as my sinn 104. Its not quite up to modern rolex and omega for fit and finish. The crown action isnt super smooth for example and the hands are simply good. The dial is really well done a cut above most $1000 watches.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:

I have a Ball Fireman Racer and it is a great tool watch. It takes a beating! No problems whatsoever. The Ball in that video is much thicker than the Sub, and if you are okay with that, look at Marathon or Deep Blue. They aren't a Sub, but are durable as hell! There is also the Panerai Pam 24

14 535i M Sport
Old 01-18-2021, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Never banned

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
The Chinese have multiple factories that make fake Rolex's. They're getting better all the time and it looks like they have no shortage of customers. But I would never encourage the purchase of a replica watch.

A Homage Watch is a good alternative and there are lots & lots of options.

However... If I had the cash to burn I would be biding on one of these.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Registered

Regarding the post above and Stallone’s “involvement” with Panerai, perhaps this article may shed some interesting light..... https://perezcope.com/2020/12/23/the-stallone-panerai-logo-story-debunked/
Old 01-18-2021, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Registered

I've had my Pam24 for about 10 years or so and it is a great watch. In the past 2 years, I have lost about 50 lbs, and the watch does not fit me as well. It is 44mm, but wears bigger. It is also quite heavy. I have a 7" wrist, and if you have a smaller wrist, you might look at the smaller Panerais. I believe they have a few models at 40mm.

14 535i M Sport
Old 01-18-2021, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: