Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

1973 Porsche 911 Factory Tour Video

Lots of longhood content, Kitschy 70's feel, and a good waste of a half hour.

1969 911T Coupe
1972 911E Targa
Old 01-17-2021, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Opening shot...pit crew guy wearing glasses. Hard to tell, so I could be wrong...but sure looks like Grady Clay to me.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

It’s pretty dark, and I watched it on my iPhone, but it gave me the impression it was Peter Falk. Maybe I’ll watch it later on something bigger.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
1988 Carrera

Garage
Worth the time. Thanks
72'914 gone
72' 914 gone too
Old 01-17-2021, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What is this?

Neat video, but what is this factory team member Tig welding? Looks like a structural reinforcement behind the area he is working on, but the flange doesn't looks familiar. It appears he is working in a 911 area, whether it is regular production or specialty (i.e. racing) as opposed to an area for the 917 that was shown, but I'm not sure how cramped the factory really is! I've looked at heat exchangers, front struts, rear trailing arms, and torsion tubes. Any ideas?
Old 01-17-2021, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Nice! Proud to have German blood in my veins! Thanks, Dave!
Old 01-17-2021, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Iíve had that on a DVD for about 15 years. Itís a keeper.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I love how they made the adjustment with a big crowbar on that Targa.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
Opening shot...pit crew guy wearing glasses. Hard to tell, so I could be wrong...but sure looks like Grady Clay to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Itís pretty dark, and I watched it on my iPhone, but it gave me the impression it was Peter Falk. Maybe Iíll watch it later on something bigger.

Not sure about Grady or Peter Falk, but I definitely saw Peter Gregg during the video somewhere.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 01-18-2021, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
That video makes me want to run out and spend $200k on a perfect early 911S.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
Not sure about Grady or Peter Falk, but I definitely saw Peter Gregg during the video somewhere.
You sure did..."Peter Perfect"...Peter & Hurley were pretty much the unbeatable team back in the day. May Peter rest in peace.

The reason I suspected Grady is that he did a lot of pit crewing back in the day for various teams. With his skills he was more than a welcome addition. Hellofa driver in his own right, too.

Denis? Go ahead...spend the money. As for me? Been there-done that. Still have a few T shirts, too. But no matter how hard you try, those days aren't coming back.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I haven't seem that film in a while.

At War Bonnet Tech we had a 16mm movie of it. We had a projection room and tried to play it on the hour for an afternoon for the people there. We would play that film, and Rendezvous which was fairly new. The sound track from Rendezvous would bring in lots of guys, the sound of an engine screaming, tire sequel and lots of shifting was great.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-18-2021, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

I remember those days. I still have a copy of Rendezvous.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Thatís really cool... the way the cars were built by hand, seeing them set up all the machining / jigs, etc. is really awesome.

Weíve lost something since those days... aside from sideburns and bad fashion. These cars have soul unlike all the mass-produced, computer-designed, robot-assembled stuff today. Sure the new cars are ďbetterĒ and more precise, etc. and the power is insane (500+ hp?!?!) but personally Iíd rather have my lowly mid-year 911 any day just because itís so visceral and imperfect and simple and unique. I donít need to pretend Iím a race car driver, I just love the experience and the fact that driving actually can be FUN.

Thanks for sharing that video! Itís given me some long-needed inspiration to get my 911 out here and actually do something with it rather than just sit in storage for ďsomedayĒ. Iíve gotten pretty complacent and rather indifferent about cars and driving and Iíll even admit Iíd considered getting rid of my 911(ďitís not worth the hassleĒ, ďitís too expensive to fix upĒ, ďI donít have the time or anyplace to really work on itĒ, ďIíll be too afraid to drive it once I pour all that time / effort / expense into it ď, etc.)

But thatís not the kind of mindset that won all them races now, is it?

Maybe itís time to rekindle the love and reignite that spark... Once upon a time I just found the time and money and made it happen. No reason I canít do that now. Those are just BS excuses and I know it.

Seriously - this video captures why I think the air-cooled cars are special and why I got one in the first place... now Iím gettiní that itch back!

Last edited by Porsche-O-Phile; 01-19-2021 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Fixing typos and generally awful word choices.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devodave View Post

...........Looks like a structural reinforcement behind the area he is working on, but the flange doesn't looks familiar.
Exhaust? Maybe a wastegate mounting flange? The car in that sequence is not a production model but they were fiddling with turbos on the flat six since 1969 from this article. https://sportscardigest.com/history-of-the-porsche-911-turbo/

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 01-19-2021 at 07:54 AM..
Old 01-19-2021, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:

Denis? Go ahead...spend the money. As for me? Been there-done that. Still have a few T shirts, too. But no matter how hard you try, those days aren't coming back.
You may be correct wrt buying an old car not having the pleasure delivery expected, I bought a bucket list motorcycle last year that may or may not make me as happy as it cost. The cool thing is these days, though, is that if you buy the best, you can get out of it anytime and usually for a profit. A primo early 911, unless you really overpay, is a risk-free experiment.

What is stopping me is the fact that my $$ is making $$ right now.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Itís pretty dark, and I watched it on my iPhone, but it gave me the impression it was Peter Falk. Maybe Iíll watch it later on something bigger.
Could be the great man himself, Norbert Singer.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
I'm with you.

Hair parted on left side
Heavy glasses
Tall forehead
Pronounced bone structure above eyebrows
Long thinner, but straight, nose bridge
Nose tip about the same.

Cant see if mustache due to shadow.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 01-19-2021 at 09:26 AM..
Old 01-19-2021, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by devodave View Post

Neat video, but what is this factory team member Tig welding? Looks like a structural reinforcement behind the area he is working on, but the flange doesn't looks familiar. It appears he is working in a 911 area, whether it is regular production or specialty (i.e. racing) as opposed to an area for the 917 that was shown, but I'm not sure how cramped the factory really is! I've looked at heat exchangers, front struts, rear trailing arms, and torsion tubes. Any ideas?
My guess is that was a prototype intake manifold for one of the blown flat-12s. That's not what the intake manifolds looked like on the race cars (they were cast aluminum) but maybe they were trying out some developmental idea.

The area pictured in that part of the video was the race shop out at Weissach; later shots were from the 911 production line at the Stuttgart factory.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: